Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Louisiana or South Carolina?
Louisiana 45 34.35%
South Carolina 86 65.65%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 09:24 PM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times

Advertisements

South Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 09:56 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
I mean suppose you're right about Arkansas. You can also find Cajun culture in Mobile. It was not in bad taste, you were talking about the subject, I went through Katrina, I remember the damage. I remember seeing the news reports/videos of parts of New Orleans completely underwater. Any coastal city could hypothetically get wrecked by a hurricane but some places are more likely than others. And looking at topography map... NOLA is one of those place, it's literally a bowl, sentiment shifting has left entire areas of the city 10 feet or more below the actual sea level. Assuming 30 foot storm surge, nearly all of NOLA would be gone if one of the many levee's fail, a good portion of Charleston is well above that 30 feet mark.
Also South Carolina nearly tripled the GDP growth
Cajun culture is not found east of New Orleans. Its not even in New Orleans. You're probably talking about creoles and their culture. Cajun culture is centered around south central, and southwestern Louisiana. Lake Charles, Lafayette, Houma, Thibodaux, and up to Opelousas. Baton Rouge has fairly weak true Cajun culture like Lafayette or Breaux Bridge.

The whole remember 2005 thing is pretty triggering for people in South Louisiana. The Great Wall of Louisiana will mitigate most storm surge as well as the state is rebuilding barrier islands to absorb as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
To be fair, SC is also between Atlanta and Charlotte but it does have the advantage of catching suburban spillover from Charlotte.

After what? I think part of your post got cut off.

I'm guessing it was in the off-season.

They are a tie on that front IMO. Overall, LA gets the nod on culture whereas SC gets it for tourism in general.
Yeah being between two booming states seems like an advantage.

Until about 1920-1940.

It actually wasn't, it was the week before Black Bike Week, we came on regular bike week. The strip was very very family oriented with an arcade and like one bar. We found a mall or something with a courtyard where they allowed people to drink. It felt very "lame" for lack of a better word. The beaches were nice and it seems like a nice place but didn't find a lick of adult nightlife.

I have yet to visit Charleston but I would imagine New Orleans has much more to do and offer and the culture is world famous. No one knows King St by name like they do Bourbon St. This isn't to downplay Charleston though, the outdoors recreation is probably better and more diverse, and its a lot safer for tourists. I definitely don't see how South Carolina wins in the tourism department. New Orleans ranks with New York, Vegas, Miami, etc in that department.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:55 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It actually wasn't, it was the week before Black Bike Week, we came on regular bike week. The strip was very very family oriented with an arcade and like one bar. We found a mall or something with a courtyard where they allowed people to drink. It felt very "lame" for lack of a better word. The beaches were nice and it seems like a nice place but didn't find a lick of adult nightlife.
Oh I thought you meant it was slow and deserted. Myrtle Beach is not New Orleans so if you were expecting that....yeah.

Quote:
I have yet to visit Charleston but I would imagine New Orleans has much more to do and offer and the culture is world famous. No one knows King St by name like they do Bourbon St. This isn't to downplay Charleston though, the outdoors recreation is probably better and more diverse, and its a lot safer for tourists. I definitely don't see how South Carolina wins in the tourism department. New Orleans ranks with New York, Vegas, Miami, etc in that department.
In terms of annual visitors, SC is up there and it's not reliant on just one city: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...in-the-us.html

Old 04-13-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Oh I thought you meant it was slow and deserted. Myrtle Beach is not New Orleans so if you were expecting that....yeah.

In terms of annual visitors, SC is up there and it's not reliant on just one city: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...in-the-us.html
I was expecting the strip to have some nightlife options, nothing like New Orleans. Something more like the beaches along Alabama and Florida's panhandle.

That link doesn't show any methodology and visitors aren't the same as tourists. I feel like tourists actively seek out a destination and visitors may come for reasons that have nothing to do with desire (business/family).

Old 04-15-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I was expecting the strip to have some nightlife options, nothing like New Orleans. Something more like the beaches along Alabama and Florida's panhandle.

That link doesn't show any methodology and visitors aren't the same as tourists. I feel like tourists actively seek out a destination and visitors may come for reasons that have nothing to do with desire (business/family).
I don't think sources make much of a distinction between tourists and visitors but even so, I'd say New Orleans would attract more visitors than any city in SC since it's also a huge convention city as well as bigger city in general with natives and their (grand)children spread out all over. As a matter of fact, half of my visits to New Orleans were for conventions which is essentially business. Most of SC's tourists/visitors are definitely the leisurely type. As but one prominent example, folks fly to the SC coast just to golf, and in huge numbers at that. And about half of the population of NC, a state that's twice as populous, frequent SC's beaches. Greenville/the Upstate is also becoming more of a leisurely destination (although mostly known for its beaches, SC does have a sliver of beautiful, scenic mountains), and then you've the got out-of-state alumni flooding the state during football season (as is the case in Louisiana as well I know), and Columbia's zoo is quite the regional draw in itself.

Old 04-15-2021, 01:52 PM

148 posts, read 119,430 times
I don't like anything in Louisiana besides the core of New Orleans.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:07 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasToGA View Post
Large parts of Louisiana are naturally beautiful (most certainly pretty to look at while driving through). I'll give it that.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I don't think sources make much of a distinction between tourists and visitors but even so, I'd say New Orleans would attract more visitors than any city in SC since it's also a huge convention city as well as bigger city in general with natives and their (grand)children spread out all over. As a matter of fact, half of my visits to New Orleans were for conventions which is essentially business. Most of SC's tourists/visitors are definitely the leisurely type. As but one prominent example, folks fly to the SC coast just to golf, and in huge numbers at that. And about half of the population of NC, a state that's twice as populous, frequent SC's beaches. Greenville/the Upstate is also becoming more of a leisurely destination (although mostly known for its beaches, SC does have a sliver of beautiful, scenic mountains), and then you've the got out-of-state alumni flooding the state during football season (as is the case in Louisiana as well I know), and Columbia's zoo is quite the regional draw in itself.
I'm generally weary of visitor numbers and methodology, hotel stays miss day trips. MSY moves about 14 million passengers per year, thats more than the 4 largest airports in South Carolina, so the visitors must be overwhelmingly coming from Georgia, Florida, and North Carolina.
My uncle spends alot of time in Myrtle Beach for golf and he lives in Charlotte.
I would imagine alot of the visits come directly from the I-85 corridor near the mountains.

Old 04-18-2021, 04:55 AM

Quote:
I'm generally weary of visitor numbers and methodology, hotel stays miss day trips. MSY moves about 14 million passengers per year, thats more than the 4 largest airports in South Carolina, so the visitors must be overwhelmingly coming from Georgia, Florida, and North Carolina.
My uncle spends alot of time in Myrtle Beach for golf and he lives in Charlotte.
I would imagine alot of the visits come directly from the I-85 corridor near the mountains.
Keep in mind there are two other airports just outside of the state's boundaries that nevertheless still serve SC: CLT and SAV. Lots of leisure visitors to SC fly into Charlotte and Savannah-Hilton Head, and business travelers, especially from overseas (SC has one of the highest foreign direct investment rates in the country on a per capita basis) utilize CLT quite a bit also. So statistics for the airports located within SC alone can be a bit misleading when viewed in isolation. No doubt people from neighboring states constitute a likely majority of visitors to SC, but there's more to that story.

Quite a bit of leisure visitors to SC--as well as new residents for that matter--are also from inland states like WV, OH, IN, etc. Also seasonal flights offered at the coastal airports give a good sense of where visitors are coming from. When I was living in NJ for most of 2015, I utilized Atlantic City's airport once (and, ironically, my final destination was the New Orleans area for that trip) that summer and was amused to see conveyor belts full of golf bags belonging to travelers headed down to Myrtle Beach to get some rounds in.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:32 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasToGA View Post
Really? Louisiana is one of my favorite states.
Yeah if you are just focusing on urban enclaves then outside NOLA the rest of the state isn't the best for that, but there are tons of other aspects of the state that make it worthy.

Louisiana has tons of history and culture.
It has tons of charming old plantations, each with their own story.
NOLA is king for variety of food for the state but Louisiana has good food all around.
In terms of the natural environment, Louisiana may not be the most scenic, but it certainly is interesting.
I think some on here place all the emphasis on mountains because they make for a great picture, but ignore other geological aspects of the land.

I am not going to say anything bad about SC, or even insinuate that LA is better. In this post I just wanted to point out some of the things that make me like the State as a whole, and showcase that's there is more to it than the core of NOLA alone. Heck some of the best food I have in my life were outside the core of NOLA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City