Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better for a big city vacation?
Bos 77 62.10%
DC 47 37.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 01:53 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Philly s a great city, but I think Boston & DC are better for tourists.
I disagree. As far as visiting is concerned, they are all in the same tier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 04:40 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Maybe the forumer has been to Philadelphia. The question was Boston or DC. Let's try to keep it that way.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:01 PM

5 posts, read 6,037 times
Thanks for the advice. Fwiw, I'm taking a day trip to philly. Ideally I would like to also see both dc and bos. But I can't since they are too far from nyc.

Looks like the advice is bos by a wide margin. Kind leaning that way. Is it true that dc is more of a 9/5 town?

Old 05-28-2011, 06:35 PM

336 posts, read 768,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeriz View Post
Thanks for the advice. Fwiw, I'm taking a day trip to philly. Ideally I would like to also see both dc and bos. But I can't since they are too far from nyc.

Looks like the advice is bos by a wide margin. Kind leaning that way. Is it true that dc is more of a 9/5 town?
No it isn't please don't believe most of these posters on here they aren't even from D.C.
I'm from D.C. born and raised.
D.C. is much more than what you see on D.C.
D.C. is alive much after 5pm there is always something going on!!!
I went clubbing on a wedensday night and it was still live at 3am on u street.

The truth is a lot of people on here don't like D.C., so if this poll was against DC vs any city DC will always lose because it has a lot of haters.
If you are visiting NYC than I don't see the need to visit Boston too, especially when they are both NE cities with the same type of neighborhoods. Whatever Boston has you can find in NYC too.

DC on the other hand is different, its the urban south with a twist.
A trip to D.C. is one you would never forget.
DC is more diverse than Boston and has more things to do.
Plus if you are visiting Philly anyways you might as well visit DC too since DC is closer to Philly and NYC than Boston is.

I'm not boosting my city because it is what it is, and D.C. is better than Boston.
Not even being biased Boston is okay but is just a smaller NYC, thats it so is Philly.
DC is different because you have northern and southern vibes.

Alot of people are ignorant about D.C., its more than just the monument, white house, and all that other bull***** downtown.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:40 PM

336 posts, read 768,321 times
Neighborhoods in D.C. I recommend visiting:
-Georgetown (DC's premier high end shopping district and oldest neighborhood)
-Gallery Place/Chinatown (Verizon Center, Restaurants, Lounges, Bars, Movie Theater, Bowling Alley, Shops)
-U street corridor (Ben's Chili Bowl and many other restaurants as well as lots of bars and clothing boutiques)
-Columbia Heights (Meridian Pint and Red Rocks Pizzeria are must go places)
-Adams Morgan (DC's biggest club and lounge scene)
-Mt. Pleasant
-Dupont Circle (DC's most liberal neighborhood, plenty of restaurants, bars, lounges, clubs, cultural events, etc)
-Farragut Square/Golden Triangle (Plenty of bars and lounges)
-Penn Quarter
-Logan Circle
-Barracks Row/Eastern Market
-Capitol Hill
-Old Town Alexandria

It'll be a unique experience

Old 05-28-2011, 07:02 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,326 times
I have been to both. Here is my breakdown:

Boston is more of an 'urban' city than DC, with a lot of charm and lots to do. I think the only thing that I was disappointed about Boston was it's nightlife. While it wasn't bad, I really didn't think it was very good either. If anything it was mediocre. I think there is more to see and do in Boston if you are a true urbanist than DC. I also thought Boston would feel more cosmopolitan and I was also disappointed with that.

DC is IMO a strange city that I love. It's strange because in a way it doesn't feel like a real city because it is so government oriented and transplants are a dime a dozen. That's not a bad thing either. I think it provides a cool experience. I found DC to definitely be much better in terms of nightlife. I partied in Georgetown, DuPont Circle and Adams Morgan. IMO the nightlife was much better in DC than Boston. DC was also more cosmopolitan (how could it not be) and I believe much prettier than Boston.

Either way, both are fantastic cities and whatever you decide will be fine. However, if you haven't been to Boston yet and have been to DC I suggest you go to Boston.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:06 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,640 times
Boston (then again I'm biased )

Old 05-28-2011, 07:06 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
No it isn't please don't believe most of these posters on here they aren't even from D.C.

The truth is a lot of people on here don't like D.C., so if this poll was against DC vs any city DC will always lose because it has a lot of haters.
If you are visiting NYC than I don't see the need to visit Boston too, especially when they are both NE cities with the same type of neighborhoods. Whatever Boston has you can find in NYC too.

Plus if you are visiting Philly anyways you might as well visit DC too since DC is closer to Philly and NYC than Boston is.

I'm not boosting my city because it is what it is, and D.C. is better than Boston.
Not even being biased Boston is okay but is just a smaller NYC, thats it so is Philly.

DC is different because you have northern and southern vibes.

Alot of people are ignorant about D.C., its more than just the monument, white house, and all that other bull***** downtown.
You are not being biased? Some people think Boston is better, some think DC is better. However to say that DC is better than Boston like it's a fact truly shows how biased you are being.

I also think the whole Boston is a smaller NYC and that's it is ignorant on your part. It's just as easy as saying that DC is nothing but a city on a swamp that is all about government. Boston is not a smaller version of NYC and DC isn't just city on the swamp. I highly doubt you have been to Boston, because if you have been you wouldn't be saying crap like that.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:40 PM

90 posts, read 208,023 times
DC is a strange city because you can be in one spot and think that it's a way bigger city than Boston, yet you can be in a other spot and think that Kansas is way bigger.

Overall Boston will give you the bigger feel in downtown because of the skyscrapers and shopping, but in the neighborhoods DC can feel larger and more vibrant. On top of that DC feels way more cosmo/international/diverse.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:22 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
I agree with this. I think that there is a misconception that DC is 9-5 but that mostly pertains to some parts of Downtown..areas like Georgetown, Adams Morgan, Foggy Bottom, among others are offer great nightlife and are very cool.

Quote:
There really aren't any DC haters here that I know of...

And this is where you start to go nuts...

Quote:
Totally wrong. Boston is an extremely unique city with a rich history and interesting neighborhoods. Boston and New York do bear some similarities, but there is really not much similar about the cities themselves. New York is obviously a mega-city, while Boston--though one of the biggest cities in the country--gives a "Big Town" sort of feel. You will find some of the most unique neighborhoods in the country in Boston in the North End and Beacon Hill.

There are many, many other reasons why Boston is nothing like a "mini-New York".

Quote:
I've never really gotten that "Southern" vibe when I went to DC. It's definitely unique and an awesome city, but the Maryland/DC/NoVA area has a totally unique feel to it in my opinion.

A trip to DC is awesome, but so is one to Boston.

Quote:
Not really and no.

Quote:
At least you got that right. Well at least in terms of Philly to DC. Boston and DC are about equally as close to New York.

Quote:
"I'm not being biased, but here's my extremely biased opinion."

Trying to act as if you're impartial is a joke...much like your entire post.

Quote:
Yea and apparently you're totally ignorant of the city of Boston since you appear to know nothing about the city since all you can say is that it's a mini-New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City