Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Has The Biggest West Indian Influences?
Orlando 2 1.02%
Miami 60 30.46%
DC 3 1.52%
Toronto 36 18.27%
NYC 87 44.16%
Atlanta 9 4.57%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:14 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times

Advertisements

DC has a huge West Indian population. DC's carnival is top 2 in the US easily. Puerto Ricans and Cubans are not West Indian. Where do you hillbillies get this sh&t from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 07:22 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,854,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC has a huge West Indian population. DC's carnival is top 2 in the US easily. Puerto Ricans and Cubans are not West Indian. Where do you hillbillies get this sh&t from?
This.

I've always thought of WE's as Jamaicans, Trinis, Haitians, and people of the non Spanish speaking parts of the Carribean.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:46 AM

26 posts, read 41,626 times
Technically the Spanish speaking nations in the Caribbean are part of the Spanish West Indies, with that being said though they do not self identify as West Indian for the most part. 99% of the time when referring to the West Indies it is the British West Indies (even though countries like Jamaica and Trinidad were Spanish colonies originally)

So being West Indian myself (Jamaican) I identify countries that are British West Indian nations or Full Members of CARICOM as West Indian.

Back to the OP, The two most influential cities for West Indian culture are NYC and Miami. Followed closely by Toronto, DC, Philly, Boston, Hartford and then after Atlanta, Houston and Dallas. I have lived in 4 of those mentioned (NYC, Miami, Boston and Toronto) and feel more of a strong West Indian vibe in NYC and South Florida. Toronto while having a great cultural event in Caribana and a huge West Indian population is lacking West Indian representation in Radio, TV and Government to be considered influential. NYC and Miami have many members of government and 24 hour Caribbean stations to push the agenda of the West Indian community.

Boston also has a very strong West Indian influence. Especially in Radio, having 3 24 hour West Indian radio stations on FM, the most of any other city in the US. In addition to having 2 city council members of West Indian background.

In the end though I vote for NYC and Miami, which also have the best selection of West Indian food by far!

Old 03-03-2011, 01:21 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
if anybody has a hillbilly mindset its the ppl that don't include the so called spanish west indies as being a part of the west indies.

you ppl need to go in the same category as ppl that don't consider parts of the south "the south."

facts don't lie.

you guys go with what you feel, i go with facts. *shrugs*

Old 03-03-2011, 01:34 PM

Maybe it's just from experience. I have yet to meet a caribbean hispanic in Toronto as of yet; we have like 500 of them in the entire city, so I wouldn't know myself whether they should be included. I fail to see how they are related aside from being geographically close though. Their cultures are completely different. It's like saying Italian and Algerian cultures are related simply because they're close to one another.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:40 PM
eek

i feel like there are a lot of similarities but ppl only want to look at language...

so i guess haiti isn't a part of the west indies then, with that logic. neither would curacao or any of the other dutch west indian islands.

one could say that each island has distinct culture different from any other island but eh. what do i know.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i feel like there are a lot of similarities but ppl only want to look at language...

so i guess haiti isn't a part of the west indies then, with that logic. neither would curacao or any of the other dutch west indian islands.

one could say that each island has distinct culture different from any other island but eh. what do i know.
You're right about haitians not being included, but I do see the cultural bond/overlap prevalent between the Jamaicans and Trinis especially from my life experiences.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:34 PM
eek

how about somebody from st barts, st maarten, curacao, etc.? are they less west indian to you guys than a jamaican or a bajan?

what about the ties between somebody from say...st croix and puerto rico? is a person from st croix not considered west indian to you guys?

Old 03-03-2011, 02:44 PM
eek

how are the following not just as west indian as what you'd see in other west indian countries??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd-Cyl6K28I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J09tYXHH0uk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GprotRjo8Z8

Old 03-03-2011, 02:49 PM
eek

the west african diaspora in general >>>>

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City