Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 01:06 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
The census uncovered the reversal of the decline in Philly's population, but it doesn't capture how recently that reversal actually occurred, or how much it is picking up now, and how the numbers are actually offset by a decline in population among the poor living near the city center. The new population in Center City (NY transplants & what not) is wealthier, younger and more likely to want to live in a high-rise condo than a re-modeled row house.
And personally love this article on NYC/Philly from the WSJ

Best part is the irony of the final line as NBC now owned and headquartered in Philly runs SNL

Jason Gay: Philly Out-New Yorks New York - WSJ.com

Old 08-03-2011, 01:11 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And personally love this article on NYC/Philly from the WSJ

Best part is the irony of the final line as NBC now owned and headquartered in Philly runs SNL

Jason Gay: Philly Out-New Yorks New York - WSJ.com
That's a fabulous article.

Like Ive stated in other threads, in 2011, neither NY or LA are as important as they used to be and that's not a bad thing. There is just too much going on in other cities these days that there is far less 'dependence' on NY and LA.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:56 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
Downtown Houston may have the high-rises to compete with SF and beat Philly's CBD, but it does not have the density nor the scope of Philly or San Francisco. Houston and SF are just about tied for CBD, both Philly and SF have many more brick and masonry buildings than Houston, and a far denser, more urban downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walfafalfa View Post
Most cities are similar in size when it comes to downtown give or take. NY, Chicago and SF are exceptions. Philly is similar size to Houston's although alot more lively. I've never been to alot of them but it's what I've seen on Google earth and went down cruising through streetview. It is very good, the google earth. but from the pictures, they looks similar with exception of the 3 above cities.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:59 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walfafalfa View Post
Most cities are similar in size when it comes to downtown give or take. NY, Chicago and SF are exceptions. Philly is similar size to Houston's although alot more lively. I've never been to alot of them but it's what I've seen on Google earth and went down cruising through streetview. It is very good, the google earth. but from the pictures, they looks similar with exception of the 3 above cities.

Not sure I would agree at all, SF/Philly are far closer in composition/feel than either would be to Houston in their DTs

Also DC from an office perspective on footage is in the set of the top three but no skyscrapers

Old 08-03-2011, 04:03 PM

One thing lost in the SF vs. Philly argument is that SF achieves peak density in a somewhat gritty part of town (Tenderloin), whereas Philly's peak density occurs in the nicest part of town (Rittenhouse Sq.) -- the effect of this is an abundance of fine restaurants, boutiques, etc. right in the city's center, and with a density that is reminiscent of Manhattan, at least for a few blocks square. In other words, the most vibrant parts of Philly are also the nicest and the densest, which is a good thing.

In fact Philly has done a great deal to reduce the density of subsidized housing projects, dismantling all of those high rises and replacing them with new row home communities that are HUD qualified. Often subsidized housing in Philly looks nicer than the 'old' row homes that cost considerably more. The only way to know you are in a 'ghetto' are the police cameras with the flashing blue lights on each corner.

Here's a housing project: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=philly...183.13,,0,2.51

And another, this one also contains the housing authority HQ: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=philly...310.19,,0,4.56

Even areas that were once war zones are seeing improvement, like this stretch of Cecil B Moore: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=philly...148.69,,0,6.67

There is a long way to go before this city (Philly) makes a complete comeback, but with a growing population, an airport expansion that's happening now, a very successful convention center expansion, Comcast becoming an entertainment juggernaut, the final & proper connection of I-95 from New York to Philly via a billion-dollar interchange, and the improvements already approved for Acela to increase Philly-NY speed to 160 mph means the future is very bright for Philly and urban density is sure to increase as a result.

FWIW, I have my own Philly virtual tour site, 360 Philly.com - It's a work in progress but you can get a feel for how urban Center City is. Full screen 360 tour from better viewpoints than Google street view. 360philly.com | Virtual Tours of Philadelphia

Last edited by Dub King; 08-03-2011 at 05:06 PM..

Old 08-03-2011, 05:49 PM

381 posts, read 861,887 times
Quote:
One thing lost in the SF vs. Philly argument is that SF achieves peak density in a somewhat gritty part of town (Tenderloin), whereas Philly's peak density occurs in the nicest part of town (Rittenhouse Sq.) -- the effect of this is an abundance of fine restaurants, boutiques, etc. right in the city's center, and with a density that is reminiscent of Manhattan, at least for a few blocks square. In other words, the most vibrant parts of Philly are also the nicest and the densest, which is a good thing.

In fact Philly has done a great deal to reduce the density of subsidized housing projects, dismantling all of those high rises and replacing them with new row home communities that are HUD qualified. Often subsidized housing in Philly looks nicer than the 'old' row homes that cost considerably more. The only way to know you are in a 'ghetto' are the police cameras with the flashing blue lights on each corner.

Here's a housing project: philly - Google Maps

And another, this one also contains the housing authority HQ: philly - Google Maps

Even areas that were once war zones are seeing improvement, like this stretch of Cecil B Moore: philly - Google Maps

There is a long way to go before this city (Philly) makes a complete comeback, but with a growing population, an airport expansion that's happening now, a very successful convention center expansion, Comcast becoming an entertainment juggernaut, the final & proper connection of I-95 from New York to Philly via a billion-dollar interchange, and the improvements already approved for Acela to increase Philly-NY speed to 160 mph means the future is very bright for Philly and urban density is sure to increase as a result.

FWIW, I have my own Philly virtual tour site, 360 Philly.com - It's a work in progress but you can get a feel for how urban Center City is. Full screen 360 tour from better viewpoints than Google street view. 360philly.com | Virtual Tours of Philadelphia
Yeah, but you're ignoring the fact that SF has very high densities in plenty of nice neighborhoods adjacent to downtown as well: Union Square, North Beach, Nob Hill, etc.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:54 PM

No I'm not ignoring it. I give SF plenty of props and I'm sure those neighborhoods achieve plenty of density. Rittenhouse really is in the center of downtown though. You really can't get closer to your job as CFO of 'whatever' corp than a 2-block walk, right through one of the nation's nicest public squares. Unless of course you happen to live in the same building complex, like Liberty One and Two:

Liberty One and Two, Center City Philly (http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagicdigital/5809912751/ - broken link) by imagic digital (http://www.flickr.com/people/imagicdigital/ - broken link), on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldojernkins View Post
Yeah, but you're ignoring the fact that SF has very high densities in plenty of nice neighborhoods adjacent to downtown as well: Union Square, North Beach, Nob Hill, etc.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:58 PM

381 posts, read 861,887 times
Quote:
No I'm not ignoring it. I give SF plenty of props and I'm sure those neighborhoods achieve plenty of density. Rittenhouse really is in the center of downtown though. You really can't get closer to your job as CFO of 'whatever' corp than a 2-block walk, right through one of the nation's nicest public squares. Unless of course you happen to live in the same building complex, like Liberty One and Two:

Liberty One and Two, Center City Philly (http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagicdigital/5809912751/ - broken link) by imagic digital (http://www.flickr.com/people/imagicdigital/ - broken link), on Flickr
I agree with you abotu Rittenhouse - but Union Square is in the center of downtown SF as well, and it's very upscale, bustling, and dense.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:16 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

... seriously? You choose THIS view of Daly City? You almost had to cherry-pick that.

daly city, ca - Google Maps

Old 08-03-2011, 09:08 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:

Great panoramas by the way, really nice, I checked out 8 or 10 of them, but came to the same conclusion. Even looking at the picture you just posted. Its just not that dense and lively. Look between the buildings, I see a whole lot of parking lots.

DT San Francisco just has more going on.

(these are my pictures from a few years ago out from the SF Hilton & Towers)

Last edited by slo1318; 08-03-2011 at 09:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City