Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 05:25 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,536 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, local news everywhere has been degraded into a form of mindless entertainment. We get the generic "Ken and Barbie" anchor team, the chubby weather guy (or sometimes the hot weather girl), and the goofy sports guy. We can count on these people to engage in senseless blather, lame joke-telling, and the reporting of "cute" stories; all while acting as though they have some kind of personal relationship with the viewers. The only big difference I've observed between markets is that, the progressively larger the market, the more sexually marketable the on-air personnel.

I don't want sexy, I don't want cute, I don't want fun, I don't want friendly... I want an intelligent human being providing me with timely and relevant information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 05:51 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,942,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Unfortunately, local news everywhere has been degraded into a form of mindless entertainment. We get the generic "Ken and Barbie" anchor team, the chubby weather guy (or sometimes the hot weather girl), and the goofy sports guy. We can count on these people to engage in senseless blather, lame joke-telling, and the reporting of "cute" stories; all while acting as though they have some kind of personal relationship with the viewers. The only big difference I've observed between markets is that, the progressively larger the market, the more sexually marketable the on-air personnel.

I don't want sexy, I don't want cute, I don't want fun, I don't want friendly... I want an intelligent human being providing me with timely and relevant information.
Wow. It's not like that at all in DFW.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:53 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post

^^^ You summed it all up most accurately. Absolutely true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Wow. It's not like that at all in DFW.
Oh well lucky you guys I guess, it's pretty much the same garbage media rogead articulated about most everywhere else, and same depressing headlines too.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:23 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,597,502 times
Quote:
Detroit's Fox 2 station has the same set and almost near identical graphics.

Detroit Fox 2 News - Novi Library - YouTube

Talk about regurgitation.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:02 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times
That Ghengis Guy is kidding right? "Eyewitness News" ... ? "Scientists that come on an predict the weather" ... ? DUH YEAH?

Old 12-10-2011, 08:42 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I like NBC's music the best here in Chicago:

Oh man if we're talking about the opening songs for local news, 6abc in Philly (WPVI) definitely wins first prize:

WPVI - 6pm Opening (11-2-10) - YouTube

This theme has been used for around forty years now and is one of the most famous in the country. It is universally known in southeast PA, South Jersey, and DE. People sing it drunk at parties haha.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:20 PM

8,610 posts, read 10,142,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I like NBC's music the best here in Chicago:

Having grown up in Chicago (family still there), I've always been fond of ABC 7 (WLS). I liked this opening from a few yrs back, as well as the music (they had used this music for years), but no longer. These are from a few years ago:

ABC 7 News at 10 Talent Rejoin - YouTube

ABC 7 News at 10pm close All Anchors - YouTube

Old 12-11-2011, 03:38 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? How am I being a homer? We were talking about how other stations around the USA that's called Eyewitness News.

Here's a station in New York City called Eyewitness News.

WABC 6PM News Open 2010 - YouTube
Sade Baderinwa was my first anchor Girlfriend (in my own mind). She was originally here in Baltimore. Funny to see people from the NYC area running to the market when they hear a snow storm coming.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:50 AM

This WJZ Eyewitness News in Baltimore: Manic Monday.....They do this every Monday.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7V0xuMih2Rk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 12-11-2011, 03:53 AM

2011 Chocolate Affair on WJZ's Manic Monday - YouTube (http://youtu.be/7V0xuMih2Rk - broken link)

They do this every monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City