Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How big/small do the following metros feel?
ATL feels about its size 6 4.65%
ATL feels bigger 20 15.50%
ATL feels smaller 18 13.95%
DFW feels about its size 1 0.78%
DFW feels bigger 32 24.81%
DFW feels smaller 9 6.98%
Houston feels about its size 6 4.65%
Houston feels bigger 31 24.03%
Houston feels smaller 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 12:28 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I never stated Charlotte was more urban or cosmo than Atlanta. My point is that Atlanta is lacking in urban feel a metro area of over 5 million people. Here are the facts for their city limits. The population of Atlanta is 420,003 in 131.8 sq miles with a density of 3,187 people per square mile. The population of Charlotte is 731,424 in 297.7 square miles with a density of 2,457 people per square mile. Atlanta has the downtown of a metro area around 3M, not 5.2M. Atlanta is more on the level of Tampa. The population of Tampa is 335,709 in 112.1 square miles with a density of 2,995 people per square mile. So, in summary....... Atlanta feels a lot smaller than what their metro area population indicates because of its small (ish) downtowns and low population density. It is more on the level of Tampa and is not on the same level as Houston, Dallas or Miami. If challenged on this statement then I will post even more facts to back up my claim.
I notice you avoided my post if Charlotte “1.8 mil” is being used to represent a city it’s size 1.8 mil or larger, than Atlanta definitely feel it's size 5.2 mil or larger compare to Charlotte, feeling it's size. So I’m asking you are trying to use Charlotte as city, that feel like 1.8 mil? Then say Atlanta feel smaller than 5.2 mil? I going to enjoy this dabate.
-----------------------
Ok dude Atlanta with in city limits of Charlotte is about million while Charlotte is 700,000 something. With in 1,800 sq mi Metro Atlanta is more than twice the Charlotte entire metro area over 3,000 sq mi. Hell since you brought up Tampa I’m going use Tampa also. Tampa is 2,783,243 in 2,554 sq mi Atlanta is over 3,500,000 in just 1,800 sq mi. Houston is about 4 mil in 1,800 sq mi. Which city is Atlanta closer to again?

This is line that I straight up laugh on.
Quote:
I was in Atlanta this weekend and at least in the downtown area it didn't feel any bigger than Charlotte
Your right Atlanta doesn’t have a CBD dramatically bigger than Downtown Charlotte instead Atlanta has 3 CBDs each independently about the size of charlotte only major CBD, plus 2 edge city CBD. “downtowns” Here in the US is usually used to reference the CBD of a city, but a bigger sunbelt cities have more than one CBD. So Downtown is just the name to the oldest one. Atlanta like other big sunbelt cities have multiple major CBDs and edges cities. So your going to fault Atlanta squarely on the one call DT, ignore the rest, compare it charlotte’s only then say Atlanta feel small for it’s size? WTF.

Charlotte center city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ok I play your game

You mention this
Downtown Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ignored Midtown Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ignored Buckhead (Atlanta) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ignored Cumberland, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ignored Perimeter Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All of that is Metro Atlanta 5 major CBDs

But sure Atlanta dosen't feel 5 mil compared to Charlotte or Tampa...... Sure

Old 05-09-2011, 04:21 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, why would Houston hate on Dallas when it is clearly better than Dallas? Houston doesn't think of Dallas like that. The perceived hate is in your mind.
That is why Dallas does all these outrageous things, to try and outdo Houston, but in the end Houston always comes out on top.
Y'all should be worrying about San Antonio instead of us.

Clearly you're right cause anyone can clearly see that your arguments are so clear and without bias or opinion. What is clear is that you clearly state opinion as fact and that we should clearly take what you say as the written word. I think you Houstonites clearly hate on Dallas cause it's very clear that Dallas is just as good of a city if not better than Houston in many ways, clearly.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:59 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, why would Houston hate on Dallas when it is clearly better than Dallas? Houston doesn't think of Dallas like that. The perceived hate is in your mind.
That is why Dallas does all these outrageous things, to try and outdo Houston, but in the end Houston always comes out on top.
Y'all should be worrying about San Antonio instead of us.
Htown, for real? You really think people in Dallas think of ways to "outdo" Houston. Come on now, be real!

Old 05-14-2011, 03:07 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Quote:
I never stated Charlotte was more urban or cosmo than Atlanta. My point is that Atlanta is lacking in urban feel a metro area of over 5 million people. Here are the facts for their city limits. The population of Atlanta is 420,003 in 131.8 sq miles with a density of 3,187 people per square mile. The population of Charlotte is 731,424 in 297.7 square miles with a density of 2,457 people per square mile. Atlanta has the downtown of a metro area around 3M, not 5.2M. Atlanta is more on the level of Tampa. The population of Tampa is 335,709 in 112.1 square miles with a density of 2,995 people per square mile. So, in summary....... Atlanta feels a lot smaller than what their metro area population indicates because of its small (ish) downtowns and low population density. It is more on the level of Tampa and is not on the same level as Houston, Dallas or Miami. If challenged on this statement then I will post even more facts to back up my claim.

So you judge the city based on downtown? What happen to Midtown Buckhead periemter cumberland See this is how Charlotte vs Atlanta crap gets started. Have you ever scene Houston or Dallas with heavy street activity in there downtown? NO. Please stop with the this. Driving thru Atlanta it definitely feels 3 times the size of Charlotte, hell there is farm land still in Charlotte city limits.
And this is all in the 132 square miles.
Downtown

BUckhead

MIdtown

And a total view of all 3 skylines. Not to mention the massive freeways and the subway system Atlanta def feels like a city its supposed to be

Last edited by MikeandIke27; 05-14-2011 at 03:41 PM..

Old 05-14-2011, 03:26 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
So you judge the city based on downtown? What happen to Midtown Buckhead periemter cumberland See this is how Charlotte vs Atlanta crap gets started. Have you ever scene Houston or Dallas with heavy street activity in there downtown? NO. Please stop with the this. Driving thru Atlanta it definitely feels 3 times the size of Charlotte, hell there is farm land still in Charlotte city limits.

Downtown

BUckhead

MIdtown

And a total view of all 3 skylines. Not to mention the massive freeways and the subway system Atlanta def feels like a city its supposed to be
That's pretty false regarding Houston. I've seen it plenty of times there. Don't know about Dallas.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:35 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's pretty false regarding Houston. I've seen it plenty of times there. Don't know about Dallas.
I take that back there has, been occasions where I've seen Houston with heavy foot traffic but its not consistant same for dallas and atlanta

Old 05-14-2011, 05:20 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Htown, for real? You really think people in Dallas think of ways to "outdo" Houston. Come on now, be real!
I was joking, lighten up

Old 05-14-2011, 10:44 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Charlotte is on the level of OKC and Memphis. I admit that. I am not going to try to say that its on a level higher than it is. What I will say is when comparing Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta, Atlanta is clearly the weakest of the three on so many levels. Atlanta is only "king of the South" if you exclude Texas and Florida from the South.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:07 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Charlotte is on the level of OKC and Memphis. I admit that. I am not going to try to say that its on a level higher than it is. What I will say is when comparing Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta, Atlanta is clearly the weakest of the three on so many levels. Atlanta is only "king of the South" if you exclude Texas and Florida from the South.
What levels?Please explain?

Old 05-15-2011, 12:04 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Metro Atlanta is smaller than those areas so Houston Dallas and Miami are going to be ahead naturally in many areas, with in saying that they do not beat Atlanta across the board, none of these southern metros beat the others across the board, Atlanta is only weaker depending what your talking about higher Education, Mass media, convention and etc, Atlanta is clearly ahead and they’re weaker. While in logistic Atlanta edge out Dallas. Telecommunication, and technology Dallas is clearly ahead, Energy, and manufacturing Houston is ahead, and medical Houston edge Atlanta. Tourism Miami is clearly ahead and I heard they have a lot of Caribbean banks down there. So there is no king of the south, Atlanta is not the king of the south but neither are they.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City