Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 10:21 AM

135 posts, read 179,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Crime is everywhere and worse in other areas, it's humid in much of the SE/Eastern US, horrible drivers can be found anywhere and hurricanes???? In the past 50 years 6 hurricanes made landfall in the Miami/South Florida area with none in the past nine years. Southern California has had how many earthquakes, mudslides and wildfires in the past nine years? Too many to count..
And how many times has the bulk of the South Bay been devastated by an earthquake, mudslide or wildfire? Zero. You are not going to win the "natural disaster" debate, especially when by your own admission hurricanes make landfall in Miami once every eight years. We will likely both be dead (and perhaps 20 generations of our progeny) before the "big one" hits, but I can assure you that Miami will be ravaged again by many a Hurricane, as certainly as it will rain in Scotland. Cursed geography.

I completely agree with the poster than mentioned "visit Miami, live in MB". I love Miami, and go all the time (and have spent well over a cumulative year of my life in South Florida working and vacationing). At the end of the day, we are talking about two very different metro areas. There is a reason one has 6.5 million residents and one has 20+ million while being significantly more expensive - Southern California is nicer to live by nearly any measure in and can support infinitely more people economically. It has perfect weather and is attached to one of the world's great cities. It is California, which is exponentially better than Florida for anyone who is indeed a "young professional" and not a vacationer or oligarch's son. If you can afford it, you generally live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City