Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:59 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,120 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia has solid coverage.

I've always wondered about the NYC stations. They theoretically cover an area of like 22 million people. I don't really see that as "local" haha. How are they in reality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 11:45 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times
Just out of curiousity in L.A. there's local news almost throughout the day with different stations alternating hours, kcal9, my13, myfox11, ktla5, running there last hour from 10pm-11pm and abc,cbs, and nbc running there last hour 11pm-1135pm, are we the only market who runs local media that late? On another note all of our local channels are in the single numerical channels with only my13 and myfox11 being in the teens, which is something I haven't seen in any other market like in Boston I know its myfox25, I have noticed though that NYC, Chicago, and LA all have identical cbs2, nbc4, and abc7, even our area codes are very similar, what gives?

Old 12-10-2011, 12:52 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Just out of curiousity in L.A. there's local news almost throughout the day with different stations alternating hours, kcal9, my13, myfox11, ktla5, running there last hour from 10pm-11pm and abc,cbs, and nbc running there last hour 11pm-1135pm, are we the only market who runs local media that late? On another note all of our local channels are in the single numerical channels with only my13 and myfox11 being in the teens, which is something I haven't seen in any other market like in Boston I know its myfox25, I have noticed though that NYC, Chicago, and LA all have identical cbs2, nbc4, and abc7, even our area codes are very similar, what gives?
Philadelphia also has 11pm news.

As for local channels being on single digit channels, this goes back to the history of radio spectrum allocation (UHF/VHF). Broadcasters like Fox are much younger, so the single-digit channels were mostly occupied by the time they came around. After the switch to digital tv a couple years ago, many of the local broadcasters actually send their signal over higher-numbered channels because these get better reception, but the tv masks them so they appear to us to still be on whatever their old channel number was.

As for area codes, it was originally set up so that highly populated areas had the quickest area codes to punch in on a rotary phone (Imagine having to do say 999 on one of those, it would take a while). Also, all area codes at one time only had either 0 or 1 as the middle digit. Examples are 201 (North Jersey), 212 (NYC), 202 (DC), 215 (Philly), etc.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:59 AM

46 posts, read 85,517 times
Atlanta has the worst. It's trash TV. Like the TV equivalent of a bad tabloid. Horrible.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:08 AM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Philadelphia also has 11pm news.

As for local channels being on single digit channels, this goes back to the history of radio spectrum allocation (UHF/VHF). Broadcasters like Fox are much younger, so the single-digit channels were mostly occupied by the time they came around. After the switch to digital tv a couple years ago, many of the local broadcasters actually send their signal over higher-numbered channels because these get better reception, but the tv masks them so they appear to us to still be on whatever their old channel number was.

As for area codes, it was originally set up so that highly populated areas had the quickest area codes to punch in on a rotary phone (Imagine having to do say 999 on one of those, it would take a while). Also, all area codes at one time only had either 0 or 1 as the middle digit. Examples are 201 (North Jersey), 212 (NYC), 202 (DC), 215 (Philly), etc.
Thanx for the info

Old 12-10-2011, 06:25 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Well St Paul/Minneapolis has one channel that is called "Eyewitness News" so presumably they're not just reporting the news but are out there witnessing it as it happens and probably will bring it to you first. Probably nobody else in the country is able to do this, although they seem to be on the scene of those fires maybe a little too quickly if you know what I mean.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:22 AM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Fox 4 news, NBC 5 news, News 8 (ABC), and CBS 11 news are really good in DFW but CW 33 news is horrible. We have Black, White, and Hispanic anchors, that's one thing I like about Dallas/Ft. Worth.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:25 AM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Well St Paul/Minneapolis has one channel that is called "Eyewitness News" so presumably they're not just reporting the news but are out there witnessing it as it happens and probably will bring it to you first. Probably nobody else in the country is able to do this, although they seem to be on the scene of those fires maybe a little too quickly if you know what I mean.
There's a lot of stations around the US called Eyewitness News.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:08 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,596,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Whats wierd is I have that Channel and Im 1,300 miles away from Chicago
Yea I never understood why it's broadcasted to the national market. I watched it one day thinking it was national news that didn't end up on CNN or something.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:10 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
It bothers me too, I'd like to see Twin Cities news anchors more diverse. I always think it would be cool if we had some Hmong or Somali news anchors to show off what we have for diversity
Minneapolis-St. Paul is mostly white. Their news anchors reflects the area fairly accurately. If you have something against whites, then say so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City