Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2007, 02:30 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,935,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
My dad spent some time in Berea while he was growing up. If I ever stop for the night on the way from SC or NC to Chicago, I tend to stop in Berea. It's telling that ajf's "experience" (In which it's clear that there was zero danger. Just some pickup trucks that probably contain the sort of folks that would be the first to help you out if your car broke down) is not indicative of Berea because they were at a Cracker Barrel off the highway! That's like people saying "I dunno if I like Chicago. I went through O'Hare and that place sucked!"
Same here about Berea, Ky........ its a country crafts area, hardly a "redneck haven"....... but , just outside of town , back in a hollow , around a curve , across a bridge less creek, and up a hill on the right is , ......well , lets just say , the place has a beverage that will knock your socks off !

Old 10-25-2007, 05:03 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,015 times
It gets scary here, in Prescott, Az., at night. Because most of it don't have street lights, only in the downtown area of it. I would really hate to walk at night here.

In most "hick towns", at night, is when it gets the scariest.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:43 PM

299 posts, read 1,333,157 times
Micanopy, Florida - That is where Doc Hollywood was filmed - doesn't look the same as in the movie. There are a few antique stores, gifts shops, book store (old as dust) & a small cafe. I can't easily explain why it feels so strange but it almost looks like it's a front for something else - not really real. There is only 1 short main street and then old, old homes close together with many large moss oak trees that cast a dark shadow over everything and look creepy. There were no people around except for the main street area and it was so quiet. It was like an eery ghost town with a few stores. In the cafe no one would talk to us even to answer a question. very odd.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
Micanopy, Florida - That is where Doc Hollywood was filmed - doesn't look the same as in the movie. There are a few antique stores, gifts shops, book store (old as dust) & a small cafe. I can't easily explain why it feels so strange but it almost looks like it's a front for something else - not really real. There is only 1 short main street and then old, old homes close together with many large moss oak trees that cast a dark shadow over everything and look creepy. There were no people around except for the main street area and it was so quiet. It was like an eery ghost town with a few stores. In the cafe no one would talk to us even to answer a question. very odd.
Micanopy , a well known small town ,( has an exit to I-75 ) , very historic , " old Florida" , arts and crafts , and was most remembered for the movie " Cross Creek " , that was filmed there. Worth a stop on your travels south , not very scary.......

Old 10-26-2007, 09:37 AM

285 posts, read 1,067,947 times
Seems like Centralia, PA could be that way from what I read.

Underground fire burning for like 30 years, cleared out the whole town except for 12 people that still live there.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:21 AM

506 posts, read 1,474,805 times
Cocke County, Tennessee (Newport). More Moonshine, illegal cocke fighting, outsider weary, & good ole boy corruption than any other town I've been to in Southern Appalachia.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
Cocke County, Tennessee (Newport). More Moonshine, illegal cocke fighting, outsider weary, & good ole boy corruption than any other town I've been to in Southern Appalachia.
Cocke County's heyday is long past , for moonshine capital , it once was in the 50s - 60s, and into the 70s as well. I found the Newport folk quite friendly .

Old 10-26-2007, 02:07 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,532,809 times
Sounds to me like this post is turning into a chance for City people to make fun of and make derogatory comments about people who live in small towns.

Must have to be perfect to live in the big ol city.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:46 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Unfortunately I live in a small hillbilly town with a depressed economy and absolutely hate it. My dad retired when I was 16 and wanted a slower pace of life so he moved the family here. I'm about 45 minutes from Ft. Smith, Arkansas and an hour from Fayetteville, AR. I commute to Ft. Smith daily for work and community college, but Fayetteville is the nearest place that actually feels like civilization as I remember it. Small isolated towns with depressed economies have a way of keeping people from leaving. If I had any possible way to move I would in a heartbeat. I try hard to not adapt to hillbilly culture (i.e. overalls, bluegrass music) as I intend to leave one day when I have the opportunity.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:53 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Bchris, where are you from originally? I've read your other posts about Ft Smith and Arkansas, and it's clear you're not happy in Arkansas. How long ago did your father move your family?

DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City