Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle or Toronto
Seattle 79 44.89%
Toronto 97 55.11%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 12:29 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Occassionally I visit friends in Toronto and honestly 'top cities in the world' never comes to mind. I enjoy Toronto but when I think of top cities of the world I think of London, New York, Paris, Hong Kong or Tokyo. Great city but one of the world's top cities is a bit much imo.
No Tornto is not one of the predominant cities in the world. To most people in the world Toronto is pretty irrevelant. More people have heard of Sydney, and Sydney ranks higher in the global index of cities than Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 07:58 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Wow this is still pretty close!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
I voted for Toronto. It's quite possibly the best city in the world. I just loved it! Imagine New York City, but safer, cleaner, arguably more diverse, and friendlier, plus, less crowded. Seattle is nice but can't compare.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:03 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I voted for Toronto. It's quite possibly the best city in the world. I just loved it! Imagine New York City, but safer, cleaner, arguably more diverse, and friendlier, plus, less crowded. Seattle is nice but can't compare.
Glad you enjoyed Toronto.. Few places in the western hemisphere are experiencing such growth and transformation.. Torontonians will look back on the 2000's and beyond very favourably for the city..

Old 08-06-2013, 11:28 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post

You may want to tap the brakes on that. Visit some more cities before making a proclamation like that...

Old 08-07-2013, 12:44 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
You may want to tap the brakes on that. Visit some more cities before making a proclamation like that...
lol and how do you know how many cities the guy has been to? Are you his Travel Agent? Perhaps he visited Toronto and got to know allll of its appealing parts. Which btw is a lot more than a growing skyline and yonge st...

Old 08-07-2013, 01:01 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
I just loved the city as a whole. It was vibrant and urban, but not filthy or grimy like many American cities, or cities elsewhere. Well, besides the summer of 2009 when there was a trash strike, but that was not the norm. Anyways, I found the people to be nice, and I thout the lake and the Toronto Islands were beautiful and nice. The food was good (best hot dogs I have ever eaten, and possibly the best Chinese food I have eaten too. Pretty darn good sushi too) and the city was very walkable, but not too crowded. I liked the architecture...I don't know, but something about it made me fall in love with Toronto. I can see myself living there.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:38 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,459,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

Economy: Toronto. It is the number 1 city in Canada for economy. Seattle has a pretty good economy but it does not make the top 5 in the USA and maybe not even the top 10. It does make the top 15 though.
That doesn't mean a thing. Though Toronto is significantly larger, it's GDP is only slightly above the ever growing Seattle GDP. Remember Canada is Smaller then California by Population. If the category was importance to the Countries Economy then yeah, it's a no brainier. But in terms of Health and Size, I think Seattle takes this one. A city of Toronto's size you would think it would be competing with Chicago. Great city though.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:09 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,268,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
That doesn't mean a thing. Though Toronto is significantly larger, it's GDP is only slightly above the ever growing Seattle GDP. Remember Canada is Smaller then California by Population. If the category was importance to the Countries Economy then yeah, it's a no brainier. But in terms of Health and Size, I think Seattle takes this one. A city of Toronto's size you would think it would be competing with Chicago. Great city though.
Be careful with the GDP stats.
US city GDP stats are good for comparing US cities but not so good when comparing
a US city with cities in other countries.

2 different countries, might to comparing apples to oranges.

Seattle GDP is for huge CSA
US CSA's are gigantic, Seattle's MSA is 5,872 square miles and it's CSA is almost 9,000 square miles.
Seattle population 3.5 million MSA, 4.4 million CSA.

Canada does not keep stats for equivalent to US city CSA.
GDP for Toronto quoted is for much smaller Canadian CMA.
The equivalent to CSA for Toronto would the Golden Horseshoe with total population approx. 8.9 million.
Not Toronto much smaller CMA with only 5.6 million.
Ontario estimated provincial GDP for 2013 is $ 673 billion of which I would estimate Toronto Golden Horseshoe would be about $ 500 billion.

Last edited by BMI; 08-07-2013 at 05:24 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 01:50 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
No Tornto is not one of the predominant cities in the world. To most people in the world Toronto is pretty irrevelant. More people have heard of Sydney, and Sydney ranks higher in the global index of cities than Toronto.
Sydney is quite small compared to Toronto. It's more like Montreal in size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City