Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:53 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I agree that NYC and Philly sprawl for hundreds of miles and definetly overlap. I'm talking about city urban lifestyles. DC and Baltimore city are close to each other and people go into each city easily. That is not the case in NYC proper and Philly proper. Technically in time, all the metro areas in the northeast will touch. But low density metro sprawl is not really what I'm talking about. I mean dense and urban DC proper and dense and urban Baltimore proper are down the street from each other and people in the Maryland counties can enjoy either with ease. This is not the case for NYC proper in relation to Philly proper for people in either metros. People in our region also attend each others sporting events easily. There is just no comparison.

Well it is 60 minutes from city center to city center via train and yes people do go into each of the other cities pretty easily. Though agree probably not proportionally the same but not uncommon at all

On sporting events; actually yes they do, quite regularly actually
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 07:22 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,265,606 times
Quote:
People in our region also attend each others sporting events easily. There is just no comparison.
Actually, people from our region sometimes outnumber the fans in your own ball parks: " . . . packs of Philadelphians often flock south to Nationals Park in Washington, sometimes making up a much larger portion of the crowd than Nationals fans themselves. Some Phillies enthusiasts have even begun calling the Nationals’ stadium “Citizens Bank Park South.Washington Nationals Launch Initiative to Keep Phillies Fans Away | NewsFeed | TIME.com

Old 05-03-2012, 07:40 AM

Also MD just as one example, Mercer county, basically the middle gorund so to speak has 64% of people either working in or residing in Mercer county traversing to another MSA; either NYC or Philly

The ratio of those that move accross these lines for work is NYC MSA 51%, Philly 49%

On the total employee base, either employed in or workers residng in Mercer the distribution is Mercer 29%, NYC 37%, and Philly 35%. Seems like basically a fully inter-related space in this sense.

There are more than 450K people that cross these lines for work every day between the MSAs in this space; not insignificant

Again the distance is further but the development is actually quite comparable to the build between DC and Baltimore and you made the transit comment, the transit is more widely used and better in this space actually

On the whole the tow cities absolutely retain more unique identities but the overlap is very significant and very intertwined

reference for commuter is contained within the below link
Locate Your Business to Greater Philadelphia with assistance from Select Greater Philadelphia

Old 05-03-2012, 11:41 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Actually, people from our region sometimes outnumber the fans in your own ball parks: " . . . packs of Philadelphians often flock south to Nationals Park in Washington, sometimes making up a much larger portion of the crowd than Nationals fans themselves. Some Phillies enthusiasts have even begun calling the Nationals’ stadium “Citizens Bank Park South.Washington Nationals Launch Initiative to Keep Phillies Fans Away | NewsFeed | TIME.com
Good luck with that this year! We have a reason to actually attend now, the nationals are winning for the first time since they started in D.C. Hope you enjoyed having the nationals be horrible why you could. Seems like DC is building more than buildings these days, we are also building winning franchises one by one. Capitals are near the top currently. Nationals are headed in the right direction. Redskins just signed RGIII. Urban development in the region is booming. Is there a better place to be than DC right now?

Old 05-03-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Good luck with that this year! We have a reason to actually attend now, the nationals are winning for the first time since they started in D.C.
LOL - Sounds like fair weather fans to me.

Nationals "Take Back The Park" From Phillies Fans, Give It Right Back To Them

Old 05-03-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Also MD just as one example, Mercer county, basically the middle gorund so to speak has 64% of people either working in or residing in Mercer county traversing to another MSA; either NYC or Philly

The ratio of those that move accross these lines for work is NYC MSA 51%, Philly 49%

On the total employee base, either employed in or workers residng in Mercer the distribution is Mercer 29%, NYC 37%, and Philly 35%. Seems like basically a fully inter-related space in this sense.

There are more than 450K people that cross these lines for work every day between the MSAs in this space; not insignificant

Again the distance is further but the development is actually quite comparable to the build between DC and Baltimore and you made the transit comment, the transit is more widely used and better in this space actually

On the whole the tow cities absolutely retain more unique identities but the overlap is very significant and very intertwined

reference for commuter is contained within the below link
Locate Your Business to Greater Philadelphia with assistance from Select Greater Philadelphia
Why do you keep talking about commuter rates? I'm talking about daily life. This region is actually connected by Montgomery County, Prince George's County, Anne Arundel County, and Howard County. That means people go to the shopping malls (Arundel Mills, Columbia Mall, Montgomery Mall, PG Plaza etc. etc.), movie theaters (Majestic Silver Spring, Columbia Mall Movie Theater, Arundel Mills Movie Theater), and most people in the DC suburbs fly out of BWI etc. etc. Philadelphia and NYC are worlds apart. There is really no comparison between the two. Our region here in the DC/Bmore area acts as one region. The real difference is how much Virginia is an outlier. Now that is a different conversation. I don't know anyone who goes to Virginia for anything. It's like a different world for most people I know in D.C. and Maryland. At least for black people, they don't really travel south into Virginia for anything unless we are going to Pentagon City. Other than that, nobody goes to Virginia for anything. Virginia is more of an outlier than the Baltimore suburbs in my opinion.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Fair weather? You have to establish a fan base to have fair weather fans. This team just got here. This has been Baltimore Orioles country for a long time and many people still are Orioles fans. Just like most people from Baltimore are capitals fans and attend games regularly. Our region is night and day to NYC and Philly.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Why do you keep talking about commuter rates? I'm talking about daily life. This region is actually connected by Montgomery County, Prince George's County, Anne Arundel County, and Howard County. That means people go to the shopping malls (Arundel Mills, Columbia Mall, Montgomery Mall, PG Plaza etc. etc.), movie theaters (Majestic Silver Spring, Columbia Mall Movie Theater, Arundel Mills Movie Theater), and most people in the DC suburbs fly out of BWI etc. etc. Philadelphia and NYC are worlds apart. There is really no comparison between the two. Our region here in the DC/Bmore area acts as one region. The real difference is how much Virginia is an outlier. Now that is a different conversation. I don't know anyone who goes to Virginia for anything. It's like a different world for most people I know in D.C. and Maryland. At least for black people, they don't really travel south into Virginia for anything unless we are going to Pentagon City. Other than that, nobody goes to Virginia for anything. Virginia is more of an outlier than the Baltimore suburbs in my opinion.

And that is my point (in daily life there is no boundary); do you think people dont cross lines to shop, play, work, explore, visit etc.

the connected piece is as connected; to the poles the cities are more independant

And glad the Caps are doing ok but looks like the Flyers and Rangers in the east finals if you ask me

BTW the eagles may have had the best draft in the NFL, definately NFC East

Will see how many Phils fans in DC this weekend actually

Also for BWI not sure; dulles is the busier airport in the area

On that point you do realize people from the Philly metro fly from EWR and people from the NYC metro use PHL

Again I agree that DC and Balt are more connected but in the space that overlaps (which is only a small percentage compared to DC) the intermingling is basically identical; just curious have you lived in this space. I have lived in both

Old 05-03-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And that is my point; do you think people dont cross lines to shop, play, work, explore, visit etc.

the connected piece is as connected; to the poles the cities are more independant

And glad the Caps are doing ok but looks like the Flyers and Rangers in the east finals if you ask me

BTW the eagles may have had the best draft in the NFL, definately NFC East

Will see how many Phils fans in DC this weekend actually
So you are trying to tell me that people from Philadelphia travel to Jersey Garden's Mall in Elizabeth NJ after work for a little shopping from day to day. LOL....this is getting ridiculous.....

Nobody is talking about exurb intermingling. I'm talking about real single region core city intermingling. NYC and Philly don't fit the bill. People in Baltimore can travel to Tyson's Corner for upscale shopping after work when ever they want to. How many people from New York City travel to King of Prussia for shopping after work sometimes. I'm sure this has been a joke right? I'm sure you were playing this whole time so it's all fun.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Fair weather? You have to establish a fan base to have fair weather fans. This team just got here.
If DC can't attract fans, maybe it shouldn't have been awarded a team. At least it provides an option for Phillies fans who can't get into our sold out park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City