Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:57 PM

800 posts, read 780,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
For college sports "The South" seems like the best place. Sec fans are by far the best to me. Being that Atlanta is the Capitol of the South I think one could definitely make a good argument that Atlanta might be the best big city for college sports fans. Lots of Georgia Bulldog fans, lots of SEC fans, the ACC school of Georgia Tech is right there in Atlanta, and you have lots of big games at the Georgia Dome like the SEC Championship which has turned out to be the real National Championship game it seems. Also, the Atlanta Falcons are red hot right now. The Georgia Dome was nothing but a packed sea of red last year. The Georgia Dome might have been the loudest place in the NFL last year. So I would not say that Atlanta people care way more about college football than they do the Falcons. I think that the Falcons have really closed the gap. So even though Atlanta might always be a college football town at heart, I feel like the Atlanta Falcons have done a great job closing the gap.

I completely agree that Atlanta is the best college sports city.

But how are SEC fans by far the best? I'd put them up against Big Ten fans any day.

As far as college basketball is concerned it really depends on the state, spend some time in Indiana, Kentucky, or Kansas and you'll see that its still huge.

Though I really hoping Coach Wilson can build IU's football program I've always been more of a football person
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 10:08 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
Austin sucks. The fans go to the game expecting to win and sit on their hands. It's one of the least enthusiastic crowds I've seen. Folks in Austin need to go to Baton Rouge on a Saturday night to see how to create a homefield advantage. And for the record, I'm not an SEC or Sooner fan...just stating facts.
That doesn't sound right. I'm guessing either you went there last season when there wasn't much to cheer about, or you're one of those fanatics who shoot at people not wearing your team's jersey and think anything less than that isn't being a "real" fan....

Old 08-17-2011, 10:37 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
No offense but I laughed at Kansas City being mentioned. I've never heard anyone say such a thing. Again, no offense to the guy or the city, but there's no way it's a top city that supports college sports.
you have got to be kidding me. It's one of the things that drives me nuts about KC. The people there are obsessed with college sports. I don't give a rip about college sports, but trust me, they are huge in KC. Mostly big 12 teams.

Lawrence is practically a suburb of KC. The city is a huge college basketball town, HUGE. The city also host many big football games. But mostly people just talk about college sports there nonstop, 365 days a year and they wear college clothing everywhere they go. I would say on a percentage basis, KC is way more into college sports than a city like Atlanta. Atlanta is a bigger metro and they have many fans, but on a percent of population, it has to be lower than KC.

I would say that OKC, Austin and maybe Columbus are the top ones though.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:54 PM

635 posts, read 1,509,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
you have got to be kidding me. It's one of the things that drives me nuts about KC. The people there are obsessed with college sports. I don't give a rip about college sports, but trust me, they are huge in KC. Mostly big 12 teams.

Lawrence is practically a suburb of KC. The city is a huge college basketball town, HUGE. The city also host many big football games. But mostly people just talk about college sports there nonstop, 365 days a year and they wear college clothing everywhere they go. I would say on a percentage basis, KC is way more into college sports than a city like Atlanta. Atlanta is a bigger metro and they have many fans, but on a percent of population, it has to be lower than KC.

I would say that OKC, Austin and maybe Columbus are the top ones though.
You have no idea when it comes to Atlanta, it truly cannot be explained college football is life in georgia. UGA & GT are like heaven (UGA) and hell (GT) for in my opinion. But I'll take GT over any other team If I'm watching a game with them in it. It's a love hate relationship.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:00 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
That doesn't sound right. I'm guessing either you went there last season when there wasn't much to cheer about, or you're one of those fanatics who shoot at people not wearing your team's jersey and think anything less than that isn't being a "real" fan....

Now this statement in and of itself makes me question a fanbase

Sounds like the equivelenet of Cowboy fan in the NFL

Old 08-17-2011, 11:58 PM

200 posts, read 294,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

I agree here. Even though they have one of the biggest football venues, I wouldn't list it in the top ten compared to what the SEC and Big 10 has to offer for a gameday experience.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:13 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

DKR could be packed with over 100,000 at the start of the game. But when your team's getting beat down AT HOME (which happened more than once for the Longhorns) you're gonna have fans quiet and leaving the stadium early.

Now really, you can be the biggest fan in the world, but even the most avid supporter will not be excited about a sub .500 season.

And there are several REAL Cowboys fans who support the team no matter what. Problem is, there are too many bandwagoners to change your mind.... and you're an Eagles fan.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
DKR could be packed with over 100,000 at the start of the game. But when your team's getting beat down AT HOME (which happened more than once for the Longhorns) you're gonna have fans quiet and leaving the stadium early.

Now really, you can be the biggest fan in the world, but even the most avid supporter will not be excited about a sub .500 season.

And there are several REAL Cowboys fans who support the team no matter what. Problem is, there are too many bandwagoners to change your mind.... and you're an Eagles fan.

I went to PSU and still go to games, understand a 110K football stadium well. I have never been to UT to see a game so cant comment on my own personal experiences though do know that many schools (including PSU) can have a lot of energy and support regardless of the score. I also dont think the ferver of college fans is the same as Eagles or even Steelers fans in my home State and PSU is huge by any stretch.

Yes, a PROUD Eagles and PSU fan for that matter

Penn State Takes the Field - YouTube

Old 08-18-2011, 08:44 AM
pth

274 posts, read 458,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Nobody really cares about college basketball anymore. It's all about college football.
depends on what part of the country you're in. for example..im in north carolina. Folks love college football here but college basketball gets as much or more press

Old 08-18-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pth View Post
depends on what part of the country you're in. for example..im in north carolina. Folks love college football here but college basketball gets as much or more press

I agree; in Philly Basketball (Big 5) is still very large; is shame in many ways wish Temple would do better in football but overall Football is larger country wide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City