Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who you agree with this list or not?
Agree 32 39.02%
Disagree 50 60.98%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 01:40 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times

Advertisements

For shopping along Broadway the majority is latino but for restaurants, nightlife, working and especially living its whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 01:51 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
For shopping along Broadway the majority is latino but for restaurants, nightlife, working and especially living its whites.
True, but I just find that element RELATIVELY small compared to other downtown's. It's changing though, Downtown LA has great bones and a lot of potential.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:02 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Downtown LA's about to get another light rail line at the end of this year/beginning of next opened up radiating towards the west (culver city, eventually santa monica) that connects to a major university campus.

downtown's already been going through some massive changes this past decade, but i think this line by itself might herald an even quicker change of pace by connecting the downtown area with the university with culver city.

downtown la is more or less in the philly, boston, sf downtown tier, if not now, then in the very near future, as the rate of change seems to be faster (granted, this was because the area wasn't too long ago desolate and unpleasant)

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-28-2011 at 03:11 AM..

Old 06-28-2011, 04:24 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Actually, Montgomery County is only half urban up the middle. That is because of zoning. So yes, the agricultural reserve would be considered exurban which is what you are talking about. The corridor cites and their city limits run the length of I-270. The rest is not included in the urbanized population of the DC area. I thought you said you used to live here?

http://www.mwcog.org/uploads/pub-doc...0828145020.pdf

My response was to this:

Quote:
You just hit on a major point many on here probably don't know about DC. The council of governments in the DC area have basically stopped single family housing in the DC metro area except way out exurbs and are building only multifamily or row home dwelling units now. New Urbanism and infill is going to absorb almost all the growth in the DC area from here forward. Everything is being forced into job centers along the metro lines and walkable car free districts.

Which seems to say there is no single familiy development, far different than your latest post

Old 06-28-2011, 04:26 AM

Quote:
The point I was making is they are cutting wasteful spending to free money for new spending. That is how the government works. Also, the government hasn't been adding jobs for most of 2011. It's been cutting jobs especially contractors. Our private sector growth is what is keeping us ahead of the country. A chinese company just signed up to come to the new Science City in Gaithersburg two weeks ago.

Well you and I likely have a difference of opinion on spending; and on Gov't cutting wasteful spending - the last 20 years to me me would be quite contrary to that IMHO.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:06 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
downtown la is more or less in the philly, boston, sf downtown tier, if not now, then in the very near future, as the rate of change seems to be faster (granted, this was because the area wasn't too long ago desolate and unpleasant)
no offense but LA still has a lot more to do before it gets into the boston/philly/san fran tier.

i mean let's be real it's still not quite at the level of D.C./seattle/etc

Old 06-28-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
no offense but LA still has a lot more to do before it gets into the boston/philly/san fran tier.

No offense taken, but when was the last time you were in downtown LA? My last visit was a little less than a month ago, and I have been an off-and-on resident of the Los Angeles area over the last twenty or so years. The changes that have come across downtown and its surrounding neighborhoods are fairly drastic.

I am overselling it a bit though.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:37 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post

Downtown Seattle is a showplace that anyone would love to take visitors to.

Downtown LA is not but they are working on it. One thing I will say about Downtown LA is that is the premier wholesale shopping are of the entire Western US. In fact, based on my experience, NY is the only other place that has that to the degree that LA does and that's important to me because I throw a lot of social events and I like to personally plan them because I want to be just so, and as a result I frequently fly 400 miles south to DT LA to find linens, flatware, china, wine glasses, candleabras, sometimes even flowers and so on. I get in LA for sometimes pennies on the dollar what it would cost in SF.

Also, fine lace and other textiles,things for mass production of apparel and stuff like that is something DT LA resoundly beats everywhere else in as far as materials at the best price, except NY.

Anyway, I wish SF had something like that, but I suppose thats a perk with being next to the Port of LA.

LOL.

Anyway, Im not saying that Downtown LA is on the level of the others cause its not(yet), but there are somethings that Downtown LA has that nowhere but NY also has.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:48 AM

Also, downtown Los Angeles has some of the best and widest range of foods available in any downtown. Variety of food trucks, little tokyo, chinatown (with canto and vietnamese food), mexican food, salvadorean food, boutique eateries, classic diners, expensive steakhouses, little mexican women selling bacon onion peppers wrapped hot dogs after concerts, etc.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
True, but I just find that element RELATIVELY small compared to other downtown's. It's changing though, Downtown LA has great bones and a lot of potential.
I agree; I actually never went to the LA DT in probably my first ten visits. But in the few times I have been the great bones aspect is certainly present. Oddly I found the bones in some ways reminded me a tad of Philly (similar grid and scale seemingly) which was unexpected. I often wonder what the impact of the enhanced rail and residential development will have as it has a really great set of bones to start from. LA with a great DT would be one hell of a city (and it already is)

Not many places could compare to a great DT coupled with areas like Santa Monica or even the strip etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City