Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami will surpass Atlanta by 2025?
Ya 43 55.13%
No 35 44.87%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 06:28 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
How is the City of Atlanta or Fulton County supposed to impose these zoning restrictions on the places that are currently sprawling, such as Winder, Newnan, Monroe, and Gainesville? These places aren't even in the same multi-county planning district that we are!

The south is full of people, even in the countryside (Georgia has four million people living OUTSIDE of the Atlanta metro). The idea that some of these fringe cities, which are basically southern towns run by a conservative political establishment, should turn their zoning codes upside down to accommodate the smart growth goals of an urban area 50 miles away that they don't even like to begin with will not be met warmly.
Guess you're f'd then...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 11:55 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
City proper atlanta will be larger . Miami is only 55 sq miles and already 12,000 ppsm very dense . Miami grew fast up tell the condo bust but I cant see them building many condos now. So in 2020 Miami's population increase will be much smaller. Where Atlanta has a much larger city footprint to grow in. In the current economy Atlanta is going to grow faster. Atlanta is a working city compared to people buying vacation condos. And dont forget Atlanta is 134 sq miles gives it a buch of room to grow. With a better transportation sytem in Atlanta and high gas prices I think Atlanta will become very dense in the near future. People will move back to the cities if they cant afford to drive. So Atlanta Wins.
Actually, Miami has only about 36 square miles of land. As for the condos, keep in mind that many were completed but unoccupied as of the last Census. Even without adding any more inventory to the housing market, Miami probably has the possibility to grow by tens of thousands. If Atlanta does densify in its land area, It could grow by much more but that all remains to be seen. Will banks even finance such development in the coming years when there's so much property in the metro that's vacant? Conversely and fortunately for Miami city, much of the vacant stock in its tiny footprint.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:57 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

You are making my point.If Miami is actually only 55sq mi then the scarcity of land drives up th prices of livability in the city core.Atlanta being larger with less density currently has more land.While its more dense than in the suburbs,the amount of land and areas available for development is more varied in cost.Atlanta has plenty of areas where you can get a minimum 2bdr condo or house in a decent neighborhood in the city for $200,000.Can you do that in a lot of places in Miami?
I think you can in this market. A few years ago, the answer would have been a resounding NO!

Old 05-08-2011, 01:25 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Guess you're f'd then...
Not really. Those places are so far from the city it doesn't even matter. They are also not employment centers nor even major population centers. They just a bunch of small towns that became part of Metro Atlanta by proxy.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:52 PM

312 posts, read 436,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
The census will be altered in Atlanta's favor in June.
The difference is that Miami actually has announced that it's challenging the United States Census Bureau. It announced it just 20 days ago and is fairly recent and Atlanta has still yet to announce that it will.

Two cities that should, Atlanta and Chicago haven't formerly announced it yet and maybe wont, all they've done is acknowledge and question "what went wrong?" but neither have stated that they will formerly challenge the US Census and if they don't soon within the next 20 days then they'll miss out.

So now the tally is up Houston, New York, Detroit, El Paso, Miami, and maybe a few I'm missing are all challenging the US Census Bureau.
Quote:
That was the word from city hall Tuesday as Mayor Tomas Regalado and other elected officials announced a challenge to the Census Bureau’s head count of the Magic City.
Miami: Don’t Count Us Out « CBS Miami

Old 05-08-2011, 11:59 PM

20 posts, read 30,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
The question is what kind of industry will sustain growth in Miami in upcoming years?
Cocaine

Old 05-09-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
The difference is that Miami actually has announced that it's challenging the United States Census Bureau. It announced it just 20 days ago and is fairly recent and Atlanta has still yet to announce that it will.

Two cities that should, Atlanta and Chicago haven't formerly announced it yet and maybe wont, all they've done is acknowledge and question "what went wrong?" but neither have stated that they will formerly challenge the US Census and if they don't soon within the next 20 days then they'll miss out.
Not true, and the city announced they would challenge on April 12th:

Fulton, Atlanta ready to fight census counts *| ajc.com

Not sure about chicago though.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:27 AM

312 posts, read 436,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Not true, and the city announced they would challenge on April 12th:

Fulton, Atlanta ready to fight census counts *| ajc.com

Not sure about chicago though.
Chicago's a loser here because of their lameduck mayor. Such a laughable fellow he is.
Quote:
In New York, Houston and Detroit, mayors greeted disappointing census results by targeting the messenger. Those cities think the Census Bureau got the count wrong and plan to formally challenge their results.

Chicago got bad news too — the census reported that the city had lost about 200,000 residents in the last decade. City officials have the right to file a formal challenge, but that prospect has created some divided opinion. Nearly every member of the City Council has signed on to a resolution calling for a recount, but Mayor Richard Daley has dismissed the idea. An appeal can't be filed until June, so this decision falls into the lap of Mayor-elect Rahm Emanuel.

Every person counted brings about $1,500 a year in federal aid.

The numbers game - Chicago Tribune
Before someone from Chicago comes at me with a pitch fork, I'm not insulting your city but that useless mayor you've had for the last 22 years really holds you back. I mean it will cost you to challenge the US Census, hiring an attorney and data compiler's but if you win which is a 50/50 chance then you get more out of it. What a backwards mayor Chicago has, Emmanuel will mop the floor with Daley's lame policies.

That's awesome, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it pans out for Atlanta, Detroit, Miami, Houston, El Paso, and New York. The success rate last decade was extremely low though. Let me get that article I read yesterday on it.
Quote:
After the 2000 Census, the bureau found possible problems in 1,180 of the country's 39,000 jurisdictions. In the end, it raised the national tally by about 2,700 people.

Cities dispute 2010 Census counts - USATODAY.com
Just in case anyones interested.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:37 AM

Old 05-09-2011, 04:11 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Why are my pictures always deleted but other people's pictures get to stay up? I feel like I'm being singled out lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City