Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago Vs. Toronto
Chicago 399 61.48%
Toronto 250 38.52%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 05:59 AM

591 posts, read 781,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
And personally, I'm not a big fan of supertalls (or more high rise construction in Toronto) because what we need are more mid-rise construction, with greater attention for street-level aesthetics. The only benefit of a couple of supertalls is that it looks great on the skyline, but does little to improve the actual quality of life or urban aesthetics of a city.
Exactly, i totally agree with this. this is something Chicago needs to work on. it already has an amazing skyline and 6 supertalls, now spread the urbanity out. i'm more excited about the small projects along Milwaukee ave, river north and Hyde park than the skyscrapers being built downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 09:52 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
Exactly, i totally agree with this. this is something Chicago needs to work on. it already has an amazing skyline and 6 supertalls, now spread the urbanity out. i'm more excited about the small projects along Milwaukee ave, river north and Hyde park than the skyscrapers being built downtown.
Ironically if you took away, say, 50 Chicago skyscrapers and replaced them with three times as many buildings 1/3 the height to fill some of the remaining surface lots in River North, West Loop, South Loop etc., you would probably end up with a superior downtown, at least in terms of the street level experience. The American urban model that drives skyscraper development while there is still so much empty land around never made any sense to me. Of course Chicago is far from the worst offender in this regard, but it too has a staggering amount of empty space in and around downtown.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:08 PM

424 posts, read 465,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
This is the next Super Tall by Wanda Group, owned by a Chinese billionaire, for along the Chicago River Scheduled for early 2016 start, by a Chicago Architect.
Chicago’s market is warming up, but China’s is burning across its borders. Wanda is owned by Wang Jianlin, the richest man in mainland China. Like many Chinese developers, he’s looking for new markets overseas. They look at the U.S. as a very mature market. Especially they are investing in NYC.

China and Asia’s building boom of EXTRA-Super Talls, that don’t quite apply to Chicago. CHICAGO JUST DOESN'T NEED TO MAKE A STATEMENT WITH ITS SKYLINE ANYMORE? BUT PERHAPS TORONTO'S DOES?

It will be on the left side of the River in this picture. There is a gap between the buildings, you can't tell by the picture angle.

I actually hate this new design proposal by Studio Gang.

It looks so thick and ungraceful. Very blocky/chunky and the strips of glazing going up the curtain wall don't look very nice to me either. It is just not an aesthetically suave design like the Chicago Trump tower down river.

I am praying real hard that a completely different development goes up on this parcel. Doesn't matter if it's smaller or shorter - just a different form/massing to it, please! Studio Gang can do better than this.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:08 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
This is how most cities around the world actually get their density in reality. Go to Istanbul - they have very few high rises with most buildings under about 8 or 10 stories. Yet it's one of the densest cities on earth where people actually live.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:21 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,443 times
Quote:
two twin supertalls were just canceled not too long ago in Toronto right? Oxford Place? i dont know what the circumstances were.
From what I understand, they weren't cancelled so much as put "on hold".

Old 03-20-2015, 06:46 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Chicago already has lower high density in River North. From Lofts in old industrial buildings to Townhouse developments. This is more your Low-Rise High density?
Attached Thumbnails
Chicago vs. Toronto-river-north-chicago.jpg   Chicago vs. Toronto-chicago-townhouses_.jpg   Chicago vs. Toronto-new-chicago-row-homes_.jpg  

Old 03-21-2015, 02:02 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Chicago already has lower high density in River North. From Lofts in old industrial buildings to Townhouse developments. This is more your Low-Rise High density?
So all good then. In your book Chicago is apparently perfect then and clearly doesn't need any change to be made. Any hint of a suggestion for change is answered with "we already have it!" Good for Chicago!

Old 03-21-2015, 02:05 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times
This is an aerial of a residential neighborhood of Berlin, a city half the population Chicago. The city doesn't have as much a skyline, but its density is very uniformly distributed among a sea of mid-rise apartments, thus making transit planning very efficient even to the outer suburbs:

Old 03-21-2015, 05:57 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I looked at this thread. Being a baseball man, I thought about this playoff series.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:25 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I looked at this thread. Being a baseball man, I thought about this playoff series.
Oh I remember those days - they were so awesome.... Sad to see the threepeat didn't happen in 94 but I do hope to see another World Series win back in the T.dot before I kick the proverbial bucket.. I see that as more a probability than the Leafs winning another Stanley ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City