Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 08:38 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Many folks consider race and poverty as an urban attribute. Dirt and grit is yet another. Then there is the fact that Philly is not too far from Wash/B'more and NYC (making it the center of a much more urban region). There's also the urban culture of Philly (ie, the urban music that comes from there). Bay area "urban music" (ie, E-40) just ain't the same.

Uh, what aint the same about it in terms of "urban culture"?

And the folks who consider race an urban attribute tend to be racists who want all of the people they consider to be undesirable to be contained in a little box that they have the balls to call an "ethnic enclave" as if it were a positive. God forbid if their cities were actually integrated.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:00 PM

292 posts, read 752,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Uh, what aint the same about it in terms of "urban culture"?

And the folks who consider race an urban attribute tend to be racists who want all of the people they consider to be undesirable to be contained in a little box that they have the balls to call an "ethnic enclave" as if it were a positive. God forbid if their cities were actually integrated.
Bay Area has a great hip-hop scene - I prefer it to Philly:

‪Zion I - The Bay‬‏ - YouTube

‪Hieroglyphics - Oakland Blackouts !‬‏ - YouTube

‪San Francisco Anthem‬‏ - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xckInIvVmOY

‪Golden State of Mind (Empire State of Mind Remix) by Armani Cooper & NEL

‪Who Is That by Krypto feat Husalah (animal rap)‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-08-2011, 09:09 PM

Ditto. I'd avoid posting youtube videos of rap though... that's a surefire way to get suspended.

I didn't know there was another Cousin Fik and Krypto fan on C-D lol.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:48 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times
Quote:
Ditto. I'd avoid posting youtube videos of rap though... that's a surefire way to get suspended.

I didn't know there was another Cousin Fik and Krypto fan on C-D lol.
why would posting youtube videos of rap get someone suspended? copyright issue? not trying to be a smart ass, honestly just wondering.

to the topic on hand though san fran doesn't even come close to philly in the hip hop scene. they aren't called the legendary roots crew because they're just ok. they are LEGENDARY. not to mention a whole bunch of lesser acts that could match what sf has to offer even disregarding the roots. beanie segal, freeway, cassidy, jedi mind tricks, bahamadia, reef, maylay sparks, etc etc etc

anyway i think this is just barely relevant to a discussion of which city is more urban... but i guess it is the 69th page of this thread so i guess i'm just impressed by the fact that we're still reasonably on topic here.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:55 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
no love for chiddy bang?

‪Chiddy Bang - Truth‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-08-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
why would posting youtube videos of rap get someone suspended? copyright issue? not trying to be a smart ass, honestly just wondering.

to the topic on hand though san fran doesn't even come close to philly in the hip hop scene. they aren't called the legendary roots crew because they're just ok. they are LEGENDARY. not to mention a whole bunch of lesser acts that could match what sf has to offer even disregarding the roots. beanie segal, freeway, cassidy, jedi mind tricks, bahamadia, reef, maylay sparks, etc etc etc

anyway i think this is just barely relevant to a discussion of which city is more urban... but i guess it is the 69th page of this thread so i guess i'm just impressed by the fact that we're still reasonably on topic here.

This site wants to maintain its "PG13" rating and by this site's standards, rap doesn't make the cut.

As for rap... lol, I'll leave it at that they're two completely different scenes. You don't listen to Bay rap for the same reason you listen to Philly rap and vice versa. You might want to retract that Freeway example though since he absolutely loves the Bay scene and works with tons of Bay rappers (and is actually in the process of putting out an album with one) lol.

The bay has its own legends... if you don't like west coast music though then you probably won't like them. Spice 1, Too $hort, etc. are all among the most respected west coast rappers but they typically don't have a large east coast following.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post

Chiddy Bang is crazy for that 9 hour freestyle... I watched an hour of that at the 8 hour mark and it still made sense and flowed.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:08 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times
Quote:
This site wants to maintain its "PG13" rating and by this site's standards, rap doesn't make the cut.

As for rap... lol, I'll leave it at that they're two completely different scenes. You don't listen to Bay rap for the same reason you listen to Philly rap and vice versa. You might want to retract that Freeway example though since he absolutely loves the Bay scene and works with tons of Bay rappers (and is actually in the process of putting out an album with one) lol.

The bay has its own legends... if you don't like west coast music though then you probably won't like them. Spice 1, Too $hort, etc. are all among the most respected west coast rappers but they typically don't have a large east coast following.

he is still from philly and still lives here. he is absolutely a philly rapper even if he a prefers a more west coast style. philly's hip hop scene is anything if not diverse as all hell.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:16 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
too $hort is awesome

Old 08-08-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
he is still from philly and still lives here. he is absolutely a philly rapper even if he a prefers a more west coast style. philly's hip hop scene is anything if not diverse as all hell.

I wasn't saying he wasn't, I was making the point that not everybody in Philly thinks they're superior to the Bay

Honestly though, I'm willing to go out on a limb and say the Bay is a lot deeper than you probably think it is. You can find literally anything... judging from the Philly rappers you just mentioned, you would probably like Bay rappers like Ya Boy, Young Gully, Taj-He-Spitz, Locksmith, The Jacka, Johnny Ca$h (RIP), Chris The 5th, Da Vinci, Casual (of Hiero), etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City