Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 03:27 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,348 times

Advertisements

How's Portland and Vancouver B.C. alike? In what ways?

Old 08-09-2007, 03:44 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,690 times
Athens and Washington D.C.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:06 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Default Singapore and Los Angeles photos

Looking at these pics, Singapore's skyline looks similar to downtown L.A.

Singapore:

Los Angeles:

Old 08-09-2007, 06:15 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I'd also maybe say that Chicago or the Twin Cities or Detroit or Cleveland might resemble Toronto, and that Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver are very alike. If Mexico City were not so impoverished, I might be tempted to compare it to Houston...the few times I've been to Houston I saw more Hispanic people than African American or white put together, and most I saw were not speaking in English. But obviously Houston is a very rich city with a vibrant downtown and booming economy....however I do feel somewhat like I'm in Mexico when I'm in Houston.
I would not compare those two, and more than likely, a great deal of the Hispanics/Latinos you saw and heard were from not only Mexico, but El Salvador or Puerto Rico. Generally speaking, though, Houston is not a Mexican city. Latino, yes.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
BTW, how about New Orleans- Montreal.
Aside from the obvious Cajun/French influences, I don't think I've ever really compared New Orleans to any city. It's a little too unique. But if it had to be any cities, it would be Montreal (now that you mentioned it) and Houston.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:21 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Default Seoul and Atlanta pics

In this photo of Seoul, the skyline looks somewhat like Atlanta's skyline, especially one building in particular.

This is Seoul's skyline. The Seoul World Trade Center is in the center.

Now this is Atlanta. The Georgia Pacific Building is in the left, which looks like the WTC in Seoul. They may have been designed by the same architect.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post

Great picture of Atlanta. I've always enjoyed the look of their skyline. Even though the very tall and rather short buildings create an empty effect, it's still very neat. Very "New South-ish".

Old 08-10-2007, 02:48 AM

655 posts, read 2,182,743 times
No comparisons to Spanish cities? [Madrid, Barcelona]

Old 08-11-2007, 07:08 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,756,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
"New York City=London or Mexico City"
London has some similarities. No way on Mexico City
"Los Angeles=Sydney or Tokyo"
More like Mexico City. Definitely not Tokyo which is like a boring version of NY
"Chicago=Paris"
Love both cities, but no way. Paris isn't like any American city, but the closest American city would be D.C. or New York
"Detroit=Rome"
WHAT???? Rome, again, simply cannot be compared to ANY city. Detroit? When I was there it never entered my mind that "this is like Rome". I think run down industrial cities like Glasgow or Liverpool are the closest comparisons.
"San Diego=Perth, AUS"
I think Syndey is a good comparison. Don't know enough about Perth
"Atlanta=Tokyo or Sydney"
??? Wow. No way.
"Seattle=Toronto or London"
No way is it like London AT ALL. Most like Vancouver BC.
"Portland, OR=Vancouver, BC"
They are both in the Northwest.
"Houston=Hong Kong or Shanghai"
Hong Kong??? I'd say Frankfurt is as close an international comparison as I can imagine.
"Dallas=Beijing"
Huh?
"New Orleans=Bangkok"
Don't know.
"Miami=Seoul"
Havana
"Denver=Singapore or Zurich, Switz."
No on Zurich. Don't know about Singapore, but I believe it is far more dense.
"San Francisco=Melbourne or Sydney"
I guess I can see that.
I have never been to Detroit. BUT, I'm a lifelong New Yorker. I have toured Seattle, Portland, Toronto. I lived in Rome for a short while. I have toured Paris and London.

No way is Rome like Detroit.

Rome feels very New York, but not as much as London or Paris. Though Paris is a lot prettier than both.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:34 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,068 times
Default LA and Singapore

SEAandATL: Wow, they are a dead-on match. If you look them up on Emporis, however, you can see that Singapore has more to its skyline than just the small part shown in the picture.

I have never really been a big fan of LA's downtown. It always made me kinda mad that they are considered up there with Chicago (my town) and NYC in importance, but their skyline is more along the lines of a Houston or Atlanta (not very impressive, and too spread out).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City