Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 05:23 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Because quanitity is not the only important factor, quality matters.

Uh... not for the purposes of this thread it doesn't. The thread asked which city has the largest amount of rowhouses, and Chicago has its fair share. Whether you feel the quality is up to your standards is completely off-topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 05:42 PM

688 posts, read 652,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
You are entitled to your opinion. It does not mirror the definition of a rowhouse, however, particularly with regard to the configuration comprising an entire city block. That said, no photos I posted showed less than 5 attached homes within the scope of the picture.
I was referring to this post, by you in response to Billiam's examples of what rowhouses (post 81) are not:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
You'd be wrong as those photos are indeed rowhouses.

duplex house
noun
a house having separate apartments for two families, especially a two-story house having a complete apartment on each floor and two separate entrances.

row house
noun
1. one of a row of houses having uniform, or nearly uniform, plans and fenestration and usually having a uniform architectural treatment, as in certain housing developments.
2. a house having at least one side wall in common with a neighboring dwelling.

(credit: Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com)

Just in case this isn't clear, here's a picture of a duplex in Baltimore:

All sizes | duplex | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sidereal/2756186717/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)
I was just using your example of a duplex to try and illustrate what I would consider a rowhouse. In regard to rowhouses preferably being the length of city block, that just is a plus for aesthetic reasons, imho, and certainly not a requisite for rowhouses in general.

Btw, Billiam's examples of what are not rowhouses violate part 2 of the definition in your post as to what a rowhouse is. I guess I'm not following... No biggie.

Last edited by CDJD; 08-08-2011 at 05:51 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 05:59 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
I was just using your example of a duplex to try and illustrate what I would consider a rowhouse. I guess I'm not following... No biggie.
Good grief - I have no idea how this got so complicated. I think we agree. A rowhouse and duplex are two different things. The ONLY picture of a duplex I have posted in this thread was in in Post 83 to specifically illustrate that point.

Billam may think some other pictures I posted elsewhere in this thread were NOT rowhouses. That's his matter to ponder.

I truly don't have any interest in being the the keeper of rowhouse nomenclature policy.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:05 PM

^ Did you just emoticon me to "talk to the hand?"

Old 08-08-2011, 06:18 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Hm...im not quite understanding the difference between a rowhouse and a duplex then. Ive been brought up taught that a duplex was "a house with two units sharing a common wall" and that a rowhouse was "a house that is one of a row of identical houses situated side by side and sharing common walls". Meaning, 3 makes a row at least. 2 makes a duplex.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:19 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Hm...im not quite understanding the difference between a rowhouse and a duplex then. Ive been brought up taught that a duplex was "a house with two units sharing a common wall" and that a rowhouse was "a house that is one of a row of identical houses situated side by side and sharing common walls". Meaning, 3 makes a row at least. 2 makes a duplex.

What made you think the Chicago examples were not rows?

Old 08-08-2011, 08:46 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
^ Did you just emoticon me to "talk to the hand?"
No - just waving "bye" ( I'm pretty much done with this thread).

Old 08-08-2011, 09:03 PM

^ Oh. That's the "talk to the hand" emoticon on my Blackberry, that's why I thought that. I was half joking by saying that anyway. Good day!

Old 08-09-2011, 12:18 AM

27 posts, read 50,183 times
Philadelphia is the urban row capital of the nation.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:22 AM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
no most of the housing stock in Philly and Baltimore are Rowhomes, however in Chicago the 75% of town that is decent doesnt have rowhomes.
The most rowhomes aren't on the South Side...(which isn't a universal slum btw). Most are in the older areas on the North and West sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City