Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Manhattan vs Westside LA
Manhattan, NY 93 62.84%
Westside, Los Angeles 55 37.16%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 05:28 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Unless you are very wealthy, chances are you are not going to live in a single family house on the Westside. My wife's boss (an attorney) is well into the 6-figures and can only afford a condo in inland Santa Monica.

This is the one big fallacy about living in Los Angeles - unless you are loaded or inherited a home, you are going to be living in a condo or apartment (especially on the Westside). For some reason everyone thinks living here entails having a nice little yard with an orange tree and maybe even a swimming pool. That just isn't reality at all.
No she could own a small house with an orange tree on her salary but she would have to do her research on gentrification patterns. On her salary she could probably buy a condo or building in Boyle Heights and rent it out to a bunch of hipsters and make dough. If she wanted to she could buy a house in some sort of less-than high profile suburb of LA, but it just wouldn't be as posh as Sanmo.

Santa Monica is one of the more expensive places to live in the city, also the westside. That's probably why she's living below her means. She might also have car payments and be going out a lot too so these are other factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 05:48 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Westside.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:58 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,484 times
The westside any day of the week. What the hell? There's no comparison here. The westside is more appealing in very way, shape, and form.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 907 times
Ok.It's apples and avocados over here. exciting energy/vibe..NY. LA is dead as far as energy goes and the food is lousy. It's not sophisticated and is basically a VERY inconvenient suburb. The restaurants don't take pride in their food and that's a bummer. LA is backwards- land, where hot women mean squat, and ugly broke dudes are too cool to hold the door for you. That being said...NY is expensive. We are talking big dogs, sink or swim. Anyone can move to LA. you can't survive in NYC if you're not making a great living, and you're life will be HELL. My advice...if you are an average dude, move to LA. Hot women cave and settle daily. If you are a woman...try NY. Higher standards all around, but make sure you have a good paying gig, and some friends in NJ for when you want to escape the rat race.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:21 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchydame View Post
Ok.It's apples and avocados over here. exciting energy/vibe..NY. LA is dead as far as energy goes and the food is lousy. It's not sophisticated and is basically a VERY inconvenient suburb. The restaurants don't take pride in their food and that's a bummer. LA is backwards- land, where hot women mean squat, and ugly broke dudes are too cool to hold the door for you. That being said...NY is expensive. We are talking big dogs, sink or swim. Anyone can move to LA. you can't survive in NYC if you're not making a great living, and you're life will be HELL. My advice...if you are an average dude, move to LA. Hot women cave and settle daily. If you are a woman...try NY. Higher standards all around, but make sure you have a good paying gig, and some friends in NJ for when you want to escape the rat race.
HaHa.... welp i got my laugh in for the week

Old 09-25-2014, 01:11 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
LA east of LA Cienega is a much better representation than the westside.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:16 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,642,462 times
There really is no comparison here.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:06 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Hmmm.....

Venice, Santa Monica, Marina Del Ray, and the Fairfax District

vs.

The Upper West Side, Greenwich Village, East Village, Upper East Side, and Chelsea

The aforementioned are neighborhoods in LA's Westside and Manhattan that I could see myself living in.

Hard choice...

Old 09-27-2014, 12:32 AM

1,486 posts, read 292,458 times
Manhattan is just a little bit too dense and crowded. It's a nice place to visit, but I certainly wouldn't want to live there. Westside LA is a beautiful area though, compared to NYC's endless concrete that's even worse than LA's.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:41 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,642,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Hmmm.....

Venice, Santa Monica, Marina Del Ray, and the Fairfax District

vs.

The Upper West Side, Greenwich Village, East Village, Upper East Side, and Chelsea

The aforementioned are neighborhoods in LA's Westside and Manhattan that I could see myself living in.

Hard choice...
True that. All nice places. I might make some modifications to your lists, slight modifications, but totally get the gist. Tough choices.

The only problem with living in Venice/Santa Monica, etc is that you have to work basically west of 405, Brentwood or Culver City at furthest, or you're toast in LA traffic and the Gold Line extension will be of limited help (Olympic is the only road it really serves).

So lucky you if you can find a job over there AND afford to live there and shop/play there. I'd personally take UES off your NYC list. I'd consider Midtown East, but even then I know I'd be finding myself going cross-town way too often, and that's the difficult direction in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City