Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: US City with the best Mexican Food
San Diego 26 7.49%
Los Angeles 82 23.63%
SF Bay Area 20 5.76%
Phoenix/Tucson 20 5.76%
Albuquerque/Santa Fe 36 10.37%
El Paso 15 4.32%
San Antonio 46 13.26%
Houston 28 8.07%
Dallas 14 4.03%
New York City 4 1.15%
Chicago 27 7.78%
Somewhere else 29 8.36%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:52 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Which makes me wonder how many restaurants in the East do that. Tailor to the chief demographic in the area. IE: Mexican restaurants by real Mexicans that make Mexican food that more reflects the chief demographic in the area, like somewhere in The Bronx vs a Mexican restaurant in Pasadena that caters to, well, Mexicans.
I'd guess probably most. I'd imagine most places are going to be heavily influence by whatever the busiest restaurant in the neighborhood is doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 12:53 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Now you're just nitpicking. What makes a pizza in NYC more authentic than a pizza in San Diego? Little Italy, San Diego - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's not "nitpicking." New Jersey has whole towns that are almost 50 percent Italian. I doubt you could find a street in California that's 10 percent Italian.

And do you really consider pizza and tacos to be the pinnacle of Italian and Mexican food, respectively? Pizza and tacos are about as generic as a ham sandwich.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:04 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
If the people in the Bronx know what they are doing and the people in SF don't, then nothing.

But the reason that the West Coast/Southwest is winning this thread IMO is that if you walked into a random Mexican restaurant in the West/SW, chances are it is pretty good. On the East Coast, if you aren't careful they'll try to sneak broccoli onto your burrito (true story!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Pizza is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think "Italian" (though it's funny that nobody's really mentioned anything about "Mexican" food beyond tacos, enchiladas and burritos). I think of sausage and peppers, palenta, fagioli, etc. That's "Italian" food. And you learn to distinguish the quality from the garbage by eating at your friend's house, not visiting the highest-rated restaurants on Yelp. Or "Italian" restaurants with Mexicans back in the kitchen.

Goodfellas - Dinner in Prison - YouTube
You know you're dealing with a real food connoisseur when he posts a clip of a mobster movie to make his case. NE Italian = Americanized version of Southern Italian cuisine, prepared in an agriculturally weak region. Meh.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
You know you're dealing with a real food connoisseur when he posts a clip of a mobster movie to make his case. NE Italian = Americanized version of Southern Italian cuisine, prepared in an agriculturally weak region. Meh.
You know you're dealing with real Mexican food connoisseurs when people bring up tacos.

Robot chicken bring me a taco! - YouTube

Old 03-12-2012, 01:09 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
It's not "nitpicking." New Jersey has whole towns that are almost 50 percent Italian. I doubt you could find a street in California that's 10 percent Italian.
You are an argumentative one.

But what you state is VERY true, at least with respect to LA metro. Surprisingly, I found that exclusively Hispanic Boyle Heights was an Italian enclave in the early 1900s, and that San Pedro, the port district, was heavily Italian earlier on. Many of the Italians' kids, as they grew up, bought homes and stayed. It's kind of industrial, but the ocean-side location is awesome. After WW2, Italians, many of them, were scattered all over the Southland. Italians had to get in their cars, and onto the freeway, to visit their paesano friends.

San Diego's Little Italy is among one of the bigger jokes ever, at the confluence of their gay neighborhood to the north and the encroachment of condo towers from downtown to the south.

San Francisco's North Beach is another fading icon. The Chinese have crossed over Columbus Avenue, which used to be the Chinese/Italian line of demarcation. They coexist peacefully. I think that Italian culture is so diluted in California, while Chinese culture is still much more intact.

But there's no arguing that Southern California is the mecca for Mexican food, at least in my opinion. Heck, California was once a PART of Mexico.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I think that Italian culture is so diluted in California, while Chinese culture is still much more intact.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
But there's no arguing that Southern California is the mecca for Mexican food, at least in my opinion. Heck, California was once a PART of Mexico.
That's not what I was arguing about.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:23 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
You know you're dealing with real Mexican food connoisseurs when people bring up tacos.
Tacos are beloved as any other food in Mexico and it's one of the commonalites that you'll find in all parts of Mexico. It's street food for the most part, but there's so many variations ranging from what you get in the Yucatan to what you get in in Baja or Jalisco. In Mexico City there's places that have been specializing in tacos al pastor that have perfected different versions of the marinade and would refuse to share their secret recipe for fear of competing establishments getting hold of it. More Mexicans probably end up eating tacos on average more often than they'd eat guisados or mole, and although it varies among regions and different segments of the population, it's as Mexican as any other dish.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:27 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:

Robot chicken bring me a taco! - YouTube
Good thing L.A. has a diverse array of Mexican styles, eh?

Old 03-12-2012, 02:47 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times
BTW there are quite a few Cuban restaurants in LA, whole bunch of central american, peruvian, argentinian, only know of one Puerto Rican joint, no dominican place that I know of, also lots quite a few Chilean restaurants and a few Brazilian places also, mainly in and around Culver City.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:57 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,991 times
Quote:
Pizza is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think "Italian" (though it's funny that nobody's really mentioned anything about "Mexican" food beyond tacos, enchiladas and burritos). I think of sausage and peppers, palenta, fagioli, etc. That's "Italian" food. And you learn to distinguish the quality from the garbage by eating at your friend's house, not visiting the highest-rated restaurants on Yelp. Or "Italian" restaurants with Mexicans back in the kitchen.
Quote:
Regional varieties of Mexican have been discussed multiple times on this thread, by many of the same posters whom you're implying are ignorant with the above statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City