Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,842 times

Advertisements

I am a 26 yr old male from NY. I am currently looking to relocate to a southern city. Other than Florida, I have not been to any other places down south. Through the internet, I have been looking at Charleston, SC, Raleigh, NC, and Boca Raton/Ft. Lauderdfale FL area. I am open to other ideas as well. I am looking to become a police officer but I have experience as a bartender, valet, retail, and basically just want to find a job so I can live until I can find a place I like to settle down and find my career.
I am looking for a city where I will be able to find:

a job, social scene with singles my age, some sort of public transportation would be nice but not a necessity, nice weather, friendly people, good night life, clean, low crime, fairly cheap rent, near a beach, good restaurants/bars Etc.

I understand I can't have it all but I would like to find a place with a lot of those things. I would appreciate any input or advice. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 07:28 PM

801 posts, read 1,514,346 times
I cant say anything about Raleigh and Charleston, but I can say a few things about Fort Lauderdale/Boca Raton. The people down there aren't very friendly. You may find a few and you will more than likely make friends, but the people just aren't very friendly. Rent won't be cheap near the beach but you might find a nice place. There will be crime but it will be possible to find a low crime area. The weather, IMO, is horrible! It stays scorching hot at least 7 months out theyear and the other months it stays above 70. You might like that, but I can't stand it. I'm not sure about how good public transportation is. I know they have buses and commuter rail, but I'm not sure how reliable it is.

I would recommend St. Augustine. It has everything you're looking for, although it's a little lacking in the nightlife area (there are clubs there though). Crime is virtually non-existent and you could easily find a nice house for cheap. I think you should definitely check it out.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:37 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Coming from NY(C)? You may like Ft Lauderdale more than St Augustine. Although St Aug is probably my favorite place in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City