Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Louisiana or South Carolina?
Louisiana 45 34.35%
South Carolina 86 65.65%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:52 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

The Louisiana vs Alabama thread was interesting. Since Alabama and South Carolina are similar in several respects, a Louisiana/South Carolina match-up could also be interesting. Compare the two in terms of cities, culture, education, economy, growth, recreation, politics, infrastructure, amenities, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 11:37 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
This is a tough one.

Cities- Louisiana slightly
Culture- Louisiana
Education- South Carolina
Economy- South Carolina
Growth- Tied
Recreation- Louisiana
Politics- Tied
Infrastructure- too close to call....maybe Louisiana slightly
Amenities- Louisiana slightly

Overall, I think it's too close to call but Louisiana may have a slight advantage in the above categories.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
This is a tough one.

Cities- Louisiana slightly
Culture- Louisiana
Education- South Carolina
Economy- South Carolina
Growth- Tied
Recreation- Louisiana
Politics- Tied
Infrastructure- too close to call....maybe Louisiana slightly
Amenities- Louisiana slightly

Overall, I think it's too close to call but Louisiana may have a slight advantage in the above categories.
The others I can see, but I don't really see giving recreation to Louisiana, mainly because SC has a bunch of beaches, the foothills of the Piedmont, and a small sliver of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The variety is greater in SC if anything.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:48 AM

367 posts, read 995,916 times
South Carolina. or Louisiana. Ummmmm I don't know,...good comparison

Cities- Outside of N.O,...I don't like any Louisiana cities Winner South Carolina for me,..I really enjoyed Myrtle Beach and Charleston is a nice city for its size

Culture- Louisiana Louisiana Louisiana

Education- Louisiana

Economy- Ummmmmm got to give it to Louisiana, For Now

Growth- Ummm no one really talks about South Carolina growth but the State is growing about as fast as Tennessee without a Nashville or a Memphis. That's respectable for a small state so im gonna give this one to South Carolina even though it's fast growth is under the radar. Louisiana on the other hand with it's legendary status you would think that's it's growing faster than it really is but in reality it's barely keeping up with Alabama....Winner South Carolina

Recreation- South Carolina,...has actual beaches and no oil spills washing ashore and plus, im not a big fan for bayou's or swamps

Politics- I hear more about Louisiana Politics. Before I Google I can't even name the governor of South Carolina (googling.....) Aw ok, its Nikki Haley

Infrastructure- Ummmm. I'd say Louisiana, the Feds didn't invest billions of dollars in Post Katrina New Orleans for Nothing,...and plus the fact that Louisiana has one of the largest ports in the US and the infrastructure surrounding that,..I cant think of anything in South Carolina that compares Winner L'etat de louisiane (Louisiana)

Amenities- Louisiana,...South Carolina cities are not big enough (yet) to offer the full range of amenities that a city person like me would like,...the nighlife the NFL the NBA nice shopping etc ...Winner L'etat de louisiane

Ummm overall I have a lot of respect for South Carolina even though some people in North Carolina see it as backwards. When it's cities get big enough I believe South Carolina is going to be a force to be reckoned with...it's just not there yet...Louisiana IS in the form of New Orleans, this is a tough one

I like New Orleans better than Any South Carolinian city yet I like South Carolina better as a state and plus it's close proximity to Charlotte and Atlanta yet Louisiana is close to Texas and Houston yet South Carolina has miles upon miles of Sandy Beaches I don't think Louisiana has many swimmable beaches, Yet Louisiana has the New Orleans Saints and NBA Pelicans,..Yet South Carolina has a promising future and is growing faster,...and doesn't have all that crime. Yet Louisiana has all that culture.....whew tough one but until South Carolina gets bigger Im gonna go with L'etat de Louisiane for now,..My vote is Louisiana

Last edited by SteveTime; 09-14-2013 at 10:19 AM..

Old 09-14-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
South Carolina. or Louisiana. Ummmmm I don't know,...good comparison

Cities- Outside of N.O,...I don't like any Louisiana cities Winner South Carolina for me,..I really enjoyed Myrtle Beach and Charleston is a nice city for its size

Culture- Louisiana Louisiana Louisiana

Education- Louisiana

Economy- Ummmmmm got to give it to Louisiana, For Now

Growth- Ummm no one really talks about South Carolina growth but the State is growing about as fast as Tennessee without a Nashville or a Memphis. That's respectable for a small state so im gonna give this one to South Carolina even though it's fast growth is under the radar. Louisiana on the other hand with it's legendary status you would think that's it's growing faster than it really is but in reality it's barely keeping up with Alabama....Winner South Carolina

Recreation- South Carolina,...has actual beaches and no oil spills washing ashoreand plus, im not a big fan for bayou's or swamps

Politics- I hear more about Louisiana Politics. Before I Google I can't even name the governor of South Carolina (googling.....) Aw ok, its Nikki Haley

Infrastructure- Ummmm. I'd say Louisiana, the Feds didn't invest billions of dollars in Post Katrina New Orleans for Nothing,...and plus the fact that Louisiana has one of the largest ports in the US and the infrastructure surrounding that,..I cant think of anything in South Carolina that compares Winner L'etat de louisiane (Louisiana)

Amenities- Louisiana,...South Carolina cities are not big enough (yet) to offer the full range of amenities that a city person like me would like,...the nighlife the NFL the NBA nice shopping etc ...Winner L'etat de louisiane

Ummm overall I have a lot of respect for South Carolina even though some people in North Carolina see it as backwards. When it's cities get big enough I believe South Carolina is going to be a force to be reckoned with...it's just not there yet...Louisiana IS in the form of New Orleans, this is a tough one

I like New Orleans better than Any South Carolinian city yet I like South Carolina better as a state and plus it's close proximity to Charlotte and Atlanta yet Louisiana is close to Texas and Houston yet South Carolina has miles upon miles of Sandy Beaches I don't think Louisiana has many swimmable beaches, Yet Louisiana has the New Orleans Saints and NBA Pelicans,..Yet South Carolina has a promising future and is growing faster,...and doesn't have all that crime. Yet Louisiana has all that culture.....whew tough one but until South Carolina gets bigger Im gonna go with L'etat de louisiane (Louisiana) for now,..My vote is Louisiana
That's a pretty good analysis. But I will say that I don't think NOLA has all that is has simply due to size, but also--maybe even more so--due to culture and influence. For instance, there are other metros around the size of NOLA that don't have major league pro sports (e.g., Richmond, Louisville, Birmingham, etc.), and the ones that do just have one (e.g., Jacksonville, Memphis, Raleigh). Of course, that plays a major role in NOLA's nightlife (none of the aforementioned cities has a nightlife scene comparable to NOLA's) and it attracting and hosting the large-scale events that it does because it has successfully built a tourism industry around that. As far sports go, technically the Panthers belong to both Carolinas but they play in Charlotte, so in a state-to-state match-up that doesn't really count. In terms of "nice shopping," is Louisiana, or should I say NOLA, really that much ahead of SC? I do think Charleston does a better job with urban retail (concentrated along King Street) than any other city between both states.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:59 PM

367 posts, read 995,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's a pretty good analysis. But I will say that I don't think NOLA has all that is has simply due to size, but also--maybe even more so--due to culture and influence. For instance, there are other metros around the size of NOLA that don't have major league pro sports (e.g., Richmond, Louisville, Birmingham, etc.), and the ones that do just have one (e.g., Jacksonville, Memphis, Raleigh). Of course, that plays a major role in NOLA's nightlife (none of the aforementioned cities has a nightlife scene comparable to NOLA's) and it attracting and hosting the large-scale events that it does because it has successfully built a tourism industry around that. As far sports go, technically the Panthers belong to both Carolinas but they play in Charlotte, so in a state-to-state match-up that doesn't really count. In terms of "nice shopping," is Louisiana, or should I say NOLA, really that much ahead of SC? I do think Charleston does a better job with urban retail (concentrated along King Street) than any other city between both states.
I suppose you could say the Carolina Panthers and Bobcats/Hornets (suck *** team) represent South Carolina and therefore South Carolina has access to professional sports....since I'm a city boy that would be a choice between New Orleans or the Suburban part of the Charlotte metro, that's in South Carolina.....
New Orleans vs Suburban Charlotte....Now that's a tough one too,...especially as Charlotte gets bigger

Myrtle Beach
+Suburban Charlotte
+Columbia and Charleston....the more I think about it the more I could be persuaded to change my vote to South Carolina....but as I stands, I voted for Louisiana so I'll Just leave it at that

Ha well Yeah you do have a point Nola shopping isn't that that far ahead of South Carolina,...maybe just slightly so... When you include Metro Charlotte the difference is even less so

Old 09-14-2013, 02:00 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Cities: Overall I would choose SC. We have great cities but SC has beachfront cities, hilly cities, and vacation towns.
Culture: Louisiana easy
Education: I have no idea, I'll guess South Carolina for K-12 and Louisiana for higher ed.
Economy: Louisiana has a higher GDP so Louisiana here.
Growth: I'll say SC because it's probably more widespread growth. North Louisiana isn't doing as well as south Louisiana.
Recreation: SC by a landslide
Politics: Louisiana politics is famously corrupt. If that means anything..
Infrastructure: I would imagine roads underground infrastructure is better in SC but LA has huge ports, Superdome, new levee system, etc.
Amenities: Louisiana because of New Orleans teams and entertainment options.

I'd say it is a slight advantage to Louisiana but very close. South Carolina is an underrated state though, I'd rather live there than NC if there cities were larger.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
I suppose you could say the Carolina Panthers and Bobcats/Hornets represent South Carolina and therefore South Carolina has access to professional sports....since I'm a city boy that would be a choice between New Orleans or the Suburban part of the Charlotte metro, that's in South Carolina.....
New Orleans vs Suburban Charlotte....Now that's a tough one to,...especially as Charlotte gets bigger

Myrtle Beach
+Suburban Charlotte
+Columbia and Charleston....the more I think about it the more I could be persuaded to change my vote to South Carolina....but as I stands, I voted for Louisiana so I'll Just leave it at that

Ha well Yeah you do have a point Nola shopping isn't that that far ahead of South Carolina,...maybe just slightly so... When you include Metro Charlotte the difference is even less so
Well it wouldn't be fair to include ALL of metro Charlotte in this comparison since most of it lies across the border, but on a practical, day-to-day basis, having Charlotte just across the state line is certainly an advantage and gives SC'ers much more access to a wider array of amenities and such.

It's also interesting that the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA is almost as populous as New Orleans's CSA but NOLA's status as a city puts it in a different orbit.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:14 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well it wouldn't be fair to include ALL of metro Charlotte in this comparison since most of it lies across the border, but on a practical, day-to-day basis, having Charlotte just across the state line is certainly an advantage and gives SC'ers much more access to a wider array of amenities and such.

It's also interesting that the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA is almost as populous as New Orleans's CSA but NOLA's status as a city puts it in a different orbit.
Charlotte only gives an advantage to people in the metro. To the rest of the state, Charlotte is still hours away.

I noticed that a while back, I had no idea it was that large, I don't remember it feeling that large but it's been a while since I've passed through Greenville to Charlotte. From Anderson to Spartanburg is nearly the distance from New Orleans to Baton Rouge. Interesting.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:32 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
Louisiana. South Carolina does have an advantage in scenery, though. It has the foothills and the beautiful beaches, as well as the same kind of swampland that Louisiana has. The beaches in Louisiana don't look very nice, but they are closer to Destin or Orange Beach, which surpass anything SC has to offer in the beach department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City