Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2016, 12:44 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times

Advertisements

To people living in the hot megalapolis cities on the coasts who generally detest the central United States, I'm curious, for you where does Flyover Country begin and end? Is it at the western most edge of New York City all the way up to the Inland Empire? What defines Flyover Country to you?

Old 03-17-2016, 01:19 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,662,332 times
Pretty much anywhere that is mostly farmland or feedlots. Places where nature is still intact or there are cities or towns (that aren't just strip malls and sprawl) I wouldn't consider flyover country.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:51 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
When people use this term they usually are talking about places between the Appalachians and the Rockies. So really its just another way to take a cheap shot at the South and the Midwest. I have always said that what those elitist call "flyover country" is the real America. You know the part of America where your food is grown and your stuff is made.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
When people use this term they usually are talking about places between the Appalachians and the Rockies. So really its just another way to take a cheap shot at the South and the Midwest. I have always said that what those elitist call "flyover country" is the real America. You know the part of America where your food is grown and your stuff is made.
I'd agree, I know it's a pretty loose term, but there are a lot of really important, strategic, and historical cities located in what I've come to know as Flyover Country. Namely Chicago, Atlanta, Denver, Detroit, Dallas, and Minneapolis. But maybe it's with the exception of those cities, since all the coastal areas are part of a Megalopolis now, even the Gulf Coast stretches from Corpus Christi to Tampa and downwards along the coastline.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:16 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
There is no "flyover" country. It's just what arrogant coast dwellers who don't actually get out much call the majority of the country.

Ironic, because the coasts couldn't feasibly exist without the contributions of places like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Milwaukee etc. The sheer volume of production from those cities for many decades is really amazing. All are way friendlier than coastal cities anyway, and without the pretense of supposing oneself more cosmopolitan than others.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:58 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,148 times
I'm not claiming people don't really say "flyover country" -- most assuredly some do -- but I find that people in the middle of the U.S. complain about people saying it way more than people on the coasts actually do say it. I've lived most of my life in New York -- the city and the suburbs -- and honestly, I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say it in casual conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I have always said that what those elitist call "flyover country" is the real America.
It's all the real America.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:06 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
To people living in the hot megalapolis cities on the coasts who generally detest the central United States, I'm curious, for you where does Flyover Country begin and end? Is it at the western most edge of New York City all the way up to the Inland Empire? What defines Flyover Country to you?
To me, it's the area between the Mississippi River and the front range of the Rockies, not including the Louisiana Gulf Coast or the Texas Triangle (Dallas/Houston/San Antonio/Austin).

While there are some interesting things and places to see in this area, I don't think its too much of an over-generalization to say its the least exciting part of the United States.

Quintessential "Flyover" cities would include Amarillo (and other small north and west Texas metro areas), OKC, Tulsa, Little Rock, Shreveport, Wichita, Kansas City, Omaha, and Des Moines.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:13 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I'm not claiming people don't really say "flyover country" -- most assuredly some do -- but I find that people in the middle of the U.S. complain about people saying it way more than people on the coasts actually do say it. I've lived most of my life in New York -- the city and the suburbs -- and honestly, I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say it in casual conversation.

It's all the real America.

This is true. I've rarely heard anyone here use the term unless they are in the entertainment business -- in which case it refers to places basically that are not LA or NYC. But ordinary New Yorkers don't use the term in my experience.

And I hate reverse snobbery. NYC,SF, LA are just as "real America" as anyplace between the coasts. Vastly different, of course, but also quintessentially American. I hate those insecure folks in "flyover country" who can't appreciate where they are without putting down New Yorkers or Angelenos or DC folks as snobs or elitists, when they're demonstrating that they're the snobs and elitists. Wheat fields, small towns, and Friday night football are not better than the way we live. Or worse. Or more authentic. They're just different.

Can't we all just get along?

Last edited by citylove101; 03-17-2016 at 10:23 AM..

Old 03-17-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
To me, it's the area between the Mississippi River and the front range of the Rockies, not including the Louisiana Gulf Coast or the Texas Triangle (Dallas/Houston/San Antonio/Austin).

While there are some interesting things and places to see in this area, I don't think its too much of an over-generalization to say its the least exciting part of the United States.

Quintessential "Flyover" cities would include Amarillo (and other small north and west Texas metro areas), OKC, Tulsa, Little Rock, Shreveport, Wichita, Kansas City, Omaha, and Des Moines.
That seems like a pretty fair generalization, basically most of the Great Plains.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:35 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
the 91 freeway in California, and the Hudson River in New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.