Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Orleans vs San Francisco
San Francisco 262 57.71%
New Orleans 192 42.29%
Voters: 454. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 08:36 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
You've got some kinda crazy anti-west coast fetish going on.....

So then you wake up in SF and look out the window to another beautiful day, you see the hills, the bay, the bridges and architecture, not to mention the trees and flowers (all year round). If you live there you probably never go to Alcatraz unless someone visits. You would, however enjoy the thousands of varied and exquisite restaurants and eateries. Perhaps on the weekend you'll take a day trip to Monterey/Carmel, or maybe the Napa Valley, or perhaps a bit farther to Lake Tahoe. On the other hand you can stay right in the bay area, drive 15 miles south of the city on the coast and be in completely secluded beaches, for that matter cross the golden gate and enjoy a day on the bay in Sausalito. Its not so bad....
the scenery is nice but it becomes routine. i became "used to it" after 4 days in san francisco.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 04-24-2011 at 08:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 09:25 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
So did you agree with me that New Orleans might be overrated and that being such a hot and humid place it should have nice beaches around it and not be in a swamp?

I agree. I would pick Houston over New Orleans for the Gulf region.

For the Southern USA region I would pick Austin, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Miami, Key West, Atlanta, Savannah, and Charleston over New Orleans.
Except Houston, Dallas, and Charlotte are not remotely in the same league as cities like New Orleans, San Francisco, Key West, Charleston, and Savannah.
Houston, Dallas, and Charlotte came of age post WWII and not nearly as eclectic and are totally different animals. Also Austin, Dallas, and Charlotte do not have a decent beach within 100 miles of their respective cities which you state as one of you requisites above. At least New Orleans has the Mississippi Gulf Coast within an hour or so which does have attractive beaches and not much further distance as Galveston is to Houston. Louisiana bayous are unique and fragile; I'd rather see them while they are still there than go to San Francisco again. The food in New Orleans is enticing enough as it is. To live I would not pick either city, but both New Orleans and San Francisco are very fun to visit.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-24-2011 at 10:06 AM..

Old 04-24-2011, 09:36 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
SF, while nicer, and superior in practically evry measurable category, is typical when compared to a place like NO, which is one of the US's most unique and cultured cities.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:18 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
SF, while nicer, and superior in practically evry measurable category, is typical when compared to a place like NO, which is one of the US's most unique and cultured cities.

ppfffffffffffft, you have no clue

Last edited by slo1318; 04-24-2011 at 09:38 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 10:24 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Very very true. Lots of people look down on cities like New Orleans when compared to SF, DC, and Chicago.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:21 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
SF is in no way "typical" compared to New Orleans. Just because NO is pretty unique among US cities doesn't mean that SF isn't as well. Name one US city that has a similar history to SF, and similar architecture, geography, built environment, politics, and demographics. There are none, therefore SF doesn't seem very typical to me.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:02 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
SF is in no way "typical" compared to New Orleans. Just because NO is pretty unique among US cities doesn't mean that SF isn't as well. Name one US city that has a similar history to SF, and similar architecture, geography, built environment, politics, and demographics. There are none, therefore SF doesn't seem very typical to me.
I would say no other city is. But in a general, broad view, I'm willing to bet that I could find more things similar to SF than to NO, around the country.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:12 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Love New Orleans. Love San Francisco.

Love San Francisco more.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:01 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,020,368 times
New Orleans-soul
SF-Hoity Toity
Oakland-soul

Old 04-25-2011, 03:04 PM

17 posts, read 75,089 times
New Orleans.

SF is nice, but if I were to live in CA, SF would not be my first choice. The architecture isn't all that great, and I prefer NOLA's food, I love Cajun food!
I think the people in NOLA are a little nicer, but that's just based on my experiences.
I know New Orleans doesn't have that pretty beach that everyone loves, but I'm not really a big fan of beaches. I find New Orleans to be more homey, and I think it's really pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City