Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 03:04 PM

291 posts, read 688,819 times

Advertisements

For college sports "The South" seems like the best place. Sec fans are by far the best to me. Being that Atlanta is the Capitol of the South I think one could definitely make a good argument that Atlanta might be the best big city for college sports fans. Lots of Georgia Bulldog fans, lots of SEC fans, the ACC school of Georgia Tech is right there in Atlanta, and you have lots of big games at the Georgia Dome like the SEC Championship which has turned out to be the real National Championship game it seems. Also, the Atlanta Falcons are red hot right now. The Georgia Dome was nothing but a packed sea of red last year. The Georgia Dome might have been the loudest place in the NFL last year. So I would not say that Atlanta people care way more about college football than they do the Falcons. I think that the Falcons have really closed the gap. So even though Atlanta might always be a college football town at heart, I feel like the Atlanta Falcons have done a great job closing the gap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 03:19 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,821 times
Dick Vitale just called us the best sports fans in the nation here in Lexington, KY.

It's a sea of blue and white that's 300,000 strong!

Old 08-17-2011, 04:31 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,915 times
No offense but I laughed at Kansas City being mentioned. I've never heard anyone say such a thing. Again, no offense to the guy or the city, but there's no way it's a top city that supports college sports.

I'd have to go with the cities that surround themselves around the school and teams. Austin, TX...Columbus, OH.....Lexington, KY....Raleigh-Durham, NC....(probably a few others that I'm missing but you get the point)

With each of those cities that I listed, once you get off the airplane and hit the city you KNOW you're in Longhorn country, Buckeye country, Wildcat country, Tarheel country..and so on and so on. Pretty much, the best college supporting cities of teams are the cities you wouldn't dare wear the colors of their rival school at.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:52 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Best - Atlanta and other southern metros including Texas cities
Worst - Northeast cities

Old 08-17-2011, 05:47 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,190,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yawn.
Are you at DK Royal Memorial staidum right now?

Old 08-17-2011, 05:56 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
You may even be able to throw Chicago in there as similar to Atlanta. Chicago is sort of like the Mecca of the Big Ten. I feel when people graduate from schools like Purdue, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, etc, a great deal of graduates move to Chicago since it's the most major city of the region. I may be off, but I had three friends go to Big Ten schools...two of them moved to Chicago, and when the other goes to visit his old college buddies, he goes to Chicago.

Can any Big Tenners out there confirm or deny this? FWIW, I think the more Eastern schools of the Big Ten like Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State don't necessarily follow this trend as much as the Western Big Ten schools.

P.S. If this is true, I wonder if this will result in a greater influx of Nebraska graduates into Chicago now that they're part of the Big Ten.
Thomas, you should know that your suspicions are correct! However, most of the graduates of Big Ten schools live in/and or around Lakeview/Wrigleyville and Lincoln Park. If you ever get the chance to take the Red Line North towards Howard (and Skokie ) you'll see tons of Flags hanging on balconies from schools like Iowa, Wisconsin, Tennessee (not sure why that one comes to mind, I just remember seeing a few of them), and Illinois.

I wouldn't necessarily say that there aren't a lot of Michigan alumni in Chicago, as I spot a lot of plates with the Alumni decal, in addition to bumper/window stickers.

I don't know if we'll see an influx of Nebraskans to Chicago now that they're in the Big Ten. It's quite possible, but I feel like a lot of them would head West to California or South to Texas before East to Chicago.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:39 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
Are we talking "big cities" or "big college towns"? I mean, it's not a surprise that Austin would revolve around UT, or Columbus would revolve around OSU, or Madison would revolve around Wisky.

I am admittedly biased (UCLA season ticket holder), but L.A. is a very good college sports town with USC and UCLA. When both USC and UCLA are playing at home on the same day, you generally have 150K+ people at the Coliseum and Rose Bowl watching football. It helps that there is no NFL here.

Other large cities/metros that are into the college game (in my mind) are Atlanta and Seattle.

The worst college sports large cities are in the Northeast. NYC and Boston are not good college sports cities. They are Pro sports towns all the way.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:52 PM

345 posts, read 833,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I agree I was probably a bit harsh in my response...however I still don't think KC is anywhere near Atlanta. Atlanta is a far larger city, with more major colleges in the area. Yes Atlanta is football-centric, but so is this country. Nobody really cares about college basketball anymore. It's all about college football.
Ya its true, America is all football. And ya basketball is not as hyped up about as it once was.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:46 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Thomas, you should know that your suspicions are correct! However, most of the graduates of Big Ten schools live in/and or around Lakeview/Wrigleyville and Lincoln Park. If you ever get the chance to take the Red Line North towards Howard (and Skokie ) you'll see tons of Flags hanging on balconies from schools like Iowa, Wisconsin, Tennessee (not sure why that one comes to mind, I just remember seeing a few of them), and Illinois.

I wouldn't necessarily say that there aren't a lot of Michigan alumni in Chicago, as I spot a lot of plates with the Alumni decal, in addition to bumper/window stickers.
I'm glad to hear it! I do plan on hitting the Northside of Chicago on my next visit (though it may not be for another couple years)! I've never heard anything but great stuff about the area, so it's definitely on my to-do list.

Quote:
I don't know if we'll see an influx of Nebraskans to Chicago now that they're in the Big Ten. It's quite possible, but I feel like a lot of them would head West to California or South to Texas before East to Chicago.
Well I mean...it's almost impossible to tell the difference between Nebraska and Chicago, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of Big Red in Chicago in the near future!

Old 08-17-2011, 09:53 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City