Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 04:55 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
Actually, I can't believe I forgot about Germany. On regards to your question about what Kansas City compares to, hmmm... maybe Paris, France because KC has a ton of Boulevard's and was also discovered by the French, or maybe even Rome because KC has so many fountains. I honestly don't know that much about Kansas City though, so i'm probably not that much help.
Actually, I just looked something up. Kansas City was referred to as "Paris of the Plains". It would make some sense. St. Louis couls be compared to Sarajevo, Rome, and Mulhouse.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,772,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Here is something fun to do if you're bored. Take a city in the United States and pick a city in a foreign country that it looks the most similar to. Here are my picks:

New York City=London or Mexico City
Los Angeles=Sydney or Tokyo
Chicago=Paris
Detroit=Rome
San Diego=Perth, AUS
Atlanta=Tokyo or Sydney
Seattle=Toronto or London
Portland, OR=Vancouver, BC
Houston=Hong Kong or Shanghai
Dallas=Beijing
New Orleans=Bangkok
Miami=Seoul
Denver=Singapore or Zurich, Switz.
San Francisco=Melbourne or Sydney

Some of these matches you may not think look anything alike, but they do have a few things in common.
Don't ever disrespect Paris by comparing it to Chicago. Rome, Detroit? Are you on crack cocaine?

New York City = London
Paris = San Francisco
Barcelona = Los Angeles
Miami = Ibiza
Denver = Zurich
Boston=Berlin

Old 03-05-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
Don't ever disrespect Paris by comparing it to Chicago. Rome, Detroit? Are you on crack cocaine?

New York City = London
Paris = San Francisco
Barcelona = Los Angeles
Miami = Ibiza
Denver = Zurich
Boston=Berlin
I came up with the Denver-Zurich comparison. I guess we think alike in some ways. I can understand everything else, other than the Boston-Berlin comparison. That I can't understand.

I have come up with Atlanta and New Orleans as comparisons for Bucharest,Romania. Do you think you can come up with some for Bucharest?

I have this one: Mobile,AL - Odessa, Ukraine(Both are port cities that have Italianate, French, and Greek architecture)

Old 03-05-2009, 06:57 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,605,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post

New York City = London
Paris = San Francisco
Barcelona = Los Angeles
Miami = Ibiza
Denver = Zurich
Boston=Berlin
But comparing Paris with San Franciso is not better, honestly outside New York or Chicago at smaller extend I don't see a similar city at Paris in feel.
People always speak of architecture but architecture is nothing, Washington could be view as close to Paris is architecture but in feel it is completly different.

If we want to know how is Paris feels forget any stereotype about paris and think of New York.
Paris is a fast paced working metropolis of hip hop, multicultural ghetto with a stylish little center full of tourist, it remind me the description of New York.
I exagerate a bit of course.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:23 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I can give you that. There is some Greek influence in San Francisco.

One thing I seem to never be able to do. I have a hard time comparing Atlanta to any European cities other than Bucharest,Romania. Other than that, I can come up with:Fukuoka, Chengdu, and even IMHO Taipei could work.

Interestingly enough, I have some comparisons of my own.

New Orleans,LA - Bucharest, Romania(both are river cities located somewhat near/far from the delta portion of the respective rivers. Bucharest is often referred to as the Paris of the East. Both cities have an eclectic mix of architecture that is French-influenced. Both cities were nearly lost to distasters. NOLA was nearly lost to Katrina. Bucharest was nearly lost to WWII and the 1977 earthquake. Both cities struggle with corruption)

Detroit,MI - Riga, Latvia(Detroit at one time was called the "Paris of the West" . Riga is often called the "Paris of the Baltic". Both cities have seen some hard times. Detroit has some Eastern European influence.)

St. Paul,MN - Ulan Ude, Russia(Both cities are very cold and have European and Asian influences that are very unique. St. Paul is home to Scandinavian and Hmong populations. Ulan Ude is home to Russian and Buryat Mongolian populations. St. Paul was even called "another Siberia". Ulan Ude is in Siberia)
I actually thought that your comparison of Atlanta and Frankfurt was a good one. Both are modern, dynamic, business-driven cities. Both are major airport hubs as well, and they are roughly the same size.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:54 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Here is something fun to do if you're bored. Take a city in the United States and pick a city in a foreign country that it looks the most similar to. Here are my picks:

New York City=London or Mexico City
Los Angeles=Sydney or Tokyo
Chicago=Paris
Detroit=Rome
San Diego=Perth, AUS
Atlanta=Tokyo or Sydney
Seattle=Toronto or London
Portland, OR=Vancouver, BC
Houston=Hong Kong or Shanghai
Dallas=Beijing
New Orleans=Bangkok
Miami=Seoul
Denver=Singapore or Zurich, Switz.
San Francisco=Melbourne or Sydney

Some of these matches you may not think look anything alike, but they do have a few things in common.
This is a great list. I agree with most of them. The New York City = London is pure. I also like Seattle and Toronto (even to the point they both had MLB expansion teams in the same year). Detroit - Rome is a bit of a stretch.

The Chicago-Paris comparison is dead-on. Same rough size, second cities of their continents, sister cities, high culture and architecture, etc. There is even a recent POLL created by euros1 in this sub-forum comparing Chicago and Paris. Brilliant!

Old 03-06-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I actually thought that your comparison of Atlanta and Frankfurt was a good one. Both are modern, dynamic, business-driven cities. Both are major airport hubs as well, and they are roughly the same size.
Actually, AQUEMINI compared Atlanta to Frankfurt. In a thread about matching American cities to European ones, the only German city I matched Atlanta to was Berlin. Other than that, Bucharest comes to mind. AQUEMINI did have a good point. I would mainly compare Atlanta to a Chinese city mainly due to the fast growth and subtropical climate. In some parts of Atlanta's suburbs I see bamboo and kudzu(kudzu actually comes from Asia).

Old 03-08-2009, 02:11 PM

I have some more matches:

Santa Clara,CA - Eindhoven,The Netherlands: Cities with economies tied to high technology and computers. Both cities started out as very small and grew fast because of their respective industries.

Sacramento,CA - Santiago, Chile Cities with Mediterranean climates, located in valleys renounded for their agricultural value.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
But comparing Paris with San Franciso is not better, honestly outside New York or Chicago at smaller extend I don't see a similar city at Paris in feel.
People always speak of architecture but architecture is nothing, Washington could be view as close to Paris is architecture but in feel it is completly different.

If we want to know how is Paris feels forget any stereotype about paris and think of New York.
Paris is a fast paced working metropolis of hip hop, multicultural ghetto with a stylish little center full of tourist, it remind me the description of New York.
I exagerate a bit of course.
Actually, Marseille is the big hip-hop center in France. On that level, New Orleans would be the closest comparison to Marseille.

Paris was always big on jazz and swing dancing. Kansas City would be a good comparison to Paris because of this. That and KCMO was at one time called the Paris of the Plains, mainly because of its wide avenues, fountains, and other attributes. I got this from someone else on this thread and I thank them for it.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:12 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
A book I just read (Grand Avenues by Scott Berg), asserted that it was Versailles, not Paris, that was used by L'Enfant as the template for Washington's design. Versailles was one of the first 'planned communities', and Paris at that time felt largely cramped and medieval. At about the same time Washington was being envisioned, however, Paris was being remade into a city with expansive boulevards and vast public areas.
That's very interesting and I didn't know. Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City