Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which middle Midwest metro is best: Kansas City, Saint Louis, Omaha, Indianapolis
Kansas City MO 59 29.80%
Saint Louis MO 90 45.45%
Omaha NE 19 9.60%
Indianapolis IN 30 15.15%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:48 PM

148 posts, read 403,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Indy, its nice. I wouldnt live in St. Louis or Kansas City
Kansas City has nearly the EXACT urban housing stock of Indianapolis, but with stronger urban commercial districts throughout the city, bigger apartment districts, way more interesting topography, a more progressive, artsy vibe, and a more interesting history being on the major river and rail lines west. There is more diversity in the suburban housing stock than Indy, too, with the Kansas side having a kind of southwest-light vibe. Not my cup of tea but whatever. Kansas City is kind of a more urban and west coast facing version of Indy, that's sunnier. I live exactly between both cities and well, visit Kansas City a hell of a lot more than Indy.

St. Louis has actual, real 19th century rowhouses in good neighborhoods, but I understand not everyone is into that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 09:35 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAndBeer View Post
Kansas City and Indianapolis are somewhat similar, with the edge to Kansas City, which is artsier and a little more urban with the exception of having a downtown that isn't as put together (yet) as Indy (which has a "put together" downtown but it's not as interesting). However, Indianapolis is convenient to Chicago and Lake Michigan and a huge chunk of the midwest and has better local politics.

Omaha is a smaller version of Kansas City, with some arts-y-ness.

St. Louis is the most interesting and urban and random and certainly has the oldest funkiest ambiance at it's best, but with a little more baggage than the rest. The art scene is improving and it's certainly edgier than any of the others.

The "problem" with Indy is that it's so close to Cincinnati or Chicago. I mean I'd rather live in one of those two.

Omaha has sort of an under-rated urban core size and good definable local culture. I'd actually rather live there than Indianapolis, which is one of the most over-rated cities in the midwest.

St. Louis
Kansas City
Omaha
Indianapolis
My thoughts exactly, although I would probably choose Indy over Omaha just because it's larger and has more to do and is closer to other large cities.

Indy is incredibly overrated when it comes to its urban built environment. It has a nice lively downtown, but I really do think KC is pretty far ahead of Indy when it comes to big city feel and amenities. It just has a pretty good edge over Indy when it comes to things to do and culture, arts etc. KC has some incredible urban districts outside of downtown that just don't exisit in Indy.

The same can be said about St Louis when compared to KC. While KC is closing the gap somewhat, St Louis just has a much larger and more established built environment and the metro is more continuously urbananized than metro KC, making it feel like a bigger city and metro. St Louis also has a much more vibrant urban university scene than KC, something I think KC really lacks.

Omaha really is a small version of KCMO with a really nice dense urban linear core and some nice continuous density all the way into the western suburbs. But at under 1 million people, the city is just way too small to have the amenities I prefer in a city. Omaha's urban core can give Indy a run for its money though and they have a nice river walk, one of the best zoos in the nation, a top arena and performing arts center and a great urban university. I still can't believe the AAA baseball team in Omaha is not playing downtown though and Omaha should probably have an NHL team.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:39 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
STL has Cleveland by about 800k people give or take metro population.
I don't think so. They are roughly the same, but STL should always be considered slightly larger.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:28 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Omaha really is a small version of KCMO with a really nice dense urban linear core and some nice continuous density all the way into the western suburbs. But at under 1 million people, the city is just way too small to have the amenities I prefer in a city. Omaha's urban core can give Indy a run for its money though and they have a nice river walk, one of the best zoos in the nation, a top arena and performing arts center and a great urban university. I still can't believe the AAA baseball team in Omaha is not playing downtown though and Omaha should probably have an NHL team.
Don't even get me started on the AAA issue! Also the only major league sport I can see Omaha getting at this point is MLS, unless something drastically changes in the big four. I am sure KC is in line for NHL before Omaha anyways.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:47 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
...and being called a Hoosier in St. Louis is a insult.
........and calling the dreck they sell at Imo's "pizza" is considered an insult everywhere outside of St. Louis.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:08 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I don't think so. They are roughly the same, but STL should always be considered slightly larger.
No, Cleveland CSA is about the size of STL MSA. Cleveland MSA is just over 2 million so about 800k smaller than STL.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:30 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
Don't even get me started on the AAA issue! Also the only major league sport I can see Omaha getting at this point is MLS, unless something drastically changes in the big four. I am sure KC is in line for NHL before Omaha anyways.
The CWS stadium is too big for their needs. Hell, Rosenblatt was too big. Seems like they are doing well in their own stadium. As for NHL, it will never happen. Omaha is not a major league sports town and never will be. Personally, I'm happy with the two levels of hockey they have.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:23 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
...and being called a Hoosier in St. Louis is a insult.

I couldn't live in any of those cities.
Hence why alot of people are saying they couldnt live in St Louis
I dont blame them

Also Indianapolis will be the FIRST Northern City to be put on the Super Bowl host rotation list. Our city did such a great job there is calls for another bid later this decade. Detroit had to build 2 stadiums to get 2 SBs. Indy only had to build Lucas Oil and cause its such a nice facility the NFL is coming back.
No other City in the Midwest/North can say that. Minneapolis/Detroit/Indianapolis are the only 3 northern cities to host a Super Bowl. New York City gets a one time deal due to the NFL being HQed there.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:46 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Hence why alot of people are saying they couldnt live in St Louis
I dont blame them

Also Indianapolis will be the FIRST Northern City to be put on the Super Bowl host rotation list. Our city did such a great job there is calls for another bid later this decade. Detroit had to build 2 stadiums to get 2 SBs. Indy only had to build Lucas Oil and cause its such a nice facility the NFL is coming back.
No other City in the Midwest/North can say that. Minneapolis/Detroit/Indianapolis are the only 3 northern cities to host a Super Bowl. New York City gets a one time deal due to the NFL being HQed there.
In the meantime, they still can't get the College World Series away from Omaha.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:56 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,283 times
I just got back from a trip to Indy, and I'd have to say Indy would probably be on the top of my list. The city really impressed me. It was clean, active and had a great youthful vibe mixed with older elements like monuments, old store fronts and brick roads. I never thought of Indy as being overrated. I thought it was more underrated because it has to shed an image it still holds from its pre-revitalization when Vonnegut described it as a place to shoot pigeons. Not to mention monikers it's been given like Naptown and India-no-place. It don't think it is exactly a poll sweeper around here either, is it?

I thought it stood well against KC, but then again I went to Indy not weighting it against elements that KC has or even that KC lacks. It made for a nice trip. The best part had to be when they reopened catacombs beneath the city for the first time in over 100 years below the City Market. Any Hoosiers go to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City