Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather be considered a native or a transplant?
Native 60 58.82%
Transplant 42 41.18%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 04:47 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times

Advertisements

Do you think it's preferable to be a native or a transplant with respect to the area you are living in?

I mean, if you relocate somewhere, wouldn't you wish that you were considered a native instead of a transplant with respect to that area?

In my opinion, there's something valuable about being a native to a particular area. The intangible feeling of home or something like that.

I just think it feels better to be able to say, "yeah, I'm from here," instead of saying, "i'm not from here; I'm from ______."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 05:10 PM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times
Makes absolutely no difference to me, at least where I live. But most places in the West have a decent balance of natives and transplants that being a transplant doesn't really affect me one way or another out here, well in Albuquerque or Santa Fe at least. I imagine a small town would probably be different however in my two year experience out here I've never been made to feel like an outsider.

When I was in New England living there as a native, I could see how some transplants may have a difficult time adjusting as I heard from some transplants I knew there.

I like being from Boston though, it's a trademark. Every now and then people will chuckle at my accent, especially if drinks are flowing. They laugh and say..."no we love it, talk some more"! But I get the humor of it all as witty sarcasm and self depricating humor in good fun is another New England trademark and its a part of me. I couldn't imagine living there my whole life though, let alone for the sake of being a native.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-16-2014 at 05:26 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 05:19 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,603,469 times
I didn't vote, because I don't think this is an either-or type of question.

I think when living in any given place, what matters most is that you feel settled and acclimated. Where you're from originally should have no bearing on whether you're able to achieve that feeling. In fact, I think adapting to somewhere different is something that everyone should try at least some point in their live -- it allows you to truly challenge your comfort zone, which is a very important life skill.

I suppose it may also depend on the location. I happen to live in an extremely transplant-heavy area (DC region), where it seems like the exception to the rule to be a native. I'd venture to say that most people who have made this their home for many years have originally coming from somewhere else, so that's ingrained in the culture here. Overall, though, all major metro areas have at least a decent concentration of transplants who have acclimated just fine.

In places that have very few transplants, it may be much harder to acclimate, but, even then, you're often considered to be a novelty, and people may find you more interesting because you're not "one of them."

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have a place to be from, but that won't ever change. There's nothing wrong with having an adopted home away from home.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-16-2014 at 05:30 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 03:48 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times
It should not make a difference to anyone if you are or not a native.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:12 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,658,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
It should not make a difference to anyone if you are or not a native.
I take it you've never lived in the South.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:17 PM

268 posts, read 430,781 times
I think all that matters is living in a place you like. Sure, I'd rather be a native than a transplant in a place I like. But I wouldn't stay in a place just because I'm a native.

Do I wish I were born someplace I liked? Sure, would have saved me a lot of trouble. But I wasn't. Oh well.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:40 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,599,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I take it you've never lived in the South.
Actually, the place where I experienced the most passionate and intense native pride was Las Vegas. Probably because there are so few of them. Being a 'native' Las Vegan was a HUGE point of pride, and the natives would take every opportunity possible to let you know that. I would imagine Hawaii is similar that way.

I'm 5th generation 'native' to the city I grew up in, but couldn't wait to get the hell out, and immediately did just that, right after I graduated high school. However I'm definitely not ashamed of my roots there. I just couldn't stand the weather.

Still, in reality we're all just transplants, unless you're 100% American Indian. It really doesn't matter to me, or most people I know, one way or another.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 07-17-2014 at 05:08 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 04:42 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,012,512 times
No difference to me. Growing up in New York was great, but I would have love to have grown up in SoCal during the 60's and 70's

Old 07-17-2014, 04:42 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,993,367 times
Really depends on location. I am currently in Baltimore, and proud to be a transplant since I couldn't imagine growing up in this city. When I lived in New Mexico, being a native was seen as plus to many there.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:55 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
no right or wrong answer Pros and cons to both and is really a subjective individual decision

I liked aspects of both. After moving away I am home but for personal reasons and liked living in new places all the same (even if for different reasons)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.