Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minneapolis or Austin
Minneapolis 168 67.47%
Austin 81 32.53%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:46 PM

431 posts, read 929,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
THANK YOU! I don't know how to compare the nightlifes between Austin and Minneapolis because to me, they are a completely different experience. 6th St. is absolutely SLAMMING on weekends but 1st Ave/Hennipen Ave can be super busy too (not as much though). I'm wondering how you compare the two.....if you came on a busy weekend in the summer you may know what I'm talking about, but if you came during the winter or some other slow time you may think my comparison is way off base. BOTH cities' nightlifes threw me for a loop as I was NOT expecting as much activity as what I saw the first time I visited each one!
In fact I did come on a busy night during the summer. It was rather packed and yes a I was surprised. Now I've been to Austin tons of times " Being from San Antonio" So I'm more in the know and know what to Expect from Austin. Minneapolis only been once for a 5 day trip. But every night we went out and had a good time. A lot of actvity down in Minneapolis. I've seen better of course, but it was a lot better thanI was expecting. I though Minneapolis would be comparable to a place like Charlotte. But it was far better.

We stayed at the W Foshay so we even had a decent Bar right there on the first level. Not to mention drinking before a Twins game and after. It's all right there in the same area.

Austins nightlife is known and expected, heck it's one of the main things Austin has to brag about. Minneapolis is known for other things, but that's not to say they don't know how to have a good time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 09:00 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Side_TX View Post
I though Minneapolis would be comparable to a place like Charlotte. But it was far better.
I agree. I'm from Charlotte and now live in Minneapolis. Downtown Minneapolis is several times better than uptown Charlotte.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:11 PM

9 posts, read 19,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
-skyline Austin
-architecture Austin
Huh? Have you ever been to either city? I know this is your opinion, but with all due respect, I think one couldn't be further off in his or her assessment of what makes for an impressive (or better) skyline and architecture.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,941 times
funny... i thought comparing the two was completely unfair for austin. and then its a little strange match for both cities... they dont seem to be that much comparable to each other.

ive never been to minneapolis but even i would say that minneapolis is simply more established as a city then austin. austin is barely trying to catch up. after living there for about 13 years the only thing i would have said is better than minneapolis was its nightlife. the skyline is also a laughable mismatch but im crossing my fingers that austin gets all those buildings built. if so, then austin is in business

Old 08-27-2011, 10:03 AM

815 posts, read 1,857,237 times
Going to have to go with Minneapolis here...

While I think Dallas and Houston are both currently a bit ahead of Minneapolis overall in aspects, those are the cities that are a better comparison. Minneapolis punches above it's wait even if Dallas/Houston beats it in raw #'s. Minneapolis is pretty much a rout against Austin.

Dallas/Houston
-
Minneapolis
-
-
-
Austin

Minneapolis wins every category listed, but it isn't really a fair comparison.

As far as yuppiefied and liberal...not so sure about that. I think Austin tries to be the anti-yuppie place, they are more progressive lefty pseudo hippie/hipster that seem to flock there. Minneapolis is more middle of the road.'

While Austin is definitely more than a college town, it is still not really a "major city" either in my opinion. Minneapolis is and feels like it. Austin has an ethos about it like it doesn't want to be a major city.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:25 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Probably meaning that Minneapolis and Austin are both very liberal bastions in comparatively conservative states. Although Texas as is whole is far more conservative than Minnesota, Michele Bachmann represents the northern suburbs whereas Keith Ellison represent North Minneapolis. That's about as politically disparate as you can get.

Uhhh, no, Austin is not even the most liberal city in Texas, so Minneapolis is more liberal, if that is your thing

That being said, while Minneapolis is a nice city, I would go with Austin. Feels like a much smaller Houston or Dallas and that is a good thing.

Also, those winters up there are harsh, too much for me to live in full time

Old 08-29-2011, 06:19 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid10 View Post
Huh? Have you ever been to either city? I know this is your opinion, but with all due respect, I think one couldn't be further off in his or her assessment of what makes for an impressive (or better) skyline and architecture.
This is my opinion. I never stated it as fact.

I've lived in Minneapolis, and drove thorugh Austin. Austins skyline is just better to me.

As for achitecture, i think Austin has great looking buildings. Not that MPLS doesn't.

Last edited by Mezter; 08-29-2011 at 06:39 PM..

Old 08-30-2011, 01:02 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Feels like a much smaller Houston or Dallas and that is a good thing.
I've lived in Houston for about 8 years, in DFW for 4 years and 12.5 in Austin. Austin doesn't feel like either cities in any way except for the sprawling outside of downtown. I don't know how you're coming up with this. There may be pockets in Houston here and there that feel like the same quirkiness you find in Austin, but that's it. Nothing else comparable really, unless I'm missing something.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:41 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
I've lived in Houston for about 8 years, in DFW for 4 years and 12.5 in Austin. Austin doesn't feel like either cities in any way except for the sprawling outside of downtown. I don't know how you're coming up with this. There may be pockets in Houston here and there that feel like the same quirkiness you find in Austin, but that's it. Nothing else comparable really, unless I'm missing something.
Don't act insulted, its not like being like Houston or Dallas is a bad thing

The people are mostly the same, the culture of Austin is very similar to that of the other 2, the vibe you get in each is similar, reliance and emphasis on auto etc.The only real differences are much less diversity in Austin and much less high end culture.

Don't know why Austin tries so hard to act like it is nothing like other cities in Texas when it is very Texan through and through

Old 08-30-2011, 04:48 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Don't act insulted, its not like being like Houston or Dallas is a bad thing

The people are mostly the same, the culture of Austin is very similar to that of the other 2, the vibe you get in each is similar, reliance and emphasis on auto etc.The only real differences are much less diversity in Austin and much less high end culture.

Don't know why Austin tries so hard to act like it is nothing like other cities in Texas when it is very Texan through and through
As an outsider, I've been to both Austin and Dallas. I can't say I saw many similarities between the two cities. Very different downtowns, topography, and dynamic. I think Dallas is far more entrepreneuial, and Austin is more collegiate and musical. Yes Austin is very Texan as is Dallas and I can't speak for Houston, but other than suburbs what do you feel are similar between Austin and Dallas?

In relation to topic, I actually prefer Austin's skyline to Minneapolis, but by a slim margin as Minne's skyline is certainly better than average. I just like the different dimensions and colors in Austins buildings, and it illuminates nicely at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City