Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 05:31 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times

Advertisements

Don't forget Mint Condition is also from the twin cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 05:45 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,680 times
Both great cities, but I have to go with Philadelphia.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:25 PM

573 posts, read 1,049,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Both great cities, but I have to go with Philadelphia.
Great insight!

Old 08-25-2013, 08:10 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
...and probably all 100 people living outside PA and having never visited PA would not have heard of a club or a theater in Philly. For those two in Minneapolis I would say at MOST 75 people would not have heard of them and I am being generous.

Don't be daft. Most outsiders couldn't name a theater or venue in either city. Don't kid yourself.

Quote:
BTW, Yahoo maps show the distance from Philly to Atlantic City as 62 miles. I thought it would be more. The distance from Minneapolis to St. Paul is 10 miles.
Philadelphia has a top 5 music scene on its own. I mentioned Atlantic City for effect only. Philly/Atlantic City combined arguably provide the second best music scene in the country behind NYC.

I'm sure Minnesota is a good music town but it simply can not compare to the 4th largest media market in the country (8-9 M people) .Right in the center of a 50 M person megalopolis.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:35 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The Kimmel Center is pretty well known, a few others as well. Not being difficult, but any cultured person at least in the northeast, would know a lot of the theater/cultural landmarks in Philadelphia. Much moreso than anything in Minneapolis.
Oh right! I can't believe I forgot that the Northeast is literally the only part of North America that exists in the corporeal universe and all the tens of millions of people I was thinking lived in other parts of the continent are just figments of my renegade imagination. Silly me, how daft to think there might be an extant world west of Pittsburgh!

Seriously, I wonder if it's MAYBE possible that Northeasterners would know more about Philly than Mpls not because Philly is better, but because Philadelphia is literally in the Northeast.

The Kimmel Center is fine, but it's definitely not as well-known as the Guthrie in the circles that matter. You just can't put Philly - or any other American city other than New York - up against Minneapolis in terms of theater, that's one area where Mpls definitely comes out on top.

As far as classical music, Minnesota Orchestra is going through some major turmoil right now, but it's bound to come back and it's widely regarded as one of the best in the nation. So is Philly Orchestra. They're both world-class.

I'm very sick of this incredibly pervasive attitude in this forum that
1. bigger MSA = better MSA
2. coastal MSA = better MSA
3. Northeast/California/PNW/Mountains > Midwest/Canada > South

There are MANY more factors in city life than population, natural setting, and region.

It's perfectly fair to compare Minneapolis to Philadelphia, even in Philly is substantially bigger. Millions of people have chosen to live in both, and most of them seem pretty happy with their decision.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:19 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,628 times
i moved from philly to minnesota around 2 years ago. so i can definitely judge both. lemme say this. philadelphia is better than minneapolis and st paul combined. but the minnesota suburbs are better than philly. the only reason i would see myself staying in minnesota compared to philly is the safety and the schools. thats it.

1. food- philly all day. cheesesteaks, soulfood, jamaican food, italian hoagies. . i have not found one jamaican spot in minnesota yet and marla's is terrible. there's a diff between jamaican food and carribean food. minnesota is great if you like healthy. but when it comes to variety and flavor its philadelphia.

2. traveling. philadelphia. i can go to baltimore, jersey, new york without hesitation. minnesota, its a 7 hour drive to chicago and thats it.

now as far the suburbs. i live in edina and to be honest, the only time i need to go to the city is for a concert or to a nightclub. thats it. i can find everything i need in the daytime in the suburbs. there's plenty of restaurants. shopping- i got southdale mall, mall of america, etc. for family fun, you got nickelodeon universe, oak hill splash pad, chutes and ladders. so i have plenty of things to do during the day without going in to the cities. now philly suburbs are boring. its just a place to lay your head. you constantly find yourself going to the city for just about everything. shopping, good food, fun, nightlife. everything.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:47 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
i moved from philly to minnesota around 2 years ago. so i can definitely judge both. lemme say this. philadelphia is better than minneapolis and st paul combined. but the minnesota suburbs are better than philly. the only reason i would see myself staying in minnesota compared to philly is the safety and the schools. thats it.

1. food- philly all day. cheesesteaks, soulfood, jamaican food, italian hoagies. . i have not found one jamaican spot in minnesota yet and marla's is terrible. there's a diff between jamaican food and carribean food. minnesota is great if you like healthy. but when it comes to variety and flavor its philadelphia.

2. traveling. philadelphia. i can go to baltimore, jersey, new york without hesitation. minnesota, its a 7 hour drive to chicago and thats it.

now as far the suburbs. i live in edina and to be honest, the only time i need to go to the city is for a concert or to a nightclub. thats it. i can find everything i need in the daytime in the suburbs. there's plenty of restaurants. shopping- i got southdale mall, mall of america, etc. for family fun, you got nickelodeon universe, oak hill splash pad, chutes and ladders. so i have plenty of things to do during the day without going in to the cities. now philly suburbs are boring. its just a place to lay your head. you constantly find yourself going to the city for just about everything. shopping, good food, fun, nightlife. everything.
That is really debatable. The Philly burbs have charm, character, regional, national, and international destinations, filled with history, shopping, dining, and beauty. All suburbs are boring compared to big cities like Philly, but if Philly burbs are boring and lackluster, so is the rest of the countries suburbs. And the schools in the suburbs of Philly are better than almost anywhere in the country. So I do not know why someone would move to Minnesota for better schools and safety when you have the Philly suburbs right there.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That is really debatable. The Philly burbs have charm, character, regional, national, and international destinations, filled with history, shopping, dining, and beauty. All suburbs are boring compared to big cities like Philly, but if Philly burbs are boring and lackluster, so is the rest of the countries suburbs. And the schools in the suburbs of Philly are better than almost anywhere in the country. So I do not know why someone would move to Minnesota for better schools and safety when you have the Philly suburbs right there.
what philly suburbs are you referring to? you do know that the future out you go, the better the schools are. when i was in bala cynwyd. i stayed in lansdowne and lansdowne is boring. lansdowne, darby ,upper darby have gotten worse. im strictly referring to delaware county suburbs and ill take hennepin county in minneapolis over delaware county anyday.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:42 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
now philly suburbs are boring. its just a place to lay your head. you constantly find yourself going to the city for just about everything. shopping, good food, fun, nightlife. everything.

You are very misguided.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
You are very misguided.
what suburbs are you referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City