Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:40 PM

717 posts, read 2,807,889 times

Advertisements

I would very much like to get opinions as to what cities you all feel are the friendliest places you have been to in our great country. I grew up in a very small mid-western town where everybody knew almost everybody; you could talk to a total stranger without them thinking you were loony; and on the country roads you waved at just about all who passed your way.

I've lived in Illinois, Pennsylvania, North Carolina & Florida. Now that I have raised my kids and they have their lives to plan, I am looking for a change. My travels have kept me mostly in the eastern half of the country--so that is all I can relate to. I hate to make generalizations, because that is exactly what they are. One can find something of everything just about everywhere...but I really want to know what you all believe to be the friendliest cities in the country (LOL) USA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 12:21 AM

559 posts, read 1,757,088 times
whenever i meet a visitor they tell me my city (oklahoma city) is the friendliest theyve been to. i would tend to agree.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:58 PM

I've only been to Oklahoma City 1X--many years ago. I believe I went to one of the museums there. The only other thing I remember is going into a huge panic attack because I came upon a dust squall over the interstate and I could not see a thing. It was worse than rain, snow, fog, anything I had ever driven thru. It's funny that I have never forgotten that as it was probably 25 yrs. ago now. I have explored the southeast and very shortly plan to take off for the southwest--like before the end of the month. I know I am looking for some place where the sun shines a lot and has a warm climate. I can deal with a little bit of cold, but not the mos. of grey skies. As I will be starting my own business/practice--I am looking for a decnt economic climate (LOL) and friendly folks. I would like to feel like I am going to take root somewhere--and that would be a whole new experience for me in itself....thanks for your input

Old 01-08-2009, 08:01 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
I would very much like to get opinions as to what cities you all feel are the friendliest places you have been to in our great country. I grew up in a very small mid-western town where everybody knew almost everybody; you could talk to a total stranger without them thinking you were loony; and on the country roads you waved at just about all who passed your way.

I've lived in Illinois, Pennsylvania, North Carolina & Florida. Now that I have raised my kids and they have their lives to plan, I am looking for a change. My travels have kept me mostly in the eastern half of the country--so that is all I can relate to. I hate to make generalizations, because that is exactly what they are. One can find something of everything just about everywhere...but I really want to know what you all believe to be the friendliest cities in the country (LOL) USA!
I'd say Nashville and Louisville.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:05 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Milwaukee was ridiculous with friendliness. Like Ridiculous

Old 01-08-2009, 08:10 PM

Alanboy--what part of southern VA? I just returned from 2 weeks in Williamsburg & Richmond area. Southern VA is sooooo different than northern. I used to live in Harrisburg,PA and made many many trips to Baltimore/DC/Leesburg etc. I hate driving thru DC more than I hate driving thru New York City.

I actually looked at a few small apts. in Williamsburg--but decided I could not move up there until I had explored the southwest--esp. Texas.

When I lived in southern Il, I made many trips to Nashville & Louisville. Louisville was usually just driving thru--but I have gone to Nashville many times--LOVE THE PEOPLE THERE TOO! Just a little too much winter for me.

What towns/cities would you rank up there in S. VA?

Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 PM

Ahhh...Milwaukee....must be all the happy hours! Actually, it's us mid-westerners. I was born in Chicago area and I find Chicago to be pretty friendly for a city as huge as it is.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:21 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
Well, pretty much any city in the Midwestern area will be friendly, I could just say Omaha is friendly, but so is Des Moines, OKC, Louisville etc. I think it'll just be a preference for yourself on where you pick, because if its in the Miwest, its bound to be friendly.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:23 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,011,331 times
My vote is Jacksonville, FL.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:26 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
I know it's too cold, but I vote Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City