Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 11:34 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,910,913 times

Advertisements

But I'm not seeing your point. How does that make any of the people in LV, LA, Miami, and SF envy Houston if they try too hard in "those more pretentious cities."

Which btw, I have seen a LOT of materialism in parts of Houston, way worse than anything at least in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 01:21 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
"Long way?" Downtown Houston can surely use some improvement but it still has nightlife, is used for business and high end cultural activities.

Considering Houston has many options for entertainment that compete with downtown...the action in downtown isn't shabby at all:

YouTube - ‪Downtown HOUSTON - July 2, 2011‬‏

I think other cities can envy Houston because it can have a downtown scene as well as non-downtown type entertainment settings. They just don't want to admit it.

Houston in the past would frontload into a particular area. Not anymore. I like how different parts of the H-town metro offer different things. It's called balance.

My wife and I went from strolling downtown, having coffee and Italian soda at Minuti for one type of setting...then went to watch a live band over at Monnalisa in City Centre for another type of setting. On the way to City Centre, using Westheimer...we marveled at the funky nightlife happening in the Montrose area, the lively sidewalks near Royal Oaks Bar, Catbirds, Etro Lounge, Anvil Bar, Boondocks Club...

These other older urban cores that are so thought highly of? Where are there versions of Richmond Avenue? Kemah Lighthouse District? Rice Village? Washington Ave? Houston has ALL types of street settings. From super huge patio streets to extremely intimate street settings. Not many metros I've visited can boast that versatility.

You will not find a salty, bawdy, naughty Gulf Coast nightlife vibe like Kemah Lighthouse District in prim and proper places like San Francisco or Chicago. Sorry.

All these other older urban cores, for the most part, have the same type of city block, streetscapes. Just different names. Monotonous.
This argument you keep repeating is tiring as it falls short in two claims:

1. Houston's DT is dead by my standards and according to this article, is losing vs gaining momentum: Efforts to turn downtown into residential haven remain elusive | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

2. Houston is hardly the only city that has more than one neighborhood in which to drink, dine and seek other entertainment. Can you spell NYC? In fact, every major city I've ever been to has such satellite entertainment districts. I just happen to prefer those with such options in addition to a vibrant DT instead of in lieu of one.

As we're dealing with opinions here, I have nothing invested in disabusing you of your notion that's Houston's DT offers a dizzying array of entertainment options, nor of the city's "versatility" (as you call it) in comparison with other cities. Just be aware that what you call "monotonous", I find stimulating. What you see as "balance" I see as de-centralized sprawl not reachable by PT. What you label as "salty" and "naughty" I see as the self-described family-friendly Kemah waterfront (Kemah Boardwalk - The Fun Never Stops!). See - we each have our views and preferences.

It seems you have found an ideal place to hang your hat, so good on you. I'm just offering an alternative view.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:27 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
IMO this type of thinking is the downfall of america, right here.

I thought so too.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:56 PM

848 posts, read 2,126,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
This argument you keep repeating is tiring as it falls short in two claims:

1. Houston's DT is dead by my standards and according to this article, is losing vs gaining momentum: Efforts to turn downtown into residential haven remain elusive | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

2. Houston is hardly the only city that has more than one neighborhood in which to drink, dine and seek other entertainment. Can you spell NYC? In fact, every major city I've ever been to has such satellite entertainment districts. I just happen to prefer those with such options in addition to a vibrant DT instead of in lieu of one.

As we're dealing with opinions here, I have nothing invested in disabusing you of your notion that's Houston's DT offers a dizzying array of entertainment options, nor of the city's "versatility" (as you call it) in comparison with other cities. Just be aware that what you call "monotonous", I find stimulating. What you see as "balance" I see as de-centralized sprawl not reachable by PT. What you label as "salty" and "naughty" I see as the self-described family-friendly Kemah waterfront (Kemah Boardwalk - The Fun Never Stops!). See - we each have our views and preferences.

It seems you have found an ideal place to hang your hat, so good on you. I'm just offering an alternative view.
It's a great thing that we don't all live by "your standards."

Notice, I said downtown Houston can certainly use improvement. But to say it's "dead" or "there's nothing going on?" Whatever. My video totally KILLS that argument. There are bars, pedestrians, city blocks and night action in downtown Houston, period.

Downtown Houston is about to receive a Sundance Cinema from Robert Redford, the new Skybar is about to go atop Houston Pavilions, the awesome Phoenicia Market is soon to open...so

nothing going on in downtown Houston, eh?

Anal Urbanist types seem to have a rather either-or, black-or-white view of cities.

I've never seen anything like the Richmond Strip in NYC or SF or Chicago or any of those old-school tight spaces. You know, a good stretch of open boulevard, yet still walkable enough (in contrast to the infamous open highway vibe of Tampa's Dale Mabry), but has a good collection of HUGE PATIO BARS and DECKS! Concert Pub, Horn, Rocca Bar, Sam's Boat, Mazaj...those huge decks, open sky feel...that's what I'm talking about.

Yes, the Richmond Strip is accessible by PT, downtown is accessible by PT from the west-side but this is H-town, most of us drive and we KNOW it.

When I worked night shift at the Med Center, I used METRO about 2/5 of the week. METRO 82 picked up partyers from the Galleria area to head down to the Montrose or Midtown! I saw that a lot! People use the METRORAIL to go from downtown to Midtown, and vice versa.

"Urban" snobs seem to underestimate the PT that does exist in Houston.

The family-oriented Kemah Boardwalk is NOT the same party spot as the Kemah Lighthouse District, with those let-your-hair-down, Gulf Coast free spirit dives like Palapa Bar, Zone 504, Monkey Bar and such.

Moderator cut: image removed

Even those who purport to "know" the Houston-area spots seem rather clueless, lol.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 12:15 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 04:11 PM

Simply because YOU were able to take public transit in Houston doesn't mean it's convenient for 90% of the population, nor even half the population that would like to use public transit. It is well known that public transit in Houston is sub par (as it is for most cities including Chicago, SF, and LA).

Houston has the benefit of the weather so it can have outdoor patios all over the place. However, in Chicago, I urge you to walk down Division Street in Wicker Park, which is a wide street with wide sidewalks and a lot of outdoor cafes/patio bars in the summer.

In Los Angeles, there are ordinances against drinking on outdoor patios because of the foot traffic along Sunset, Santa Monica, and Hollywood Blvds.

The entrance to the lighthouse district looks just like Marina Del Rey. Big deal.

Every other picture you posted is very rednecky. I'm actually quite glad we don't have that in LA.

I'm not sure why you would think that a huge pickup truck surrounded by a bunch of undesirables is really something to be envied even if it is walkable, next to a huge sidewalk, on an outdoor patio.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:25 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Sunbelt mentality. "Who needs downtowns and mom and pops? I got my 5 lane blvd. and Olive Garden!"
Obviously, you rely too much on stereotypes and fiction. Figures

Old 07-10-2011, 04:44 PM

848 posts, read 2,126,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Simply because YOU were able to take public transit in Houston doesn't mean it's convenient for 90% of the population, nor even half the population that would like to use public transit. It is well known that public transit in Houston is sub par (as it is for most cities including Chicago, SF, and LA).

Houston has the benefit of the weather so it can have outdoor patios all over the place. However, in Chicago, I urge you to walk down Division Street in Wicker Park, which is a wide street with wide sidewalks and a lot of outdoor cafes/patio bars in the summer.

In Los Angeles, there are ordinances against drinking on outdoor patios because of the foot traffic along Sunset, Santa Monica, and Hollywood Blvds.

The entrance to the lighthouse district looks just like Marina Del Rey. Big deal.

Every other picture you posted is very rednecky. I'm actually quite glad we don't have that in LA.

I'm not sure why you would think that a huge pickup truck surrounded by a bunch of undesirables is really something to be envied even if it is walkable, next to a huge sidewalk, on an outdoor patio.
Some good points you make on some stuff.

I don't know the %s, but I'm not exactly the only one who uses public transportation in Houston. If you take METRO 82, 81 and 25...you will see that those busses are FULL. Houston's METRORAIL has something like the second highest ridership per rail mile. And thank goodness they are expanding it to the East End. Would be nice to take the rail to the interesting Harrisburg area.

But many of those "undesirables" are actually nice folks and at least, GENUINE people. Not like those fake a-holes I've encountered in Miami, Vegas and Hollywood's entertainment areas. At least there's something for everybody in H-town's metro.

We can have "rednecky" and we can have big city style ala LA or Miami, considering the big money and international make-up of Houston.

Never had an issue whenever I ate at places like Bakkus and Zone 504 down in the Kemah Lighthouse District. Damn good food there.

My argument goes...at least Kemah Lighthouse District is an OPTION in our metro. If we don't want the quasi-Sunset Strip flair of Washington Avenue or parts of Midtown, then we have Kemah as an option. Houston sure has it share of wanna-be douchebags en masse, just like LA or Vegas or Miami.

And for those in SoCal who might want that bawdy "undesirables" party area like Kemah...I guess they are SOL then. They would be stuck going to Santa Monica or Newport Beach or Pacific Beach (the physical texture of those SoCal spots all too similar, in my view). I like those SoCal places too...but Kemah is a kind of different spot, for sure. I've been to a lot of those Cali coastal spots and Kemah is way different.

I like Venice Beach, for it has many free-spirits...but it always seemed contrived to me. Still it's totally fun, regardless. On the other hand, Kemah's Lighthouse District in its vibe and place truly feels free-spirited.

Now with the emergence of The Heights, with its Munsterville vibe, with its growing bar/cafe scene, live music venues and fun beer gardens on White Oak St. for a different type of nightlife setting in the diverse Houston metro...I totally love the intersection of 11th and Studewood too.

Other cities have more arranged density, and that is their appeal...but Houston has contrast, and that is its eccentric appeal, and I like that.

And there is a definite contrast between downtown Houston...and someplace like Kemah.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:56 PM

Santa Monica nightlife is very professional and not geared toward the beach at all.

Hermosa is very beach like even in the nightlife.

So is Newport although Newport is fratastic.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:23 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
What is wrong with her boobs?

Old 07-10-2011, 05:49 PM

115 posts, read 207,949 times
Anywhere warm these days. Cities like Dallas, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. that are growing the fastest population-wise and economy-wise. I know I'm jealous every time Dallas gets a new huge skyscraper while the colder cities sit without growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City