Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Orleans vs San Francisco
San Francisco 262 57.71%
New Orleans 192 42.29%
Voters: 454. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:02 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times

Advertisements

Completely forgot about the 49ers... The Raiders are in Oakland, not SF. Sacramento is Sacramento, it's not SF.

Sactown versus the Big Easy? Hilarious comparison.

Nasty and over-rated? I guess we get the left over tourists who aren't the "creme de la creme" but I'm not complaining. 10.1 million visitors and rising each year.

New Orleans is not poor, nor dangerous. Stop spewing nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
No the Quarter is not the only thing to do. Just the range of activities is far more limited than the Bay Area. It seems like young professionals in NOLA do the same activities every weekend.

The food is excellent. I like New Orleans style food. But it's hard to find good Chinese food, Jewish deli, Italian family style, Japanese, Mexican food. Compared to SF especially.

NOLA is far more connected to the Deep South than people would like to admit. I've seen plenty of hard core Southern style racism there. It does have a more anything goes attitude, but Louisiana itself isn't exactly the most progressive in terms of social lives or politics.

Old money is old money wherever you go, but in the Bay there are plenty more options. A small group of people control NOLA and the major professional industries (law, accounting, medicine).

I think NOLA is fun for a visit, but it gets to me after a bit. The smell, decay, and Louisiana.
What is there to do in SF that is so different? Walk around another cultured neighborhood? Eat at one more great place, or see one more monument or historical site? Name one activity that SF offers that NO does not.

Leave the tourist areas.

Racism is everywhere, even in SF, just because you may have experienced it doesn't make it common, I've never experienced racism in New Orleans. (as a black man)

It holds some truth but post-storm NO is expanding it's industries, especially the medical.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:11 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Tough comparison as they are two different scales; both somewhat unique and iconic cities in the US - on the whole glad America can claim both these great cities

Old 06-13-2011, 06:34 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Completely forgot about the 49ers... The Raiders are in Oakland, not SF. Sacramento is Sacramento, it's not SF.

Sactown versus the Big Easy? Hilarious comparison.

Nasty and over-rated? I guess we get the left over tourists who aren't the "creme de la creme" but I'm not complaining. 10.1 million visitors and rising each year.

This is exactly what I found I didn't like about New Orleans. NOLA is it's own little world. NOLA doesn't count suburbs as part of the metro. NOLA is NOLa, Jeff Parish is Jeff Parish, not NOLA metro.

Oakland is to SF as Santa Monica is to LA. Just because Santa Monica is separate from LA city doesn't mean it isn't part of the LA Metro or LA culture. Oakland is literally 5 minutes across the Bay from SF.

It isn't nonsense. You are really claiming that NOLA isn't poor, that Louisiana isn't poor. NOLA is one of the most violent cities in the US. I mean seriously.

Oh and for one activity you can do in SF and not in NOLA. See professional major league baseball x 2.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
This is exactly what I found I didn't like about New Orleans. NOLA is it's own little world. NOLA doesn't count suburbs as part of the metro. NOLA is NOLa, Jeff Parish is Jeff Parish, not NOLA metro.

Oakland is to SF as Santa Monica is to LA. Just because Santa Monica is separate from LA city doesn't mean it isn't part of the LA Metro or LA culture. Oakland is literally 5 minutes across the Bay from SF.

It isn't nonsense. You are really claiming that NOLA isn't poor, that Louisiana isn't poor. NOLA is one of the most violent cities in the US. I mean seriously.

Oh and for one activity you can do in SF and not in NOLA. See professional major league baseball x 2.
Excuse me if I came off rude.

New Orleans counts all of it's suburbs, Metiarie, Kenner, Hammond, Slidell, Covington, Mandeville, the Westbank, New Orleans East, Chalmette, need I go on?

Oakland isn't SF though. Period.

Poor compared to SF, yes. But not poor like Lake Providence, LA.
Check the stats. New Orleans isn't even in the top 20 in violent crimes. Murder, yes but as long as your away from drug and criminal activity you will be fine, I assure you. Street smarts are a must though, as in any large city. (Dark alleys, etc)

Just MLB?

Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,284,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac6270 View Post
If SF is so unique what does this city have that any other city would drool over.
LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

There are plenty of cities located near water, New orleans, on the Mississippi, or along the coast lines of the Atlantic or Pacific oceans, but San Francisco, by being surrounded by a bay that leads out to the Pacific Ocean, has an open and energetic, and lively feel to it. All qualities that would be an anathema to me in any other context.

Living in San Francisco my inner-goth maintained its melancholy, but I also found myself actually venturing outside before dark. Taking walks to nowhere, just to enjoy the views, the different neighborhoods, art museums etc.

Living in New Orleans I found it increasingly harder to get out and do normal, or cultural activities. I was not alone in my lack of interest of healthy pursuits.

Any daytime ventures quickly devolved into sitting on a bar stool somewhere in Elysian Fields, surrounded by many of the same people who worked at bars in the Quarter at night. And I didn't even drink.

Though mainly a by product of being young and having no firm goals or ambitions, some cities can weigh heavier on a vulnerable psyche.

I still enjoy visiting New Orleans though most of the people I knew then succumbed to Katrina, directly or indirectly, or to their own excesses.

There is a house in New Orleans, they call "The Rising Sun"......

Old 06-13-2011, 07:19 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,153 times
Quote:

New Orleans counts all of it's suburbs, Metiarie, Kenner, Hammond, Slidell, Covington, Mandeville, the Westbank, New Orleans East, Chalmette, need I go on?

Poor compared to SF, yes. But not poor like Lake Providence, LA.
Check the stats. New Orleans isn't even in the top 20 in violent crimes. Murder, yes but as long as your away from drug and criminal activity you will be fine, I assure you. Street smarts are a must though, as in any large city. (Dark alleys, etc)

Just MLB?
How are all those places part of NOLA, but Oakland is not considered part of the SF Bay??? Oakland is way closer than Hammond to NOLA???

Old 06-13-2011, 07:39 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,284,294 times
Quote:

That is very true.

Each has its own distinct persona and can be somewhat elitist towards the other, although not overtly. You could add Marin into the mix as well.

Due to housing constraints and rent control(if you've been in an apt. for over a year you are loathe to move and face a higher rent in a new building), not everyone lives in the city they are most ideologically in tune with, but enough
people do to be able to distinguish differences in cultures in each area.

THE CITY rules!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:24 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
Nearly a quarter of New Orleans residents have an income at or below the poverty line. Whether or not one defines that as a "poor city," it's not exactly "nonsense" to suggest that.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
How are all those places part of NOLA, but Oakland is not considered part of the SF Bay??? Oakland is way closer than Hammond to NOLA???
I'm talking in the metro area. I know how far it is. I was replying to someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City