Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 06:16 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I didn't say that the majority of San Francisco is like that.
You just did that in the very same post:

Quote:
I said that you have a large, transient class that's completely out of touch with the larger region. And this gives the city a rather sterile feel compared to...
Once again, NE SF does not = SF. South SF is just as real of a place as anywhere in Oakland.

Quote:
The good thing about Philadelphia is that you don't get many of those types of people. I mean, if you could afford the hipster lifestyle, why wouldn't you move to San Francisco, Portland, the Village or Williamsburg?
The reason why there aren't a lot of those types in Philadelphia is because the city is too black for a lot of those types. It's the same reason there weren't any of those types in Oakland until more recently. I guarantee you that a sizeable number of those types in Brooklyn/Manhattan are coming from the burbs surrounding Philly. The suburbs didn't stop being the suburbs just because they're next to Philly, so in reality you have a **** ton of those types all around Philly. Philly just isn't on their radar... yet.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:53 PM

857 posts, read 1,366,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
You just did that in the very same post:

Once again, NE SF does not = SF. South SF is just as real of a place as anywhere in Oakland.

The reason why there aren't a lot of those types in Philadelphia is because the city is too black for a lot of those types. It's the same reason there weren't any of those types in Oakland until more recently. I guarantee you that a sizeable number of those types in Brooklyn/Manhattan are coming from the burbs surrounding Philly. The suburbs didn't stop being the suburbs just because they're next to Philly, so in reality you have a **** ton of those types all around Philly. Philly just isn't on their radar... yet.
Nevermind how ridiculous that sounds, I'm more interested as to why would you say something like that? What evidence do you have to support such a statement? Are you familiar with the demographics of Philadelphia?

Old 02-13-2012, 07:06 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,253,563 times
There needs to be a Philly vs SF sub-forum at this point. Other popular ones would be Philly vs DC, Philly vs LA, Philly vs Houston, Philly vs Chicago, Philly vs Boston, and Philly vs Atlanta. Surprisingly Philly, Miami, and Dallas posters get along with mutual respect

Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Nevermind how ridiculous that sounds, I'm more interested as to why would you say something like that? What evidence do you have to support such a statement? Are you familiar with the demographics of Philadelphia?

I certainly am:

Now let's look at the surrounding burbs:

The only notable exceptions I saw were these:

Why does that sound ridiculous again? It's not a secret that one of the primary reasons that American suburbia is predominantly white is because many suburban whites don't want to live around urban minorities, particularly blacks. It's also not a secret that the vast majority of hipsters come from these very same suburbs (not just the ones surrounding Philly). Not so coincidentally, there aren't many of them in Philly, or Baltimore, or Detroit, or etc. It's not that difficult to put two and two together.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:25 PM

422 posts, read 816,001 times
The reason that Philly and SF are often in a contested discussion is because of these three factors: 1) Neither is NY or Chicago. 2) Both have urban, dense cores that are truly the only two other cities that have comps to the aforementioned heavy weights. 3) Each offer a lifestyle of grit and city living that you rarely find in this country.

So regardless of how different they are. And that Philly has a better subway system. And Cisco is more liberal. Or Philly has better access to other worldwide metros. And SF has a more diverse MSA with San Jose, Oakland and Wine country in a stone's throw. Ultimately, both are top 5 cities no matter how you slice the pie. Two bad the blonde and the red head will never get along.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I certainly am:

Now let's look at the surrounding burbs:

The only notable exceptions I saw were these:

Why does that sound ridiculous again? It's not a secret that one of the primary reasons that American suburbia is predominantly white is because many suburban whites don't want to live around urban minorities, particularly blacks. It's also not a secret that the vast majority of hipsters come from these very same suburbs (not just the ones surrounding Philly). Not so coincidentally, there aren't many of them in Philly, or Baltimore, or Detroit, or etc. It's not that difficult to put two and two together.
Detroit is 82% black
Baltimore is 63% black
Philly is 43% black and 41%white ...so its pretty split down the line with that..

This is actually the first census (2010) that the black population percentage is higher (by literally 1%) Whites/Italians have always been the more dominant race in Philly which is why I asked if you were familiar with the demographics with Philly or if you were just talking out of your ***. So if you're implying that Philly is "too black" based off of Demographics..that can't be right. It's not really my place to educate you on how ridiculously ignorant you seem, I was just moreso interested in how this ignorant person (you) thinks and why you would say such a thing..but I guess my next question if you're up for it since you said that statement in reference to hipsters, only white people can be hipsters?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
The reason that Philly and SF are often in a contested discussion is because of these three factors: 1) Neither is NY or Chicago. 2) Both have urban, dense cores that are truly the only two other cities that have comps to the aforementioned heavy weights. 3) Each offer a lifestyle of grit and city living that you rarely find in this country.

So regardless of how different they are. And that Philly has a better subway system. And Cisco is more liberal. Or Philly has better access to other worldwide metros. And SF has a more diverse MSA with San Jose, Oakland and Wine country in a stone's throw. Ultimately, both are top 5 cities no matter how you slice the pie. Two bad the blonde and the red head will never get along.
I agree, and reps.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:29 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post

difference is, they're big in northern cali city

if they were 90 minutes from LA & Seattle

Old 02-13-2012, 08:32 PM

Very good point John.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:01 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Detroit is 82% black
Baltimore is 63% black
Philly is 43% black and 41%white ...so its pretty split down the line with that..

This is actually the first census (2010) that the black population percentage is higher (by literally 1%) Whites/Italians have always been the more dominant race in Philly which is why I asked if you were familiar with the demographics with Philly or if you were just talking out of your ***. So if you're implying that Philly is "too black" based off of Demographics..that can't be right. It's not really my place to educate you on how ridiculously ignorant you seem, I was just moreso interested in how this ignorant person (you) thinks and why you would say such a thing..but I guess my next question if you're up for it since you said that statement in reference to hipsters, only white people can be hipsters?

Agreed, while there are more blacks in Philly there are also more whites, nearly 2 to 1 compared to SF (though SF is slightly more white proportionally, very much less black and moreso asian

Also there is a hipster element, probably not as large when compared to SF

Philly is more a dichotomous city though overall when compared to SF, though obviously it isnt an either/or for either in any regard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City