Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cosmopolitan?
Dallas 155 37.17%
Seattle 262 62.83%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 12:06 PM

604 posts, read 1,520,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
So a half white and half African American city is no more diverse then an all white city?
I'm just saying diversity is more than just African Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 12:39 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Dallas has a much larger, more diverse population
Dallas and the surrounding metroplex is full of diversified arts
Lots to do around the metroplex in terms of entertainment options
Great sports city
Luxury shopping out the yahoo and great local boutiques
amazing diverse cuisine
central dallas is more urban than some give it credit for
much better nightlife in Dallas

Dallas sounds pretty cosmo to me!
I disagree nightlife is better in Dallas. To me, good nightlife means good concentrated bar districts and more variety, which Seattle has. Nothing in Dallas compares to Capitol Hill, Ballard, or Pioneer Square for walkable, clustered, bar districts (Deep Ellum, West End, and lower Greenville are very different kinds of bar districts).

Even Seattle's more low-key neighborhoods, like Greenwood, Wallingford, or Columbia City have a lot more walkable neighborhood bars.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:40 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Dallas' downtown is a joke. The flagship Neiman Marcus even closes at 6pm weekdays. Seriously. You can shoot a cannon off and not hit anyone after 6.
Why is the cosmo feel of both areas being singled out to downtown vs downtown. The downtown of Dallas is getting better but still functions as a business center rather than "the place to live". The surrounding core of diverse neighborhoods are where most of Dallas' soul lives. Is Seattle really that much more dense and walkable than Uptown, Oak Lawn, Deep Ellum, Oak Cliff, Knox-Henderson, M Streets, etc. in Dallas? If so, it certainly doesn't feel that way in person.

Even the shopping areas of Dallas have original pieces of art as the decor. There is a much more upscale, high-class vibe in Dallas than what you find in Seattle. That plus the diverse population, cuisine and the world class arts venues sets Dallas apart.

You will get more people per square mile in any situation where you have water on one side and a hilly and mountainous terrain on the other.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:48 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
I disagree nightlife is better in Dallas. To me, good nightlife means good concentrated bar districts and more variety, which Seattle has. Nothing in Dallas compares to Capitol Hill, Ballard, or Pioneer Square for walkable, clustered, bar districts (Deep Ellum, West End, and lower Greenville are very different kinds of bar districts).

Even Seattle's more low-key neighborhoods, like Greenwood, Wallingford, or Columbia City have a lot more walkable neighborhood bars.
I was thinking more Oak Lawn, M Streets, Knox-Henderson and Uptown (McKinney Ave and West Village) along with the Main Street District Downtown.

Deep Ellum is coming back to life, Lower greenville is in transition and West End is not exactly a nightlife district theres a few bars and a club or two in Victory Park next to there, but that's it. So if you compare Seattle to the districts you named of course it will come out on top. Those aren't the main go to areas in Dallas these days.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:51 PM

443 posts, read 877,322 times
Seattle has a better culinary scene - n0 doubt. A lot of great ethnic food, as well as fine dining - more innovaive stuff happening and more variety.

Also, while Dallas does beat Seattle in overall diversity, Seattle's 98118 zip code is the most diverse zip code in the country - 59 languages are spoken and, while the neighborhood has its problems, it's fairly well integrated. (Seattle's 98118 zip code the most diverse in the country | KING5.com Seattle)

Finally, Seattle's neighborhoods are much more distinctive and interesting than Dallas'. Outside of downtown and inner neighborhoods, neither are particularly urban cities, but Seattle's outer neighborhoods have more defined, walkable, and eclectic centers.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:57 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I was thinking more Oak Lawn, M Streets, Knox-Henderson and Uptown (McKinney Ave and West Village) along with the Main Street District Downtown.

Deep Ellum is coming back to life, Lower greenville is in transition and West End is not exactly a nightlife district theres a few bars and a club or two in Victory Park next to there, but that's it. So if you compare Seattle to the districts you named of course it will come out on top. Those aren't the main go to areas in Dallas these days.
Fair enough - but still, the more urban form of Seattle's inner neighborhoods - like Capitol Hill, Belltown, Pioneer Square, and Queen Anne - means there are higher concentrations of bars and more street activity. The area between 10th and 12th on Pike in Seattle must have 30 -40 bars literally within a few block radius and it gets absolutely flooded on the weekend. I never saw anything like that in Dallas, although to be fair - of the districts you mention above, I've only been to Main Street at night and M Streets during the day.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:16 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
Seattle has a better culinary scene - n0 doubt. A lot of great ethnic food, as well as fine dining - more innovaive stuff happening and more variety.
Dallas definitely beats Seattle in ethnic food. Since Dallas is more multicultural than Seattle, that should come as no surprise.

I can see Seattle having the upper hand in fine dining.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:25 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,025,238 times
I've never, I mean never seen a poll which Dallas has won on this forum. Think even if you compare it to places like Buffalo or Cleveland in a poll, Dallas will lose on this forum. Guess most people outside Texas just assume what Dallas is like based on outdated TV shows and old movies!

Old 11-05-2011, 01:59 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
I've never, I mean never seen a poll which Dallas has won on this forum. Think even if you compare it to places like Buffalo or Cleveland in a poll, Dallas will lose on this forum. Guess most people outside Texas just assume what Dallas is like based on outdated TV shows and old movies!
You are correct. Dallas or Houston for that matter will never win a poll on here. The problem with people's assumptions is that they're pretty stubborn to hold on to them.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:09 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, yes I have. What's so damn diverse about a city that is 66.3% white, non-hispanic? They might talk the talk, but they sure don't walk the walk there. Dallas, meanwhile is 28% white, non-hispanic.

Seattlites I have known are NOT very worldly, and they dress like slobs.
Sure we all know Seattle isn't the most diverse city in country--but "talk the talk, but they sure don't walk the walk there" is stupid thing to say. What should there should be some organized campaign to get more non-white immigrants to move there? The Pacific Northwest is a long way from the South where the majority of African Americans live and migrated from, that's why the percentage has historically always been low. The percentage of Asians and Hispanics however has significantly grown in the last 20 years. The Seattle area will continue to change demographically until many surrounding suburbs look more like the Bay Area in terms of makeup. It just pisses me off when people chastise the Northwest for having a higher percentage of white people--a fact that is largely due to geography--yet make it seem like we're supposed to feel guilty about our demographics.

Seattlites aren't as worldly as Texans? That's a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City