Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 12:01 PM

151 posts, read 162,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Because word of mouth is a pretty big thing.....two Chinese families take a trip, one to NYC, one to Chicago......upon returning to China they compare their photos, experiences, and costs.

NYC has the advantage of near monopolistic control of America's global image......but that's not enough to keep the world ignorant.

Beijing more or less controls China's image....but I'd rather go to Shanghai, Nanjing and Chengdu (been to all four btw). Where would you rather go? Beijing?
While I still disagree with your comparison of NYC, I agree with your word of mouth statement. I feel that is really where Chicago is starting to gain.

I look at my mom's international students, and again almost all of them prefer Chicago over LA and NYC. The only one that Chicago can't quite top is SF. So you better believe that when they go back they will tell people about their experiences and their preferences. So when their friends and family consider doing a trip here, they might not pick Chicago over NYC, but they most certainly might look into visiting Chicago as well.

Also, social media helps too. Her students add me as friends on Facebook. They are constantly putting up beautiful pictures up of Chicago, pics of themselves at festivals, of them at the beach etc. So a lot of people, their friends and family are seeing that. Back 15 years ago their friends wouldn't see that.

So I think Chicago is one of those cities that is really benefiting from word of mouth and believe it or not from social media too. I think as an international destination its starting to become much more discovered.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:02 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Too bad you have to drive two hours to even get to them.
Well well...the world's most anti-Chicago tard shows up.....in fact the lakes start within the metro area, places like Lake Zurich Crystal Lake etc......and continue over the border into Wisconsin (Lake Geneva) and fan out from there.

Even middle class Chicagoans can afford to buy a small cabin on a Wisconsin Lake, supply and demand.

And even over in suburban Indiana there are lakes such as Cedar Lake and Lake of the Four Seasons.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:03 PM

555 posts, read 591,389 times
Quote:
I think the biggest threat Chicago poses to New York is international tourism.

Chicago has record 46.37 million tourists - chicagotribune.com

It's only a matter of time before the word gets out that Chicago is cheaper, more beautiful, and friendlier than NYC.
Yes. Yes. And there are obviously millions of tourist abroad who look at the map and ponder: which friemdly and cheap city we should visit this year. Lets fly across the globe to see a cheap american city. lol

Of course we all know that tourist look for attractions, museums and famous places and Chicago can't match New York in any of these categories. On top of this Chicago is much more dangerous and unfriendly. Of course Midwestern who mistake politeness for friendliness will claim otherwise. Anyways, a always with Midwest his post is a treat for psychology students. Lol

Old 09-06-2013, 12:05 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,769 times
Quote:
Because word of mouth is a pretty big thing.....two Chinese families take a trip, one to NYC, one to Chicago......upon returning to China they compare their photos, experiences, and costs.
What evidence do you have that "word of mouth" is boosting Chicago international tourism?

Chicago isn't even a major international tourism center. It isn't in the Top 10 in the U.S.

If you were an international visitor, and you were visiting the U.S. for a limited period of time, why would Chicago be a high priority relative to other cities?

It isn't well located relative to other popular destinations, it doesn't have super-iconic attractions, and it's thought of more as a business center.

To me, it seems very logical why Orlando, or Miami, or LA, or SF, are bigger international tourist destinations. Orlando is the theme park capital of the planet, Miami is sexy and tropical and iconic, LA is Hollywood and Beverly Hills and Disney, and SF is one of the most beloved and attractive cities anywhere.

Chicago is a great city, by any measure, but doesn't have comparable iconic attractions. It has many top-notch big city attractions, but if you want a cosmopolitan big city experience, NYC destroys all in the U.S. (and possibly the world). It's just reality.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:06 PM

Does someone hear something?!

Old 09-06-2013, 12:06 PM

555 posts, read 591,389 times
Quote:
Well well...the world's most anti-Chicago tard shows up.....in fact the lakes start within the metro area, places like Lake Zurich Crystal Lake etc......and continue over the border into Wisconsin (Lake Geneva) and fan out from there.

Even middle class Chicagoans can afford to buy a small cabin on a Wisconsin Lake, supply and demand.
The first lake which is any kind of attraction is lake Geneva. That's two hours. And it's miserable with a tiny, ugly "beach".

Old 09-06-2013, 12:07 PM

Again projection....fascinating. What happened to you in Chicago that so poisoned your heart to the place?

Fascinating your tenacious hatred of my hometown.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Again projection....fascinating. What happened to you in Chicago that so poisoned your heart to the place?

Fascinating your tenacious hatred of my hometown.
Some of the things said are exaggeration and I cringe, but some of them are also very true. Whether true or not, you cannot seem to handle it. This whole cycle gets old.

In the eyes so many people, overall, Chicago cannot compete with NYC. It's just reality. As has been said, Chicago is a great city, I myself love it, but NYC does destroy so much other competition including Chicago in many categories. It doesn't mean we all hate Chicago, and we're out to destroy its image, it's just truth based on attractions and tourism and more.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:11 PM

And regarding international tourist arrival stats, they are based on airport arrivals, not final destinations. A huge number of Asian travelers to Chicago would transit through SF/LA, yet the stats don't reflect their final destination. Same goes for a European transiting through an East Coast Airport.

The numbers do not reflect the scale of internationl tourism to Chicago in any way. Because it is located in the center of the contininent, no city would be as undercounted in such measures as much as Chicago.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Some of the things said are exaggeration and I cringe, but some of them are also very true. Whether true or not, you cannot seem to handle it. This whole cycle gets old.

In the eyes so many people, overall, Chicago cannot compete with NYC. It's just reality. As has been said, Chicago is a great city, I myself love it, but NYC does destroy so much other competition including Chicago in many categories. It doesn't mean we all hate Chicago, and we're out to destroy its image, it's just truth based on attractions and tourism and more.
I don't think he is complaining about you or people who are objective and at least respectful in their posts. But there are trolls here lately, that everytime a Chicago thread pops up they appear and they start to bash and only say negative things about the city. And lately there has been a lot. So a little Chicago forumers are little irritable lately.

A good strategy is to just ignore the trolls. They are lonely people looking for attention, and ignoring them drives them even crazier than making them look stupid in a debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City