Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:01 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

To me "worst designed" are "ugliest" are not synonomous. From a design perspective, plates where I have to be riding the ass of the person behind me to figure out what %*(&^(%* state it is gets my vote for "worst designed". I think the new Ohio may fit the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 10:33 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
as a graphic designer, I like then New NY plates (hated the old liberty plates) Love the retro look, but I always wonder why doesn't NY just use the iconic "I (heart) NY" in their plate design.

Im OK with the simple understatement of California plates.

Personally I think most plates are over-designed. Add a .com or .gov to hit and you get a major design Cluster F.

I used to love the old Florida, West Virginia and Georgia Plates

Old 04-18-2011, 10:49 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
I'm not a big fan of the current Hawai'i license plates with the "faded rainbow" design...

Unfortunately, some of the older license plate designs aren't much better...
Hawai'i License Plates 1969 to Present

Old 04-18-2011, 11:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I think most slogans are pretty silly. Especially the ones in such fine print, you have to kneel down in the parking lot to see what it says.

My favorite potential slogan, not yet used, is "No, It's Iowa". (From Field of Dreams, Costner's answer to the question "Is this Heaven?")

Old 04-18-2011, 01:19 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
What is with the Ohio plate? I mean, really! Celebrating nature, family farms, a land that provides the very sustenance that supports human life? Really? Is that the message Ohio wants to send? They have some nerve being proud of farming, really the most disgusting and/or boring economic practice on earth.

They should have a big picture of a plastics factory, that's the Ohio I really love, making colorful, shiny plastic stuff out of oil that will decorate the landscape for nearly an eternity after it has lost its utility. That and concrete stained with old bubblegum and car exhaust. But no, they have to have a green field.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:36 PM

739 posts, read 1,188,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
This is the more common one I have seen for Texas:
Yeah, HTown. I hate the new plates. They look like decals. Boo!

Old 04-18-2011, 01:56 PM

870 posts, read 1,569,687 times
I see quite a few Ohio plates in Pennsylvania. I also have a few relatives in eastern Ohio and they of course have Ohio plates on their cars.

Something you see a lot in Ohio is plates they haven't used in years. You see people still driving with plates with the county at the bottom. Most of the time you can't even read it because it's so faded and ratty.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:07 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
I HATE HATE HATE New York's new plates.

That last ones had Niagara Falls, the hilly/mountainous land in between, and then the statue of Liberty with NYC behind it. I loved it.

The new ones are yellow... that's it. They are trying to call back to the plates from the 30's and whatnot but seriously, UGLY.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:21 PM

299 posts, read 641,845 times
Quote:
How come I have NEVER seen any California license plate like these? I visited California often and I always see white background plate with red cursive 'California'.
California and Louisiana License plates look almost identical and can be confused with eash other. I see California plates quite often here, and they could almost pass for a Louisiana one. Both have the plain white background with red cursive letters and they could use a new design.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:00 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
North Carolina has been my least favorite for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City