Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is better?
Chicago 101 52.88%
L.A. 90 47.12%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 05:06 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,092 times

Advertisements

L.A. is far too polarizing to take any popularity polls seriously (note the guy with one post in this thread who picked Chicago; that's not a coicidence). Chicago does have an edge in fine dining, but that type of dining is hardly representative of a city's culinary scene. Those places are outliers.

Ask any foodie, and they'll tell you huge ethnic populations are crucial to re-creating a nation's cuisine, and L.A. has those in amounts that even a big metro like Chicago can't match. Huge Mexican, Chinese(serving every style you can think of in the SGV, not just Cantonese), Japanese, Vietnamese, Peruvian, Central-American, Armenian, Iranian, Thai, Korean populations. I would wager that there are 7-8 million foreign born residents in Greater L.A.--absurd totals. Then you have the region's big contributions in hamburger/hot dog/deli/fusion/food truck/Californian/American-style Japanese dining--L.A. is underrated in a lot of categories, but food is probably the area where it is most underrated.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 11-05-2011 at 05:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 06:17 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceboyzero View Post
I'm shocked that Chicago isn't taking names in this poll. Chicago isn't the best in a lot of things, but there is one thing that Chicagoans like to do, and that's eat. It currently has some of the best ranked restaurants in the country/world, and ranks up with NYC, SF, and New Orleans for biggest food cities. And the argument about LA's diversity fueling ethnic cuisine can also be said about Chicago.

Sorry LA, you'll win in other things, but not this... That's not to say that LA isn't a great restaurant city, but rankings and polls are overwhelmingly in favor of Chicago. Let's look quantitively...

American Cities with Michelin Guides:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin_Guide

New York, San Francisco, Chicago
(Los Angeles & Las Vegas guides suspended)

American Cities with Michelin 3-Star Ranking
New York (7)
San Francisco & Chicago (2)
Las Vegas (1)
Los Angeles (0)

2011 World's Best Restaurants
The Top 50 Best Restaurants 1-50 | The World

6. Alinea (Chicago)
10. Per Se (NYC)
11. Daniel (NYC)
18. Le Bernardin (NYC)
24. Eleven Madison Park (NYC)
40. Momofuku Ssam Bar (NYC)
56. The French Restaurant (SF)
62. Jean Georges (NYC)
65. Momofuku Ko (NYC)
69. Manresa (SF)
75. Coi (SF)
81. WD~50 (NYC)
85. The Bazaar by Jose Andres (Los Angeles)
91. Blue Hill at Stone Barns (NYC)
95. Masa (Boston)

2011 Travel & Leisure Polls
America's Favorite Cities 2011 - City Comparison - Chicago vs Los Angeles | Travel + Leisure

5. Chicago
16. Los Angeles

2010 Esquire Best Restaurant Cities
1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. New Orleans
5. Los Angeles

2008 Food & Wine Best Restaurant Cities in the World
10 Best Restaurant Cities | Food & Wine

1. Tokyo
2. Paris
3. New York City
4. London
5. Barcelona
6. Sydney
7. Madrid
8. Chicago
9. Stockholm
10. Vancouver

2009 Top Five Restaurant Cities in the US
Daily Fork - Top Five Restaurant Cities in the U.S.

1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. New Orleans
5. Seattle
Thank you.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:29 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
L.A. is far too polarizing to take any popularity polls seriously (note the guy with one post in this thread who picked Chicago; that's not a coicidence). Chicago does have an edge in fine dining, but that type of dining is hardly representative of a city's culinary scene. Those places are outliers.

Ask any foodie, and they'll tell you huge ethnic populations are crucial to re-creating a nation's cuisine, and L.A. has those in amounts that even a big metro like Chicago can't match. Huge Mexican, Chinese(serving every style you can think of in the SGV, not just Cantonese), Japanese, Vietnamese, Peruvian, Central-American, Armenian, Iranian, Thai, Korean populations. I would wager that there are 7-8 million foreign born residents in Greater L.A.--absurd totals. Then you have the region's big contributions in hamburger/hot dog/deli/fusion/food truck/Californian/American-style Japanese dining--L.A. is underrated in a lot of categories, but food is probably the area where it is most underrated.
It would be cool if some chef in LA would combine the Meso-American, East Asian, and Middle Eastern cuisines into some type of great fusion food. Personally, I HATE fusion cuisine, but I'm starting to somewhat warm up to it again.

Honestly, I think LA is AWESOME when it comes to low-end hole in the wall places up to middle priced restaurants (basically anywhere less than $15/dish). It's the higher end that LA is lacking, which is what a lot of these rankings are focused on.

I haven't eaten in Chicago, so I can't say how good it is. I'm EXTREMELY interested in trying out Lou Malnatis for deep dish, have a true Italian beef, etc.

I'm a pretty cheap guy, so it's not very often I like to drop more than $20/person at a restaurant.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:25 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
It would be cool if some chef in LA would combine the Meso-American, East Asian, and Middle Eastern cuisines into some type of great fusion food. Personally, I HATE fusion cuisine, but I'm starting to somewhat warm up to it again.

Honestly, I think LA is AWESOME when it comes to low-end hole in the wall places up to middle priced restaurants (basically anywhere less than $15/dish). It's the higher end that LA is lacking, which is what a lot of these rankings are focused on.

I haven't eaten in Chicago, so I can't say how good it is. I'm EXTREMELY interested in trying out Lou Malnatis for deep dish, have a true Italian beef, etc.

I'm a pretty cheap guy, so it's not very often I like to drop more than $20/person at a restaurant.
I'm cheap also. With that in mind: I just ate at a surprisingly good and inexpensive (most lunch plates under $10) Peruvain place in North Long Beach (after the Veterans Day Parade). "Imperial Puruvian", Atlantic Blvd. Don't let the K-Fry looking exterior deceive you. In my experience, these pleasantly-surprising cheap eats can be found all over LA.

I've been to Chicago only once, and I never need to eat deep dish again. Everything else was good, but did not blow my socks off. Need to make another trip.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:44 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I'm cheap also. With that in mind: I just ate at a surprisingly good and inexpensive (most lunch plates under $10) Peruvain place in North Long Beach (after the Veterans Day Parade). "Imperial Puruvian", Atlantic Blvd. Don't let the K-Fry looking exterior deceive you. In my experience, these pleasantly-surprising cheap eats can be found all over LA.

I've been to Chicago only once, and I never need to eat deep dish again. Everything else was good, but did not blow my socks off. Need to make another trip.
There are so many good and cheap places all around LA that I don't feel the need to go to one of the more haute-cuisine places to eat most of the time, except to impress a date. Hell, I feel pretty ripped off whenever I do, in fact. I remember my girlfriend and I at the time decided we wanted to try an expensive 5-star restaurant in Santa Monica, and I literally spent $120 on a bottle of wine, rosemary chicken, some sort of compote, and an appetizer dish. The ambience was GREAT, but the food itself was meh.

Maybe I don't know how to appreciate higher end food yet. I had a HUGE problem doing that in the Bay Area (though for the most part, they have plenty of good lower-middle end options)

I will say that I did eat at this Brazillian place (Fogo de Chao) on Sunset a few months ago with a friend visiting from NJ and another friend, and I gotta say I was deeply impressed by it. But it brought up something else in my mind: "how do BRAZILIANS afford to eat this everyday? "

The SFV is FULL of good cheap eats. From places like Shamshiri (not the cheapest, but the portions are freaking amazing!), Taco Llama (waaaay better than King Taco, IMO!), Jerry's Deli, Garden Wok, Johnny Pacific's Empanadas, amongst others.

The whole LA area has some surprisingly awesome hole-in-the-wall places that are just delectable, but are mostly in some non-descript strip mall that can be easily missed most of the time. Hell, half of the places I listed above are usually between a 7/11 and some Checks Cashed place.

I'm sure Chicago is the same way. I'm a HUGE Italian food freak, and sort of wished LA had more in the way of really great Italian food. If I ever get out there, I'll try at least one of the higher end restaurants to see what the food is like.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:58 PM

124 posts, read 153,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post

There are nowhere NEAR 7-8 million foreign born people in Greater L.A.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:28 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Probably depends on the cuisine. Mexican, Japanese, Korean, Armenian/Middle Eastern, Fusion, Vegetarian, probably LA, Chicago for American, European cuisines like Italian, German, Polish.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoMa69 View Post
There are nowhere NEAR 7-8 million foreign born people in Greater L.A.
I wasn't off by much. There are roughly 5.7 million foreign born here:

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/06037.html

Still, that doesn't count the region's sizable illegal immigrant population (estimates range from 700k to 1 million).

Let's say there are 6.5 million foreign born in Los Angeles.

That's larger than most metros in this country.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 11-06-2011 at 01:27 AM..

Old 11-06-2011, 01:31 AM

From Mark Bittman of the New York Times (a rag that just LOOOOVES to heap praise on the City of Angels).

The East Is West - The Best Chinese Restaurants in Southern California - NYTimes.com

The article focuses on Chinese food in the San Gabriel Valley (more on that later). This little blurb caught my eye:

THERE are probably more Chinese in Los Angeles than in any metropolitan area outside of China. (The same very likely could be said of Mexicans, Iranians, Koreans, Japanese and more, which is what makes Los Angeles the best international eating city in the world.)

And this:

In these stores (Chinese supermarkets), announcements are made first in Mandarin, then in Korean, then Vietnamese; then Spanish, and last English. Really.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:40 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,494 times
Chicago!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City