Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:19 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,068,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
never in all my years have i ever heard dallas and atlanta being PRAISED for their restaurant scene. on the other hand, that's one of the only things you will see houston praised for. but keep in mind that me saying houston is the better food city doesn't mean i'm saying atlanta is a bad one. you can find great food anywhere

if nothing else, it's houston's diversity that gives it the edge over atlanta
I guess it depends on where you're standing...or more likely, what you want to believe. As far as Atlanta goes, I hear it praised frequently for its' restaurant community. I'm sure you hear the same about Houston. But like I said before, to say one is superior to the other is a matter of pure conjecture...until the day that the Restaurant God descends from Mount Olympus and makes the definitive pronouncement.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:24 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I guess it depends on where you're standing...or more likely, what you want to believe. As far as Atlanta goes, I hear it praised frequently for its' restaurant community. I'm sure you hear the same about Houston. But like I said before, to say one is superior to the other is a matter of pure conjecture...until the day that the Restaurant God descends from Mount Olympus and makes the definitive pronouncement.
if you say so

all you have to do is look around these forums and it will be obvious which city most people say has the overall better food scene. as far as i'm concerned, it's not even a competition

however, it should be pointed out that dallas and atlanta are the only two cities with 5-star restaurants (last i checked)

Old 03-10-2010, 10:52 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Quote:
if you say so

all you have to do is look around these forums and it will be obvious which city most people say has the overall better food scene. as far as i'm concerned, it's not even a competition

however, it should be pointed out that dallas and atlanta are the only two cities with 5-star restaurants (last i checked)
I hate to break it to you, but this forum is hardly the ultimate decider. There's a big world outside of this forum, 99.9% of whom have never even heard of city-data.

Check out some legitimate sources such as food magazines and you'll see that both Dallas and Atlanta have excellent restaurant scenes, as do Houston and other cities that might befuddle some of this forum's chest-thumpers, especially those from the Northeast and the West Coast who poo-poo anything from the Sunbelt.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:31 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I hate to break it to you, but this forum is hardly the ultimate decider. There's a big world outside of this forum, 99.9% of whom have never even heard of city-data.
i never said city-data was the ultimate decider. never even hinted at it. what i said is that lovindecatur could use these forums as an example

Quote:
Check out some legitimate sources such as food magazines and you'll see that both Dallas and Atlanta have excellent restaurant scenes, as do Houston and other cities that might befuddle some of this forum's chest-thumpers, especially those from the Northeast and the West Coast who poo-poo anything from the Sunbelt.
i have seen other sources such as food magazines and websites, for example the numerous publications that tout houston's tony's restaurant as one of the best italian establishments in the nation. comparable to the one's new york

and i never said dallas and atlanta didn't have good restaurant scenes. i said houston's was better. just it's regional cultural diversity alone is what gives it the edge. tex-mex, soul food, barbecue, cajun, fresh seafood...all these cuisines are dominant and twined into the culture of southeast texas. people can argue it all they want, but atlanta has NOTHING comparable to that alone. houston sits at a regional crossroads

and the end of the day, it all depends on one's own personal opinion. but what you will hear from most people is that houston is the better city for cuisine

Old 03-10-2010, 11:32 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
never in all my years have i ever heard dallas and atlanta being PRAISED for their restaurant scene. on the other hand, that's one of the only things you will see houston praised for. but keep in mind that me saying houston is the better food city doesn't mean i'm saying atlanta is a bad one. you can find great food anywhere

I had this long answer typed up with links and facts.I was almost finished tweakin it when I hit the wrong key.ERASED EVERYTHING

Anyway to paraphrase my reply.I basically was refering to the fact that since before the Olympics,Atlanta dining scene has always been praised.Atlanta has had more 4 and 5 star Mobil rated restaurants than Houston by far over the years.Everycity does not have a 5 star restuarant.
)
Gayot rates Paces 88 #7 and RDG+Bar Annie #8 for 2010 Americas newest Top 10 resturants.I f you check their site out you will see that Atlanta has been a perennial favorite over the last 20years.These are not just "trendy restaurants".

RDG + Bar Annie Houston Top 10 Ten Best New Restaurants in the United States Gayot

Dallas routinely has higher rated restaurants just as much as Atlanta has.Houston has always dragged behind in these rankings.

As far as diversity goes it has nothing to with the restaurant scene unless we were comparing cities that have nothing in common.Most American cities are diverse.Even if I agreed with your opinion(and others) that Houston is more diverse,we still are not talking as if Atlanta were like Tokyo and Houston is NYC. Remember we are talking "fine dining"..How many Mexican,Texan or even Cajun?Not saying they do not exist.Just not many.
Diversity in food has more to do with culture and ethnicity not just race.

In Atlanta we have more European and Mediterean transplants than Houston.From Russian like (Nikolai's Roof),Italian(Ecco,2006 Awarded best new Restaurant in America) and French is about the best in the South(outside of New Orleans).
I have also been told that Thai food selection in Atlanta is oddly good and varied'.This was said about the thai scene in Atlanta in a national article from Associated Content:
Quote:
Eating Great Thai Food in Atlanta is Easy
Atlanta, Georgia, is a true melting pot of cultures and tastes. Atlanta boasts some of the best Thai food in the world

One of my favorites is Social.Its a Brazilian restaurant lounge .Their seems to have been a real big surge of Brazilian places over the last 6 years.

Atlanta has its share of "trendy" restaurants as you say,but the perennial favorites that have been ranked year in and out are classic in design and execution.

These list are subjective and they change every year.But for anyone to say that Atlanta is not "known" in circles as a "foodie" town is just not accurate.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:58 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
i never said city-data was the ultimate decider. never even hinted at it. what i said is that lovindecatur could use these forums as an example

i have seen other sources such as food magazines and websites, for example the numerous publications that tout houston's tony's restaurant as one of the best italian establishments in the nation. comparable to the one's new york

and i never said dallas and atlanta didn't have good restaurant scenes. i said houston's was better. just it's regional cultural diversity alone is what gives it the edge. tex-mex, soul food, barbecue, cajun, fresh seafood...all these cuisines are dominant and twined into the culture of southeast texas. people can argue it all they want, but atlanta has NOTHING comparable to that alone. houston sits at a regional crossroads

and the end of the day, it all depends on one's own personal opinion. but what you will hear from most people is that houston is the better city for cuisine
I counted the 4 and 5 star restaurants in Houston ,Dallas and Atlanta.This year no city had any.But Atlanta has 3 4star to Houston 1 4 star.This year Dallas beats Atlanta and Houston.
Mobil Travel Guide: Listing Restaurants of Dallas, Texas

3 STARS
Houston 21
Atlanta I stop counting at 27
Mobil Travel Guide: Listing Restaurants of Atlanta, Georgia
Houston is much bigger than Atlanta too.
Thats not even close.So who's opinion should we use now?I'll take Mobil/Forbes.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:19 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,838,653 times
Quote:

Dallas-Fort Worth and Atlanta both have excellent restaurants. Are you sure man you visit the North Texas region often?

Old 03-10-2010, 01:26 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
Quote:
well of course not, but in houston's case, not only does it have great diversity but it's very integrated as well. you have kids from nigeria, vietnam, india, mexico, and russia all growing up in the same neighborhoods, being exposed to each other's cultures. that's what you call a melting pot
Cool. You see it your way, I see it mine.

----------------------------------------------------------

Best food city is subjective.
Personally, I've had better food in Houston and Dallas than I've had in Atlanta. That means nothing after you look at what I've eaten in each city, though.

In Houston I've mainly eaten Asian, Mexican, Soul Food, and Seafood. The 2 categories that stood out to me there was Mexican and Soul Food. Both were the best that I've ever had in my life. The Asian and Seafood was great, but not the best that I've had.

In Dallas I've only eaten seafood and steak. The steak was good, but not the best. The seafood was (<-Location).

In Atlanta, I've eaten mostly at chain restaurants. I've had a little Seafood and Soul Food. The soul food was ok (I think I set my expectations too high) and the seafood was (<-Location).

I think they all are probably even on the food scale, Houston will have better seafood due to it's location but........

Like anything else, it all comes down to what people like and are used to. On the forums, I've noticed that most people give Houston the title of best food out the the three.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:51 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,838,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Cool. You see it your way, I see it mine.

----------------------------------------------------------

Best food city is subjective.
Personally, I've had better food in Houston and Dallas than I've had in Atlanta. That means nothing after you look at what I've eaten in each city, though.

In Houston I've mainly eaten Asian, Mexican, Soul Food, and Seafood. The 2 categories that stood out to me there was Mexican and Soul Food. Both were the best that I've ever had in my life. The Asian and Seafood was great, but not the best that I've had.

In Dallas I've only eaten seafood and steak. The steak was good, but not the best. The seafood was (<-Location).

In Atlanta, I've eaten mostly at chain restaurants. I've had a little Seafood and Soul Food. The soul food was ok (I think I set my expectations too high) and the seafood was (<-Location).

I think they all are probably even on the food scale, Houston will have better seafood due to it's location but........

Like anything else, it all comes down to what people like and are used to. On the forums, I've noticed that most people give Houston the title of best food out the the three.
Houston is one of the "Fattest Cities in America" no question Houston has to have the best food.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:30 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I counted the 4 and 5 star restaurants in Houston ,Dallas and Atlanta.This year no city had any.But Atlanta has 3 4star to Houston 1 4 star.This year Dallas beats Atlanta and Houston.
Mobil Travel Guide: Listing Restaurants of Dallas, Texas

3 STARS
Houston 21
Atlanta I stop counting at 27
Mobil Travel Guide: Listing Restaurants of Atlanta, Georgia
Houston is much bigger than Atlanta too.
Thats not even close.So who's opinion should we use now?I'll take Mobil/Forbes.
That's nice, but 5 star isn't just based on the quality of the food, but the quality of the restaurant, customer service, appeal, and more. Not saying Houston has better food (Never been to Atlanta); however, the amount of high star restaurants isn't a good way of determining which city offers better food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City