Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: And the better city is...
Richmond, VA 25 25.77%
Boston, MA 72 74.23%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 08:27 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,776,031 times

Advertisements

I lived in Boston for around 15 years on and off. It was great at the time. Currently I prefer living in Richmond, my wife and I don't miss Boston at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 08:41 AM

370 posts, read 1,010,045 times
Most of these things will boil down to personal preference...

Weather- Couldn't handle Boston winters. Spring and Fall are fantastic in Richmond. Winters mostly mild. Summer, run to the beach or river to escape the humidity.

Quality of life- For me, Richmond. Smaller town, lots of choices for food, arts, and outdoor recreation.

Traffic- Richmond. Easily

Restaurants/Food and Shopping- Richmond holds it's own here, especially for a City its size but Boston is a much bigger town and the North End Italian joints alone would make me lean Boston.

Career Opportunities- Boston

ML Sports- Lol. Boston

Scenery- Richmond.

Cleanliness- Boston. Richmond still has a ways to go here.

Entertainment- Would have to go with Boston just based on size but Richmond is definitely a festival town.

Singles Scene- Don't know... would imagine Boston.

Cost of living- Richmond

Crime- Boston

Location within the United States- Richmond. Beach and mountains within an hour or two drive. More central along the East Coast

Residents- Tie.

Any other comments-

Which do you personally prefer? Two totally different towns. I loved Boston but would prefer living where I am now.

Old 12-20-2023, 01:46 PM

62 posts, read 37,492 times
Among those two cities which one provides better work opportunities in financial sector??

Old 12-20-2023, 02:01 PM

961 posts, read 722,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Financial Man View Post
Among those two cities which one provides better work opportunities in financial sector??
Seriously? This thread is like 14 years old. And it's Boston by a country mile (which is generally one of the 5 largest financial centers in the US and 15 largest in world). Besides being home to Fidelity, it's also home to tons of hedge funds and venture firms (as well as the HQ's of ancillary industries like management consulting, where Bain & Boston Consulting Group are based).

Old 12-20-2023, 02:03 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Boston

Old 12-20-2023, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Seriously? This thread is like 14 years old. And it's Boston by a country mile (which is generally one of the 5 largest financial centers in the US and 15 largest in world). Besides being home to Fidelity, it's also home to tons of hedge funds and venture firms (as well as the HQ's of ancillary industries like management consulting, where Bain & Boston Consulting Group are based).
Many thanks for this informative reply.

Old 12-20-2023, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Boston
Many thanks.

Old 12-21-2023, 08:03 AM

4,232 posts, read 2,455,407 times
Richmond was a pretty cool city, until it was destroyed during and in the aftermath of the George Floyd riots. I would still personally choose it as a place to live over Boston.

Old 12-21-2023, 08:36 AM

1,021 posts, read 910,624 times
Richmond was destroyed?

Any who, former Richmond resident currently living in Boston. Boston wins for most things job opportunity related, which is why I am here. However, Richmond does perform better here than most people realize who just chalk things up to "bigger city has to be better." Especially as a black person. I have not found Boston to be racist at all as a lot of people claim. Just that Richmond provides more culture, events and spaces for black Americans. Richmond also does better than Boston in nightlife which surprised me upon moving here. Likewise, I think Boston is being short changed here for scenery by people who are not as familiar with the area. Areas like Concord directly outside of Boston can be downright breathtaking and the rides to NH and Vermont are some of the most picturesque places to see on the highway on the east coast, especially during the fall. The choice between the two mostly comes down to preference and job opportunity.

Old 12-21-2023, 08:49 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
An informed, reasonable, and well-written response? On my city-data.com?! Absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City