Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 04:06 AM

13 posts, read 12,434 times

Advertisements

The city is "Too Black" to have a hipster culture? The thing about Philly is it has a lot of people containing hipster qualities, they're just not hipsters. I know plenty of people from Philly who have nothing but APPLE products, listen to indie's music, and wear the clothing the grandmom's wore.

So what about DC? DC doesn't have hipsters because its "too black?". By the way what does this have to do with being URBAN?

All Bay Area posters do is post annoying little rants that no one even cares about. HIPSTERS HIPSTERS HIPSTERS, WHITE COLLAR, WHITE COLLAR, HIGHER CLASS! WORLD CITY! RICH PEOPLE! ASIANS!!!!!!!

Like who give's a **** if it's a Asian hotspot? Are we Asian? Does it being Asian mean a plus? If it had a lot of blacks, that means it's going to be a crap city right? I'm guessing if it was majority black and white and Baltimore was majority Asian, than I'm guessing Baltimore would get more love than most cities according to Bay Area posters.

If you people are going to be RACIST.... Be racist to ALL minorities. No racists go around saying "We have more Asians and thats a good thing!"

Old 02-14-2012, 06:13 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Wow, I didn't know the census had started keeping stats on Hipsters. That's great, because now important factual arguments like the one going on in this thread can have a leg to stand on!

Edit: Ooops, I just found out that the census actually is not keeping track of Hipsters.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:19 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
BajanYankee does have a point though... there is a very concrete reason why SF is perceived as a hipster haven and Philadelphia is not despite being very arguably just as urban and just as interesting.
I think you're right in terms of perception, but anyone who's been to neighborhoods like Queen Village/Bella Vista, Northern Liberties, Fishtown, Kensington and areas of West Philly knows that there is a very tangible hipster presence in Philly.

It may not be as large of a proportion of the overall city population as cities like SF, Portland or Seattle, but there's still a strong element here.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:51 AM

857 posts, read 1,366,342 times
Yeah that guy/girl clearly doesn't know what he/she is talking about. But it's pretty useless to go back and forth with somebody who already has their mind made up on something like that.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:43 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Redirect Notice

photo by Tim Bugbee

This band is from Philly... Looks like a bunch of hipsters to me

Old 02-14-2012, 09:54 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Paul View Post
The city is "Too Black" to have a hipster culture? The thing about Philly is it has a lot of people containing hipster qualities, they're just not hipsters. I know plenty of people from Philly who have nothing but APPLE products, listen to indie's music, and wear the clothing the grandmom's wore.

So what about DC? DC doesn't have hipsters because its "too black?". By the way what does this have to do with being URBAN?

All Bay Area posters do is post annoying little rants that no one even cares about. HIPSTERS HIPSTERS HIPSTERS, WHITE COLLAR, WHITE COLLAR, HIGHER CLASS! WORLD CITY! RICH PEOPLE! ASIANS!!!!!!!

Like who give's a **** if it's a Asian hotspot? Are we Asian? Does it being Asian mean a plus? If it had a lot of blacks, that means it's going to be a crap city right? I'm guessing if it was majority black and white and Baltimore was majority Asian, than I'm guessing Baltimore would get more love than most cities according to Bay Area posters.

If you people are going to be RACIST.... Be racist to ALL minorities. No racists go around saying "We have more Asians and thats a good thing!"

You assumed that I consider SF being a hipster hotspot to be a good thing. I don't.

And to the bolded, yes, sadly it probably would. There's no point in denying the racism that goes into why many are afraid of cities like Baltimore.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:50 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
You assumed that I consider SF being a hipster hotspot to be a good thing. I don't.
Hipsters are out of style in the Bay Area and have been for a while now.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:27 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
I wonder who has more mullets or bums or muslims or liberals or conservatives or South Africans

Old 02-15-2012, 08:58 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Hipsters are out of style in the Bay Area and have been for a while now.

Explain what you mean by "out of style"... I still see a lot of them.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:28 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
LOL at how this thread has devolved. Hipsters are to the last decade as yuppies were to the 80s and grungies were to the 90s.

Now left coasters are bragging they are at the center of the "today's" hipster culture. By all means - that crown is yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.