Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How big/small do the following metros feel?
ATL feels about its size 6 4.65%
ATL feels bigger 20 15.50%
ATL feels smaller 18 13.95%
DFW feels about its size 1 0.78%
DFW feels bigger 32 24.81%
DFW feels smaller 9 6.98%
Houston feels about its size 6 4.65%
Houston feels bigger 31 24.03%
Houston feels smaller 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:24 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

The US got Osama! Way to go USA

Old 05-01-2011, 10:13 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I was in Atlanta this weekend and at least in the downtown area it didn't feel any bigger than Charlotte, even though it is over three times the size. Downtown was pretty much dead on a Saturday, very little pedestrian activity. Atlanta definitely feels smaller than it is.
Charlotte -- true metropolis of the South! LOL

Old 05-01-2011, 10:13 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The US got Osama! Way to go USA
I know right!

Quote:
I was in Atlanta this weekend and at least in the downtown area it didn't feel any bigger than Charlotte, even though it is over three times the size. Downtown was pretty much dead on a Saturday, very little pedestrian activity. Atlanta definitely feels smaller than it is.
You want to know why? because Downtown Atlanta is actually about the same size as Downtown Charlotte, but you what? Atlanta's Midtown and Buckhead CBDs are also independently about the same size as Charlotte’s Downtown and Downtown Atlanta. Atlanta has 3 areas across the city like Charlotte's Downtown. To base Atlanta size just off Downtown when Atlanta has several CBDs and compare it to Charlotte which has one is bleak. I haven't even touch on the Perimeter center and, the cumberland area.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:18 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You want to know why? because Downtown Atlanta is actually about the same size as Downtown Charlotte, but you what? Atlanta's Midtown and Buckhead CBDs are also independently about the same size as Charlotte’s Downtown and Downtown Atlanta. Atlanta has 3 areas across the city like Charlotte's Downtown. To base Atlanta size just off Downtown when Atlanta has several CBDs and compare it to Charlotte which has one is bleak. I haven't even touch on the Perimeter center and, the cumberland area.
Dude, don't even waste the space typing up a response. That particular poster is under the impression that Charlotte is more urban and cosmo than Atlanta or pretty much any other city not named Charlotte or New York City...and I'd be they'd make a case of how NYC doesn't quite measure up to the Queen City. LOL

Old 05-02-2011, 06:31 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
Uptown Charlotte is very nice! I've always enjoyed visits there!

But yes I agree with the other commenters. Charlotte just has Uptown. Atlanta has many more options.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:07 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Dude, don't even waste the space typing up a response. That particular poster is under the impression that Charlotte is more urban and cosmo than Atlanta or pretty much any other city not named Charlotte or New York City...and I'd be they'd make a case of how NYC doesn't quite measure up to the Queen City. LOL
I never stated Charlotte was more urban or cosmo than Atlanta. My point is that Atlanta is lacking in urban feel a metro area of over 5 million people. Here are the facts for their city limits. The population of Atlanta is 420,003 in 131.8 sq miles with a density of 3,187 people per square mile. The population of Charlotte is 731,424 in 297.7 square miles with a density of 2,457 people per square mile. Atlanta has the downtown of a metro area around 3M, not 5.2M. Atlanta is more on the level of Tampa. The population of Tampa is 335,709 in 112.1 square miles with a density of 2,995 people per square mile. So, in summary....... Atlanta feels a lot smaller than what their metro area population indicates because of its small (ish) downtowns and low population density. It is more on the level of Tampa and is not on the same level as Houston, Dallas or Miami. If challenged on this statement then I will post even more facts to back up my claim.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:46 PM

285 posts, read 567,753 times
Quote:
I never stated Charlotte was more urban or cosmo than Atlanta. My point is that Atlanta is lacking in urban feel a metro area of over 5 million people. Here are the facts for their city limits. The population of Atlanta is 420,003 in 131.8 sq miles with a density of 3,187 people per square mile. The population of Charlotte is 731,424 in 297.7 square miles with a density of 2,457 people per square mile. Atlanta has the downtown of a metro area around 3M, not 5.2M. Atlanta is more on the level of Tampa. The population of Tampa is 335,709 in 112.1 square miles with a density of 2,995 people per square mile. So, in summary....... Atlanta feels a lot smaller than what their metro area population indicates because of its small (ish) downtowns and low population density. It is more on the level of Tampa and is not on the same level as Houston, Dallas or Miami. If challenged on this statement then I will post even more facts to back up my claim.
You are crazy. If anything Atlanta is ahead of Houston and Dallas with MARTA, hosting the Olympics, better universities, etc. Comparisons to Tampa are ignorant. Atlanta positively blows that city out of the water (and Charlotte even moreso).

BTW - get a clue and stop looking at overall city densities (which are often skewed lower due to large business/industrial areas that are unpopulated). Take a look at this map with densities of individual census tracts, and note just how sparsely populated Charlotte is, even relative to Atlanta. Hardly surprising, though, because despite both being sprawling, low-density cities, Charlotte really does somehow feel much, much smaller than Atlanta in person.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:04 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1038 View Post
You are crazy. If anything Atlanta is ahead of Houston and Dallas with MARTA, hosting the Olympics, better universities, etc. Comparisons to Tampa are ignorant. Atlanta positively blows that city out of the water (and Charlotte even moreso).

BTW - get a clue and stop looking at overall city densities (which are often skewed lower due to large business/industrial areas that are unpopulated). Take a look at this map with densities of individual census tracts, and note just how sparsely populated Charlotte is, even relative to Atlanta. Hardly surprising, though, because despite both being sprawling, low-density cities, Charlotte really does somehow feel much, much smaller than Atlanta in person.
*Shakes my head* I find it funny when people ignore facts and are truly 100% homers.

The population of Atlanta is 420,003 in 131.8 sq miles with a density of 3,187 ppsm. The population of Houston is 2,099,451 in 579.4 sq mi with a density of 3,624 ppsm. cbp62083: The popuation of Dallas is 1,197,816 in 342.5 sq mi with a density of 3,497 ppsm.

So, yea. Atlanta lacks. Houston has more than four times the population of Atlanta and 400 more ppsm. Dallas has more than double (almost triple) the pop and has 200 more ppsm than atlanta. FACTS shows Atlanta is the less dense of the three. I have no problem breaking down the numbers by msa and csa. This will show Atlanta is the least dense of the three for msa and csa too.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:22 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,315 times
Quote:
Ok this is BS. So Raleigh and Atlanta are the same size because they have around the same land area and population. Have you ever been to Atlanta? Charlotte is a town by comparison. The urban area (UA) of Atlanta is almost four times the size of Charlotte! Stats definitely do not tell the full story. Atlanta is a beast in the south my friend.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:32 PM

285 posts, read 567,753 times
Quote:
*Shakes my head* I find it funny when people ignore facts and are truly 100% homers.
It's even more funny/frustrating when people ignore the more relevant facts and spout off irrelevant facts to state a weak case.

as I said above, in this context density is best evaluated on a more local scale (i.e. neighborhood/zip code/census tract) rather than on a larger scale (i.e. city boundary/MSA/CSA/UA). MSA densities are borderline meaningless except to...you guessed it...homers like yourself (Charlotte booster hating on Atlanta) foolishly looking for another irrelevant data point to argue how one city might be superior.

If you were going to make an even slightly decent case about density here, you would follow my lead and at least do so looking at local densities (Houston and Dallas have a couple more clusters of apartments with local, relatively high densities of 10-20k ppsm).

BUt it's really a pointless exercise - all are generally very low density, sprawling cities with almost zero semblance to a truly urban city like NYC. On an aggregate scale the difference between 3,200 ppsm and 3,600 ppsm is completely imperceptible in real life and totally insignificant to anyone but a die-hard homer with an agenda - like yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City