Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most virant restaurant/food scene as of summer 2011
Boston 1 0.81%
Chicago 19 15.32%
Dallas 2 1.61%
D.C. 5 4.03%
Los Angeles 11 8.87%
Miami 3 2.42%
New Orleans 9 7.26%
New York 45 36.29%
Philadelphia 13 10.48%
San Francisco 16 12.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:33 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteriousRegion View Post
You just hate NYC. What did we ever do to you? Have you even ever ate at NYC? Please provide a list of where you ate....
I don't hate NYC at all, it's a grand city. I just don't think it's the best of everything, which you seem to equate with hatred. How mature.

I don't feel like listing where I ate there.

Besides, you've never been out here, how would you know?

Quote:
SF Chinese food is too overrated. It's too Americanized. The stuff we get over here is the stuff Chinese people actually eat back in China, not General Tso's chicken or chop suey.
That is patently idiotic. There is a plethora of authentic Chinese food out here, much of which I think is disgusting - I'm American. This isn't China. However, we are much closer to China geographically and culturally than NYC.

Here you go again, Pollster, with your flopping back and forth between whether things are "too American" or "not American enough."

Quote:
Has anyone from the West Coast actually ever eaten in Flushing? You guys don't corner the Asian market anymore Some of the BEST Korean and Indian food can be found in NYC.
Yeah, we do still corner it. Get over it. Better yet, by a plane ticket out here and school yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 06:34 PM

33 posts, read 43,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Actually, I just ate in Flushing two days ago at this joint called Green Papaya Thai Cuisine. It was good. However, I've had better here in the Bay (see Soi 4 in Oakland and other sundry places throughout the peninsula).

And if you want non-americanized chinese food then go to Fremont, Cupertino, Oakland's Chinatown, authentic chinese places in SF's Chinatown, etc.
I havent eaten at a pho place in SF that was as good as Pho Bang here, or as good of a Chinese place like Golden Palace or Fu Run.

Maybe I was eating in all the wrong areas, but I felt that the Chinese food there was a bit reminiscent of a suburban-mall style Mongolian wok place. I'm not saying its bad, but its not what I look for in Chinese food.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:34 PM

27 posts, read 50,183 times
ATM I am from san Francisco and I lived my teen years in Philadelphia. Even though I've been in the airforce and out in the middle of the pacific for over 3 years. Philadelphia just is a great food city. Even my f15 blue angel crew knows that. We actually docked on the Delaware river, we got off to watch the Phillies giants game and we went to a nice place called Play 2. Man I miss Philly. Hopefully when I get off the carrier for good, I will move to Philly to start my career.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:35 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
I see that Le Bec Fin is currently without rating, based on their 2009 remodel plans or whatever. They have an excellent chance of earning 5 stars again if they stay open. Agreed all those other restaurants deserve consideration, and Talula's garden, too.

A real Philly sleeper that recently opened is 'Gemelli on Main' in Manayunk, went there last week. French influenced Italian, but that's not nearly specific enough, apparently Their sommelier pegged the style as reminiscent of the style of cuisine you get in the Nimes, France, and in general near the border of France and Italy along the Mediterranean,. Danya's write-up will be ready tomorrow and I'll post a link to it, but the experience was sublime, especially the wine pairings. Because of the location, 4 stars might be hard for them to come by but it's the single best thing in Manayunk. Now Open: Gemelli On Main In Manayunk, A New Italian Restaurant Featuring A Second-Story Bar, Handmade Pasta And More | Uwishunu - Philadelphia Blog About Things to Do, Events, Restaurants, Food, Nightlife and More
Eh need to check it out, hardly ever in the yunk these days.

BTW am back at Talulas this Thursday - change of plans was going to go to the new place in headhouse.

But one thing on the topic - best food isnt always the most vibrant

Old 08-08-2011, 06:36 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
Interesting broadside against New York. Agreed on the Mexican front. Philly has Las Bougabilias (one of my faves), Tequila's, Lolita, Xochitl and Paloma on the high-end. El Vez for the Starr-ified take of Mexican, too. I forgot Indian food was good in Boston, but now I remember! I've gotta get to L.A. if that's where Pad Thai heaven can be found. Philly does great on the Mediterranian tip, and obviously never has to worry about its Italian credentials, either. Every one of these categories has been disappointing in NY.

A pastrami sandwich at Katz's, on the other hand, is untouchable. Pinnacle dining experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yeah, my list overall would be something like this:

- SF
- LA/Boston tie (Boston for Italian, Middle Eastern; LA for Mexican, Asian)
- NYC
- whatever else, you guys duke it out for #5.

I'm also not jumping on the "NYC is #1" bandwagon here; from the time I lived there, I had absolutely NO good Mexican food, the Chinese wasn't anywhere close to SF's, the Thai wasn't anywhere good as LA's, Indian wasn't as good as Boston's and neither was the falafel/mediterranean (though both cities have it better than SF/LA). There's more of an abundance of good Italian in NYC as well as Boston, but the top-tier Italian in SF is better than the top-tier over there (probably due in part to the fact that basically everything used to make it was picked from a field a few days earlier, somewhere within a 75-mile radius). NYC does have infinitely better delis on the whole - the vast majority of sandwiches I've gotten out west have been blah. Organic/"healthy" food in NYC and Boston are often freakin' horrifyingly bad from my experience, whereas you can actually get cravings for it out here.

Pizza is, in my mind, separate from Italian - pizza is something you specifically call to order, specifically go out for, or what you bought for a buck twenty five at the place down the street from your school. You don't say to your girlfriend, "hey, let's get Italian!" and go order a pizza; you get pasta. You don't say to your bros, "hey, let's order pizza!" and get pasta. I prefer Chicago deep dish and Boston street pizza to NYC's even if it was made there.

I know I'm going against the grain with this statement and will probably catch hell for it, but these are just my personal observations and opinions. At the end of the day, I don't care how many places in NYC that some limp-wristed food nazi dropped $300 at. To me, that's less a measure of a city's cuisine than the quality of what you can get for the shrapnel in your pocket

Old 08-08-2011, 06:37 PM

292 posts, read 752,438 times
Quote:
You just hate NYC. What did we ever do to you? Have you even ever ate at NYC? Please provide a list of where you ate....

SF Chinese food is too overrated. It's too Americanized. The stuff we get over here is the stuff Chinese people actually eat back in China, not General Tso's chicken or chop suey.

Has anyone from the West Coast actually ever eaten in Flushing? You guys don't corner the Asian market anymore Some of the BEST Korean and Indian food can be found in NYC.
What are you talking about? Chinatown in SF has tons and tons of hole-in-the-wall incredibly authentic Chinese restaurants where the menus are all in Chinese and you will likely be the only non-Asian in the room. NYC does as well - but to say Chinese food in SF is too Americanzied is ridiculous.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I havent eaten at a pho place in SF that was as good as Pho Bang here, or as good of a Chinese place like Golden Palace or Fu Run.

Maybe I was eating in all the wrong areas, but I felt that the Chinese food there was a bit reminiscent of a suburban-mall style Mongolian wok place. I'm not saying its bad, but its not what I look for in Chinese food.
You've never been here, Pollster. You admitted it. Besides, the fact you're equating it with Panda Express means that you're talking out of the same hole you defecate with.

For the record: Pho Clement, Vietnam Restaurant, House Of Nanking, Snow Garden, Golden Lotus (Oakland), just a few that are better than anything you've ever had in your life.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:43 PM

46 posts, read 51,863 times
Quote:

- SF
- NYC

I'm also not jumping on the "NYC is #1" bandwagon here; from the time I lived there, I had absolutely NO good Mexican food, the Chinese wasn't anywhere close to SF's, the Thai wasn't anywhere good as LA's, Indian wasn't as good as Boston's and neither was the falafel/mediterranean (though both cities have it better than SF/LA). There's more of an abundance of good Italian in NYC as well as Boston, but the top-tier Italian in SF is better than the top-tier over there (probably due in part to the fact that basically everything used to make it was picked from a field a few days earlier, somewhere within a 75-mile radius). NYC does have infinitely better delis on the whole - the vast majority of sandwiches I've gotten out west have been blah. Organic/"healthy" food in NYC and Boston are often freakin' horrifyingly bad from my experience, whereas you can actually get cravings for it out here.

Pizza is, in my mind, separate from Italian - pizza is something you specifically call to order, specifically go out for, or what you bought for a buck twenty five at the place down the street from your school. You don't say to your girlfriend, "hey, let's get Italian!" and go order a pizza; you get pasta. You don't say to your bros, "hey, let's order pizza!" and get pasta. I prefer Chicago deep dish and Boston street pizza to NYC's even if it was made there.

I know I'm going against the grain with this statement and will probably catch hell for it, but these are just my personal observations and opinions. At the end of the day, I don't care how many places in NYC that some limp-wristed food nazi dropped $300 at. To me, that's less a measure of a city's cuisine than the quality of what you can get for the shrapnel in your pocket
Wake us up when those cities have Italian food (which coincidentally, is by far the most popular "ethnic" food according to polling) that can compare to what you will find in New York City. Wake us up when those locales match New York's French culinary scene. There are simply more popular, refined and satisfying choices of cuisine than greasy bean burritos and Chinese food.

You simply have an inferiority complex with anything New York City which I find so tiring. I find very hard to believe that there are somehow no Asian or Indian restaurants in an extremely diverse city of 8,000,000+ yet somehow Boston and San Francisco, cities of 500,000-800,000, are busting through their seams of such options.

Not only is New York continually ranked the best city at the top and mid range by monied "limp wristed" experts (good one, homopohobe ), New York City is without compare in the low-range as well. Such is the result of being a city bustling with diversity and prestige which will always attract exceptional food and global culinary elite who will continuously seal and ensure New York's position as U.S.'s top food city.

Last edited by andover11; 08-08-2011 at 06:56 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 06:44 PM

27 posts, read 50,183 times
Quote:

- SF
- NYC

I never understood your post but how could you put Boston above Philly? I know your going blab about rankings but rankings never rank Philly for anything positive and never will. It will always rank every city in the east coast then remotely skip Philly. You may never eaten there but once you do, you joint will list haha

Old 08-08-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Interesting broadside against New York. Agreed on the Mexican front. Philly has Las Bougabilias (one of my faves), Tequila's, Lolita, Xochitl and Paloma on the high-end. El Vez for the Starr-ified take of Mexican, too. I forgot Indian food was good in Boston, but now I remember! I've gotta get to L.A. if that's where Pad Thai heaven can be found. Philly does great on the Mediterranian tip, and obviously never has to worry about its Italian credentials, either. Every one of these categories has been disappointing in NY.

A pastrami sandwich at Katz's, on the other hand, is untouchable. Pinnacle dining experience.
Yeah, I've been to Philly before but only in blocks of a couple days, so I don't feel like I'm really at liberty to place the rankings honestly. FWIW, my parents (in Boston) have been there a lot and love it; they keep telling me I need to go there because I'll love it, though it may just be a ploy to get me back on the East Coast

I've had so, so, SO much good Thai in LA that it's tough to keep track of names. There's a Thai Town in LA, and there are some good restaurants along that strip (a few of which are 24 hours, or at least, were when I lived there last!). There are also a couple amazing Singaporean places - one called Singapore's Banana Leaf, the other called Singapore Express - which are awesome. Mostly the same as Thai, but slight recipe variances.

Up here in SF, we have a few Burmese places - Mandalay is my favorite, but Burma Superstar is the most well known and is great too. Same deal... a lot of the food in that region is similar to Thai. There is some really good Cambodian in Oakland, off of International; I used to live a few blocks from a Cambodian grocer that had homemade dishes that were pretty good. Greasy as all hell, but good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City