Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 04:13 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
It is a depiction of roughly 500 miles of uninterrupted urbanity. I have nothing invested in changing your perception or anyone else's. I am putting it out there and different people will see different things.
I'd say it's about 300 miles uninterrupted. There are definitely noticeable breaks between the DE/MD border and the northeast suburbs of Baltimore as well as between Springfield and Worcester.

And let's be real, it's not all urban. The only truly urban stretches are the ones showing up in dark brown... The rest is mostly suburban/exurban. But I know what you mean. When you drive down I-95 it does feel like you are always going through something. The Northeast Corridor is remarkable. 4 of the top 7 cities in the country, and half a dozen other important cities, within 450 miles. There is nothing like that anywhere in the world. Not in Europe, and not even in Japan.

All we need is HSR.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:16 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I'd say it's about 300 miles uninterrupted. There are definitely noticeable breaks between the DE/MD border and the northeast suburbs of Baltimore as well as between Springfield and Worcester.

And let's be real, it's not all urban. The only truly urban stretches are the ones showing up in dark brown... The rest is mostly suburban/exurban. But I know what you mean. When you drive down I-95 it does feel like you are always going through something. The Northeast Corridor is remarkable. 4 of the top 7 cities in the country, and half a dozen other important cities, within 450 miles. There is nothing like that anywhere in the world. Not in Europe, and not even in Japan.

All we need is HSR.
It is 500 miles of uninterrupted development. I agree it is the highest concentration of major urban centers in our country, kind of hard to argue with that. But to say it is even 300 miles of continuous urbanity is just not true.

HSR should be running up and down both coasts by now.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
It is 500 miles of uninterrupted development. I agree it is the highest concentration of major urban centers in our country, kind of hard to argue with that. But to say it is even 300 miles of continuous urbanity is just not true.

HSR should be running up and down both coasts by now.
I wouldn't say it's 500 miles of uninterrupted development, but it is almost 300 miles of uninterrupted urban/suburban development. You can drive from the MA/DE border to Springfield without hitting an empty patch. Maybe just a couple miles here and there.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:29 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:

All we need is HSR.
Shenzhen, Dongguan, Foshan, Hong Kong, Macau and Guangzhou is more impressive IMO. Quite a bit more urban.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:33 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:

All we need is HSR.
As I expected in posting the map, different people will see different things and make different observations. Re the bolded comment, I am not as familiar with the Worcester/Springfield metro. I always pass through Providence on my way to Boston which is a solidly developed corridor. As the DE/MD stretch, however, you are correct that I-95 goes through a less developed corridor. However, 95 was planned to bypass the congestion along Route 40 (the Pulaski Highway) that extends from Wilmington into Baltimore.

As to the map, it's also interesting to note it does not extend as far north as Portland nor as far south as Fredricksburg - fairly solidly developed areas extending Bos-Wash in both directions.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Shenzhen, Dongguan, Foshan, Hong Kong, Macau and Guangzhou is more impressive IMO. Quite a bit more urban.
I wasnt talking so much about the concentration of population as the fact that we have 4 extremely important cities (3 of which are routinely ranked in top 25 by global significance) within such a short distance. I am sure you could find more people in less space in Asia (and maybe even Europe) but nowhere will you find 4 cities that are as significant so close to each other.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:47 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
I wasnt talking so much about the concentration of population as the fact that we have 4 extremely important cities (3 of which are routinely ranked in top 25 by global significance) within such a short distance. I am sure you could find more people in less space in Asia (and maybe even Europe) but nowhere will you find 4 cities that are as significant so close to each other.
True.

The triangle that forms the London/Paris/Amsterdam connection plus rail is significant however.
Within that you have Brussels, Rotterdam, The Hague, Lille, and Antwerp. Extended just a bit and you have Dusseldorf, Cologne, Luxembourg.
TGV/Eurostar/The Channel Tunnel is also much faster than any HSR in the U.S.
I would say that NQ quadrant of Western Europe trumps the NE Corridor.
Paris to Amsterdam is only 300 miles.
America is a laughing stock compared to Europe or Japan as far as rail goes honestly.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:49 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,538 times
Leave it to some posters to downplay the significance of the northeast.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
As I expected in posting the map, different people will see different things and make different observations. Re the bolded comment, I am not as familiar with the Worcester/Springfield metro. I always pass through Providence on my way to Boston which is a solidly developed corridor. As the DE/MD stretch, however, you are correct that I-95 goes through a less developed corridor. However, 95 was planned to bypass the congestion along Route 40 (the Pulaski Highway) that extends from Wilmington into Baltimore.

As to the map, it's also interesting to note it does not extend as far north as Portland nor as far south as Fredricksburg - fairly solidly developed areas extending Bos-Wash in both directions.
Yeah but if you go through Providence then things die down even earlier. You don't have a whole lot going on between New Haven and Providence except for a few small towns along the cost.

As for the other side you still have an empty stretch between Elkton and Perryville even if you take Pulaski.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
True.

The triangle that forms the London/Paris/Amsterdam connection plus rail is significant however.
Within that you have Brussels, Rotterdam, The Hague, Lille, and Antwerp. Extended just a bit and you have Dusseldorf, Cologne, Luxembourg.
TGV/Eurostar/The Channel Tunnel is also much faster than any HSR in the U.S.
I would say that NQ quadrant of Western Europe trumps the NE Corridor.
Paris to Amsterdam is only 300 miles.
London to Paris is about 300 miles and separated by the Channel. Same distance from Paris to Amsterdam. Not the same proximity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City