Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago Vs. Toronto
Chicago 399 61.48%
Toronto 250 38.52%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 05:25 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,176,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
Looks like you don't know the city that well either. Those three towers you speak of are proposed, not under construction. The tallest building under construction in Toronto is one bloor, 257 meters.
Oh but if there is any sure thing about Toronto, it's that condo/skyscraper construction will always proceed at lightning speed vs. everything else in the city. The city may take forever to build a subway extension or renovate its Gardner Express, but condo approval/construction speed is something that Toronto excels at I think anybody who's spent some time living in the city would agree with me on this, given how fast the city skyline has changed over the last 5 years.

Also, two towers have already moved beyond the "proposed phase": both of the Mirvish+Gehry towers (1000 ft, 902 ft) have been unanimously approved by city council last year, and is now moving to construction phase.

Mirvish+Gehry Toronto | Urban Toronto

The third super tall, One Bloor West, has just been announced this past week, and will most likely be approved later this year as well. Its location at the intersection of Yonge and Bloor is the most coveted commercial area in Toronto at the moment, and will not be left untouched. In fact, this past month, the developer has already demolished the remaining structure at the intersection to make way for building foundation:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 04:33 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,283,359 times
This is the next Super Tall by Wanda Group, owned by a Chinese billionaire, for along the Chicago River Scheduled for early 2016 start, by a Chicago Architect.
Chicago’s market is warming up, but China’s is burning across its borders. Wanda is owned by Wang Jianlin, the richest man in mainland China. Like many Chinese developers, he’s looking for new markets overseas. They look at the U.S. as a very mature market. Especially they are investing in NYC.

China and Asia’s building boom of EXTRA-Super Talls, that don’t quite apply to Chicago. CHICAGO JUST DOESN'T NEED TO MAKE A STATEMENT WITH ITS SKYLINE ANYMORE? BUT PERHAPS TORONTO'S DOES?

It will be on the left side of the River in this picture. There is a gap between the buildings, you can't tell by the picture angle.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:47 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post

China and Asia’s building boom of EXTRA-Super Talls, that don’t quite apply to Chicago. CHICAGO JUST DOESN'T NEED TO MAKE A STATEMENT WITH ITS SKYLINE ANYMORE? BUT PERHAPS TORONTO'S DOES?
You speak of Toronto as it is some living entity that needs to 'make a statement' like some nouveau riche person needing to make a statement about their new found wealth.. What is happening in Toronto has to do with population growth and more specifically population growth in a concentrated way due to limitations to further sprawl (greenbelt) combined with people wanting to live in a more urban environment as opposed to a more suburban/rural one. There are some other factors but It has absolutely nothing to do with being in a competition with any city. Additionally, Toronto's highrise growth isn't just in the DT core, its in quite a few places across not only the city but the metro area as well.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You speak of Toronto as it is some living entity that needs to 'make a statement' like some nouveau riche person needing to make a statement about their new found wealth.. What is happening in Toronto has to do with population growth and more specifically population growth in a concentrated way due to limitations to further sprawl (greenbelt) combined with people wanting to live in a more urban environment as opposed to a more suburban/rural one. There are some other factors but It has absolutely nothing to do with being in a competition with any city. Additionally, Toronto's highrise growth isn't just in the DT core, its in quite a few places across not only the city but the metro area as well.
It was no personal attack? To you or Toronto. Why make it that? Merely Toronto is a moving up city in the world. THOSE HERE WANT US TO KNOW IT? Those boasting its Super-Talls coming, have ever right to..... and it is a boast by them to Toronto's arrival? No??? AND HAS ARRIVED?

Nothing wrong with that. I merely noted CHICAGO MADE A STATEMENT IN THE PAST with the super-Talls? NYC DID? CHINESE AND ASIAN CITIES ARE AND WANT TO?

IT IS ALSO TORONTO'S TURN IN NORTH AMERICA..... Sorry you took offense in that. Surely super-Talls will add to self-prestige for Torontonians, Canada and to the world?

Old 03-19-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
It was no personal attack? To you or Toronto. Why make it that? Merely Toronto is a moving up city in the world. THOSE HERE WANT US TO KNOW IT? Those boasting its Super-Talls coming, have ever right to..... and it is a boast by them of Toronto's arrival? No??? AND HAS ARRIVED?

Nothing wrong with that. I merely noted CHICAGO MADE A STATEMENT IN THE PAST with the super-Talls? NYC DID? CHINESE AND ASIAN CITIES ARE AND WANT TO?

IT IS ALSO TORONTO'S TURN IN NORTH AMERICA..... Sorry you took offense in that. Surely super-Talls will add to self-prestige to Torontonians, Canada's and to the world?
I didn't take offense at all - I was just clarifying as I see it why Toronto has this highrise boom and a pretty sustained and long term one.. Its not about personification from my perspective - the factors behind it imo are what I detailed in the post.. So its not about prestige, making a statement, being Toronto's turn to shine or anything like that. I don't even see people posting pics of Super tall proposals as boosting or boasting - its providing info on whats going on.. The terms homer, boosterism, boasting etc are overplayed in here.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I didn't take offense at all - I was just clarifying as I see it why Toronto has this highrise boom and a pretty sustained and long term one.. Its not about personification from my perspective - the factors behind it imo are what I detailed in the post.. So its not about prestige, making a statement, being Toronto's turn to shine or anything like that. I don't even see people posting pics of Super tall proposals as boosting or boasting - its providing info on whats going on.. The terms homer, boosterism, boasting etc are overplayed in here.
Well I did post a super-Tall for Chicago as a boost to Toronto's 3 planned or started. Posted by someone? Chicago had many planned and canceled in the past. Especially when the crash happened as I noted before a 200 story Chicago Spire had its foundation built and cancelled. A Japanese luxury Hotel and condo tower made it 20 stories and stopped from the crash. The crash came.... at the height of a Chicago building boom. It takes a lot of financing to get a super-Tall built in the states. Why few get built. I am sure Houstonians would love to get one. If Toronto gets some..... there will be some boosting? When they do tell them about it. It is present here and Pride is why.

I didn't expect one sentence in my post, to cause such a ........ "How dare you think that rant". I am done here.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Well I did post a super-Tall for Chicago as a boost to Toronto's 3 planned or started. Posted by someone? Chicago had many planned and canceled in the past. Especially when the crash happened as I noted before a 200 story Chicago Spire had its foundation built and cancelled. A Japanese luxury Hotel and condo tower made it 20 stories and stopped from the crash. The crash came.... at the height of a Chicago building boom. It takes a lot of financing to get a super-Tall built in the states. Why few get built. I am sure Houstonians would love to get one. If Toronto gets some..... there will be some boosting? When they do tell them about it. It is present here and Pride is why.

I didn't expect one sentence in my post, to cause such a ........ "How dare you think that rant". I am done here.
I'll start with the last sentence you made... You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.. I simply said I thought your post personified what is going on in a city. There are factors going on in Toronto fueling what is going on - it has nothing to do with making a statement or letting the world know it has 'arrived'!

As for Supertalls - they are really just arbitrary.. a 980 foot building and a 1004 ft building are virtually indistinguishable between one another - especially if that 1004 foot 'supertall' has a spire and its roof height is lower than the 980 foot building... As for Supertalls in Toronto - I think the fact that there are more proposals and at least one has been approved and shovels ready to enter the ground means the city is entering a new phase of its boom.. Progressively over the last decade the projects have been getting taller and taller so this is really not a surprising development that there are more supertall proposals - it'll probably happen and is just a natural evolution of this pretty sustained boom.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:20 PM

591 posts, read 782,485 times
two twin supertalls were just canceled not too long ago in Toronto right? Oxford Place? i dont know what the circumstances were.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:24 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,176,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
two twin supertalls were just canceled not too long ago in Toronto right? Oxford Place? i dont know what the circumstances were.
With 1 proposed this past week, up for city council vote, and 2 more already approved and ready for construction.

To be honest, this won't be last of the supertall constructions you'll see in Toronto, because the city council here is determined to redefine Toronto's skyline. And personally, I'm not a big fan of supertalls (or more high rise construction in Toronto) because what we need are more mid-rise construction, with greater attention for street-level aesthetics. The only benefit of a couple of supertalls is that it looks great on the skyline, but does little to improve the actual quality of life or urban aesthetics of a city.

Also, I don't get why an earlier poster has to drag in China/East Asia as comparison to Toronto. Yes we all know China is building a thousand supertalls that will eventually reach the stratosphere. What else is new?

Old 03-20-2015, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
With 1 proposed this past week, up for city council vote, and 2 more already approved and ready for construction.

To be honest, this won't be last of the supertall constructions you'll see in Toronto, because the city council here is determined to redefine Toronto's skyline. And personally, I'm not a big fan of supertalls (or more high rise construction in Toronto) because what we need are more mid-rise construction, with greater attention for street-level aesthetics. The only benefit of a couple of supertalls is that it looks great on the skyline, but does little to improve the actual quality of life or urban aesthetics of a city.

Also, I don't get why an earlier poster has to drag in China/East Asia as comparison to Toronto. Yes we all know China is building a thousand supertalls that will eventually reach the stratosphere. What else is new?
It was one sentence "Torontokid" noting Extra-Super Talls ARE a status symbol in Asian Cities and Nations there of ARRIVAL. But they are far more congested cities, then ours? But for Dubai. Where It is merely the desire to build a Super International City.

I saw your Boast for 3 super talls for Toronto. So my post was about ONE for Chicago. NOT ASIA. Keeps the thread going

It is CHINESE MONEY financing the Chicago super tall and lot of construction in NYC to Miami. But it is all for the Wealthy High-Rise living in US cities, Hotels and Offices. Single Homes and low-rise apartments still rule for the masses. Almost everything in Manhattan is becoming high-end?

Toronto is like Asian cities in HIGH-RISES for Middle-Class movers is being built though the citiy. Its virtually all High-End in the US. Chicago has enough existing houses for the Masses. Since its growth is mainly in its downtown and gentrifying nearby existing neighborhoods.

Surely I said something wrong again?....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City