Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

South Dakota has been guilty of several real monstrosities in the past couple of decadee---luckily rarely seen, and in the case of the last one, nearly impossible to read what state to blame it on.
License Plates of South Dakota (United States)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 04:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
as a graphic designer, I like then New NY plates (hated the old liberty plates) Love the retro look, but I always wonder why doesn't NY just use the iconic "I (heart) NY" in their plate design.
Because it's trademarked. Imagine the licensing fee to issue millions of plates with it.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:01 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Analog Man View Post
California and Louisiana License plates look almost identical and can be confused with eash other. I see California plates quite often here, and they could almost pass for a Louisiana one. Both have the plain white background with red cursive letters and they could use a new design.
No, look below the name Louisiana-there is a pelican in yellow backround roughly running across the bottom of the plate-it is not very prominent, but it is there as of 2004.

Also a new plate in Louisiana has appeared celebrating the state's 200th anniversary in 2012. Not much different, but a slightly new design.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:37 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What I can't believe about Georgia is how many university plates you can get to support public universities from other states. Illinois has tons of university plates too but only one for an out-of-state school, namely Notre Dame. But Notre Dame is an honorary Chicago-area school and a private school, so at least the state isn't facilitating support for a public institution in another state like a lot of GA's university plates.
Unfortunately even if you buy a plate with the logo of an out of state school in Georgia the money still goes into the Georgia general fund. So you're basically aiding your enemy school if you buy one.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:47 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,337,664 times
NY (The new one) and Michigan.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:03 PM

963 posts, read 2,410,116 times
Most of them actually. The only thing worse than bad graphic design done by people who know nothing about graphic design is bad airbrush-style graphic design by people who know nothing about graphic design. Is every other state some kind of red and blue on white with some hazy image floating around in there somewhere?

There are other colors. White isn't he only thing that can be used for a background color either. The new Indiana plates are a little dull in the design, but the dark background is nice - it's actually unique, which - apart from Delaware - is almost one-of-a-kind. Arizona and South Carolina are so-so in design, but the color combinations are nice. Virginia's characters - like something stuck on a mailbox - are godawful ugly.

Do something simple and old school - 2 colors - a light one, a dark one, neither of which can be black or white. Nice solid fonts for the characters. Some nice art-deco font for the state. Maybe a little state icon (in a different color) between the alpha and numbers. Simple and striking.

If your state's license plate looks like it came from some airbrushy tourist trap in Myrtle Beach, your license plates suck.

And North Carolina really, really, really needs to get rid of the biplane thing. NC has had red-on-white, blue-on-white, or green-on-white since 1967. There are other colors. Really. There are.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:24 PM

963 posts, read 2,410,116 times
This one is the worst ever, in the history of license plates:

Apparently it was designed by elementary school children, and someone thought that was a good idea. The sun has obviously taken one ritalin too many.
Attached Thumbnails
Which state do you think has the worst designed licence plates?-usa_ky_gi8_1980s-today.jpg  

Old 04-18-2011, 08:39 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
No, look below the name Louisiana-there is a pelican in yellow backround roughly running across the bottom of the plate-it is not very prominent, but it is there as of 2004.

Also a new plate in Louisiana has appeared celebrating the state's 200th anniversary in 2012. Not much different, but a slightly new design.
And Louisiana plates always have 6 digits, with a spacer in the mIddle. California always have 7 digits, no spacer.

Both started using the "lipstick" script around 1993. I believe the style was originated in Louisiana in the 80's, to use in their tourism brochures, but it was not used on Louisiana plates until 1994, the year after California picked it up on their '93 plates..

Old 04-18-2011, 08:57 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
What is with the Ohio plate? I mean, really! Celebrating nature, family farms, a land that provides the very sustenance that supports human life? Really? Is that the message Ohio wants to send? They have some nerve being proud of farming, really the most disgusting and/or boring economic practice on earth.

They should have a big picture of a plastics factory, that's the Ohio I really love, making colorful, shiny plastic stuff out of oil that will decorate the landscape for nearly an eternity after it has lost its utility. That and concrete stained with old bubblegum and car exhaust. But no, they have to have a green field.
If this was directed at what I said, then wow, you really took what I said way out of context.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:59 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
This one is the worst ever, in the history of license plates:

Apparently it was designed by elementary school children, and someone thought that was a good idea. The sun has obviously taken one ritalin too many.
OH MY GOD!!! That's is the worst plate I have ever seen! D:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City