Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 08:25 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelham3 View Post
it is more interesting to talk about smaller cities than NYC and Chicago, etc.

to me anyway. Was there a stipulation that we only talk about the monster city downtowns? Does size of city mean the downtowns are better?

A good example close to me is Ft Worth vs Dallas. Dallas is much larger and is getting better, but Ft Worth right now has a better downtown.
There are plenty of others, Salt Lake City has a great downtown as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 08:50 AM

12 posts, read 14,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Yeah it is. That's what happens when you control nothing in your city. You guys sit around talking about how lucky we are to have the Federal government to enslave us here in DC. We have no say so in what happens in our city. We also have no say so in what happens in this country since we lack representation in congress. We are the forgotten people in this country. People talk about how lucky we are, but people don't realize the cost we have paid to live in DC. The forgotten people. The grass is not always greener on the other side. We are basically in the housewife position. Definitely we have perks, but what are perks without power and freedom? What are perks without rights? We are the forgotten people.

Forgotten people? Really? Would it suck to not be able to vote? Yes! Having the federal government boost D.C. to what it has become is worth that though in MHO. Look what D.C. used to be and look what it is now.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:52 AM

12 posts, read 14,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
In cities like San Francisco, Boston, Philly where the neighborhoods sort of bleed into the core, it is harder to tell where downtown begins and ends. Other cities like Los Angeles and Chicago it is pretty cut-and-dry.

Philadelphia does mixed residential option's better than any other downtown in MHO. You can live with a family in a rowhouse or you can live in a highrise as a single person all in Center City. How many cities can say that?

Old 12-05-2013, 09:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityofBroLove View Post
Philadelphia does mixed residential option's better than any other downtown in MHO. You can live with a family in a rowhouse or you can live in a highrise as a single person all in Center City. How many cities can say that?
New York. A short walk from Times Square:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Midto...284.78,,0,-2.9

another:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Midto...,70.5,,0,-5.11

Old 12-05-2013, 09:14 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,338 times
How does Phoenix not get a mention. Come on now. They have 10 building, all extremely close to each other, and not to mention, Alice Cooper'stown....

Old 12-05-2013, 09:30 AM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
How does Phoenix not get a mention. Come on now. They have 10 building, all extremely close to each other, and not to mention, Alice Cooper'stown....
Well downtown Phoenix probably wouldn't crack the top 20 to be honest. Pizzeria Bianco may have the best pizza I've had anywhere in the US (Neopolitan style), CityScape has added more life recently but for a city of Phoenix's size the downtown leaves a lot to be desired. Old Town Scottsdale seems to have a lot more going on in that area. I will say with recent developments around Roosevelt Row and the light rail that downtown Phoenix seems to be making strides for more vibrancy, perhaps in 10 years or so we shall see.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:33 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Well downtown Phoenix probably wouldn't crack the top 20 to be honest. Pizzeria Bianco may have the best pizza I've had anywhere in the US (Neopolitan style), CityScape has added more life recently but for a city of Phoenix's size the downtown leaves a lot to be desired. Old Scottsdale seems has a lot more going on in that area.
Scottsdale definitely has more going. In regards to Phoenix, I was just kidding, I guess I have driven through it once. But I am still not quite sure.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:56 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I agree. Manhattan and Downtown Boston offer something similar that Center City has.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I agree. Manhattan and Downtown Boston offer something similar that Center City has.
the surrounding of Midtown Manhattan would be very similar to Center City Philly if it hadn't grown so fast and so much. You can see the shorter brownstones/row houses mixed in. I think it still would have been denser, since it was more space constrained but the difference less drastic. In the 1840s, NYC and Philly were close to the same size, but NYC was already denser, with lots of tenements.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:02 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
the surrounding of Midtown Manhattan would be very similar to Center City Philly if it hadn't grown so fast and so much. You can see the shorter brownstones/row houses mixed in. I think it still would have been denser, since it was more space constrained but the difference less drastic. In the 1840s, NYC and Philly were close to the same size, but NYC was already denser, with lots of tenements.
I find the Upper East Side to be very similar to Rittenhouse Square. I get a similar feel from the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City