Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Country do you prefer to Live based on Criteria given?
Canada 40 16.53%
United States 202 83.47%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 11:25 AM

615 posts, read 599,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
I never said Canada was a third world country. Exaggerate much?

Im not pretending any thing. Ive listed all the global Canadian companies along time ago in which you repeatedly respond you have Canadian companies not known in the US. but you keep missing the point or you dont want to see it.
Ninety % of Americans could not tell you what Tim Hortons is accept those who live near the border,But Canadians know what Burger King is or Home Depot.
The grocery stores in Canada is where you see the biggest difference,You have so little competition that prices are so much higher I noticed.

You may only have 2 different cheese brands but in the U.S it might be as many as four.

Canada does have a surplus but funny you should mention that because its AMERICAN cars manufactured in Canada as well as the oil ad gas we get from you that contributes to that surplus!lol
Thats what I was saying earlier about Canada not having a single car manufacturer of its own.
Even Croatia has managed to put out the fastest electric car beating Tesla.

The U.S, has more oil reserves now than even Saudi Arabia.Its my assumption that we by oil from Canada and other places because we can afford to without using our own.
If the U.S. did not get so much of its oil from Canada,Canada would be hurt significantly.

It helps the U.S. to have neighbors who can buy our products,So yes we are heavily intertwined by that measure but Canada needs the U.S. more than the U.S. needs Canada BUT its in our interest to partner as we have over the years,

Stores like RONA may have more stores than Ikea but its revenues are less than half of what Ikea brings in,
You kinda have a point about competition because RONA will get squeezed out by Home Depot and now Lowes has entered the market.One of those will probably buy RONA eventually much like Tim Hortons is owned by Burger King which is an American company.
Canada had many of its own car brands at the outset, but the bad ones went defunct and the successful ones were bought out by GM and Ford. The big 3 have deep roots in Canada going way back to 1904.

The Lexus plant in Cambridge ON was the first Lexus plant outside of Japan, because quality was comparable. It now makes every RX350 sold in North America.

Grocery is cut throat in the Canadian market because we have our domestic brands in addition to the American brands. We have the two cheese brands and the four from the US. It is arguably more competitive.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:45 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I've talked to people who live half the year in Canada, the other half in Florida, and I have asked them about
food prices and they said that prices are very similar. Some mentioned mentioned that baked foods /pastrie are a bit more expensive in Florida. Not sure if that is just a "Florida" thing ....
Also about competition .....there are "levels" ....there are cheap grocery chains in Canada like Basics, No Frills....medium chains like Sobey's....and more upscale, like Longos or Fortino's.
If you are cheap like me....check the flyers for "deals" and shop at the cheaper stores...
Even sometimes Walmart...then food in Canada is close enough in cost to USA to call it even.
Groceries have a very thin margin anyway.
And your cheese example is rediculous....I won't even get into it

As for Rona ....IKEA is not in the same "space" as Rona...not into furniture like IKEA..Rona's is more comparible to Home Depot or Lowes....in fact I think Lowes just took over Rona or will be soon,
not sure if they will rebrand the store as Lowes.

And yes...Canada should be actively looking for other customers for our oil.
China is the obvious one, Prime Minister Trudeau recently announced the twinning
of the existing pipeline to the BC coast. I think that is a good thing.

Tim Hortons is very popular in American states that have them,
I've been to a few in New York State and Michigan, always busy, packed.
Gradually they could roll out nationwide in the USA but they have to do it
slowly and carefully....the Canadian way
You have to understand thatt even within Florida from Northern to Southern ,prices of everything differ.
I was in a grocery store a few times in Mississauga, Hamilton ,Toronto and Montreal and Laval over the years and while they vary there also,it was a very noticeable difference,

The cheese Im referring to was like sliced American and Cheddar cheese and dairy products btw,Not the more expensive varieties
I believe the biggest shock was how much sales tax was added.

I only mentioned IKEA because thats what Mr.Burns brought up.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City