Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 12:20 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I honestly read it very fast and saw just DC instead of DMV.
I might not think too fond of DC, but I give credit where it's due lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 02:16 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
I'm pretty sure the OP meant cities that have a greater abundance of rural and or wooded areas of sparse population. That's what he/she meant by Country Cities. For instance, driving through a dark, poorly lit, 2-lane, backwoods area of Jacksonville/Charlotte/Houston/Dallas/Atlanta/Orlando/etc when you're only 10 minutes from downtown. You know what I mean.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:33 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,047,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I'm pretty sure the OP meant cities that have a greater abundance of rural and or wooded areas of sparse population. That's what he/she meant by Country Cities. For instance, driving through a dark, poorly lit, 2-lane, backwoods area of Jacksonville/Charlotte/Houston/Dallas/Atlanta/Orlando/etc when you're only 10 minutes from downtown. You know what I mean.
Then by using that logic that still wouldnt apply to any of these cities...

Old 06-19-2011, 05:39 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:

No I don't know what you mean. You guys just fly out oxymorons left and right.
there are no rural areas in the city of Houston. and stop trying to answer for the OP and others.

it sounded silly when you tried to explain why LA was a one and Houston was a 9 by density. This whole thread is stupid and just because a city has dark poorly lit 2 lane areas does not mean it is rural. Houston probably has more large well lit roads than any NE city.

rural does not mean empty. Just because we have unused land does not mean it is agricultural land. Cities are areas that are not rural, and thus a not rural area cannot be rural. It just stupid that these terms get flown out here without not knowing what they mean. Suburban is not the opposite of Urban, rural is. And Rural is not a subarea of urban, suburban is.

why are you guys confusing suburban with rural???

Rural:

Suburban:

urban:
http://www.multifamilyinvestor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/houston-texas-apartment-portfolio-for-sale.jpg (broken link)

Houston does NOT have the first picture anywhere in its limits.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:13 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Too bad I can't rep you. You are so right.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:00 PM

857 posts, read 1,365,795 times
Lmao @ people getting so heated.. It's really not that serious.. But it's the usual suspects who always get their panties in a bunch.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:32 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
Southern:

dc - Google Maps

This is the only place in SE I could find with no sidewalks.
Sigh.

Two things.

1. That's not an example of an "Southern" looking area, it's an example of a suburban looking area inside of DC. Every big city North, South, East, West has an area that looks like that. It was born from mid-20th residential design (popularized in the NYC metro, not the South FYI) that most big cities have on the edges of area developed before that era. Developers wanted to find a way to keep people from fleeing the big cities to the shiny new suburbs that sprouted up along the Interstate system. Their solution was to build neighborhoods that were just like the suburbs. Obviously, that wasn't the brightest of ideas.

2. Whats with the "no sidewalks" comment. Are you under impression that big cities in the South don't have sidewalks or they are rare?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:48 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
2. Whats with the "no sidewalks" comment. Are you under impression that big cities in the South don't have sidewalks or they are rare?
I can't speak for birdsing's intentions, but from my experience in Orlando, Tampa, Raleigh, and Charlotte, sidewalks are lacking in large parts of those cities and I find them to be very pedestrian unfriendly for that reason and a number of other ways.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:07 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Too bad I can't rep you. You are so right.
I blame the media for screwing up the definition of words. I see them all the time calling independent towns suburbs of somewhere else.

We have generations of fools who grew up on this stuff, so now they make wild claims and yet they can't give a proper definition of the different land uses.

Urban areas => Primarily Centers of Commerce
Suburban => Primarily Residential Centers
Rural => Primarily Agricultural Centers

I would not call an area with enough commerce to be listed fifth in GDP rankings for the country not urban.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:23 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,047,500 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure this is what the OP was talking about in this whole dynamic of "Country Big Cities".

Charlotte, NC - Google Maps

jacksonville fl - Google Maps
That is a VERY MISLEADING snippet of Charlotte..That is in the back of a neifhborhood with a small wooded area in the back ten miles from downtown! Charlotte may be built suburban style but COUNTRY it is not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City