Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro region?
Minneapolis-St. Paul 48 23.19%
Los Angeles 46 22.22%
Chicago 6 2.90%
Philadelphia 11 5.31%
New York 10 4.83%
Bay Area 1 0.48%
Dallas-Ft. Worth 56 27.05%
Houston 12 5.80%
Phoenix 5 2.42%
Other 12 5.80%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:06 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
MoA has around 520 stores... KoP has just over 400. Not only we have the largest we also have the first enclosed mall, Southdale Center in Edina.
The King Of Prussia has over 2.7 millions sq ft of retail space. There's also a 140,000 sq ft expansion under construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 06:22 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Ironically it's not Minneapolis/St. Paul, and I don't even know if they (we) crack the top 10. Dallas and Chicago are often cited as the mall meccas of the U.S., based on total SF of retail space.

Mall of America may be the biggest (or 2nd, or 3rd, or whatever it currently is) but bigger does not always equal better. What you CAN say about the Mall of America is that it is one of the most successful (if not THE most successful) malls in the country and the world. The location, proximity to area businesses and population, and accessibility are nearly impossible to repeat in other cities -- and MANY have tried! Most cities that try to emulate the "super mall" effect don't seem to understand that its location and opportunity are what make the Mall of America so successful. In the end though, it's just a larger version of your average everyday mall, with a few special exceptions.

The MOA is planning on expanding another 2 to 5 million SF as it's been over 20 years since it opened. If it's not the largest mall today it WILL BE in a few years.....just to be outdone by some other mall in some other city. All that matters is that regional/super-regional malls cater to the population nearby and don't steal retail away from other successful districts (it should ADD to the retail mix, not redistribute it). The MOA has profoundly negatively impacted downtown Minneapolis retail shopping, and it's nearly killed it!

Be careful what you wish for, huh?!

Old 07-17-2012, 06:45 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Ironically it's not Minneapolis/St. Paul, and I don't even know if they (we) crack the top 10. Dallas and Chicago are often cited as the mall meccas of the U.S., based on total SF of retail space.

Mall of America may be the biggest (or 2nd, or 3rd, or whatever it currently is) but bigger does not always equal better. What you CAN say about the Mall of America is that it is one of the most successful (if not THE most successful) malls in the country and the world. The location, proximity to area businesses and population, and accessibility are nearly impossible to repeat in other cities -- and MANY have tried! Most cities that try to emulate the "super mall" effect don't seem to understand that its location and opportunity are what make the Mall of America so successful. In the end though, it's just a larger version of your average everyday mall, with a few special exceptions.

The MOA is planning on expanding another 2 to 5 million SF as it's been over 20 years since it opened. If it's not the largest mall today it WILL BE in a few years.....just to be outdone by some other mall in some other city. All that matters is that regional/super-regional malls cater to the population nearby and don't steal retail away from other successful districts (it should ADD to the retail mix, not redistribute it). The MOA has profoundly negatively impacted downtown Minneapolis retail shopping, and it's nearly killed it!

Be careful what you wish for, huh?!

Good points KOP (Today more retail SF than MOA) did damage to CC Philly. Rumor (pretty decent speculation) is this week that a Saks, and Barneys are going to join our only Dept Store Macys in the coming 12/15 months (One to likely move into to NYC based Daffy space that went bankrupt, the company in total) plus other speculation on a century 21 in Market East (that I will believe when I see, ME/Gallery is an awful mall). That said KOP Mall is currently finishing a 800K SF addition and just approaved another 1 Million SF additon with another 1.4 million SF right accross the street under contruction. I hate these places. But to your points on location. KOP sits at the intersection of 5 highways a edge CBD of nearly 25 million sq ft of office space and some of the wealthiest zips in th country. Guess there is a reason why it does continue to be succesfull, best part to me is that CC shopping is better than it has been in probably 30+ years.

I hope the same for MSP and the DT; more SF scares me in these places honestly whether it be KOP or MOA or Tyspns I, II or a Galleria etc.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:46 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,670,588 times
Just because dallas has most malls per cap doesn't make it mall capital people all around the world visit new york and los angeles to shop.....not to come off rude but who outside of dallas heard of a dallas mall lol people come to L.A for malls your favorite rapper or movie star or athlete could be seen any given day of the week at the beverly center or fox hills mall not to mention the south coast plaza in orange county is the number 1 money making mall in america

Old 07-17-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Just because dallas has most malls per cap doesn't make it mall capital people all around the world visit new york and los angeles to shop.....not to come off rude but who outside of dallas heard of a dallas mall lol people come to L.A for malls your favorite rapper or movie star or athlete could be seen any given day of the week at the beverly center or fox hills mall not to mention the south coast plaza in orange county is the number 1 money making mall in america
But everyone has heard of Neiman-Marucs, which is from Dallas. Actually, I've never heard of South Coast Plaza or Beverly Center.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:14 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Dallas and Chicago are often cited as the mall meccas of the U.S., based on total SF of retail space.
According to Esri, Phoenix, Houston, Las Vegas, Orlando, Philadelphia, New York and Los Angeles have more leaseable Mall space than either of the two you mentioned. Phoenix has a whopping 39M sq feet of rentable retail space Anyway Dallas does not have the most malls, they do not have the most sq footage, they do not have the most stores, They do not have the most of these per capita either. Dallas has a lot of upscale shopping, but it does not really have the most of anything.

Esri Data | Major Shopping Centers Data

ESRI ranks them as follows

Number of Malls:
1. Houston- 58
2. San Antonio- 41
3. Phoenix- 40
4. Columbus- 32
5. Austin- 31
6. Philadelphia- 29
7. Dallas-28
8. Jacksonville- 25
9. Memphis- 24
10. Chicago- 22
11. San Diego-22
12. Baltimore- 21
13. Los Angeles- 15

Don't ask me what they consider a mall, I have no idea how they came up with this listing

Number of Individual stores:
1. New York- 76,000
2. Los Angeles- 40,000
3. Chicago- 30,000
4. Philadelphia- 21,000
5. Dallas Fort Worth- 19,000
6. Houston- 17,000
7. Boston 17,000
8. San Francisco- 14,000
9. Phoenix- 12,000
10. Seattle- 11,000

Sorry I didn't find Miami or Atlanta

Quote:
Dallas is not even in the top ten for malls per capita

Old 07-17-2012, 07:17 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,670,588 times
Lmao ok bro if you feel dallas is mall capital you got it but numbers don't lie and btw I've never heard of those dallas malls you mentioned

Old 07-17-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Lmao ok bro if you feel dallas is mall capital you got it but numbers don't lie and btw I've never heard of those dallas malls you mentioned
I never said Dallas was the mall capital, but Dallas is one of the best shopping cities in the Nation. NorthPark Center and South Coast Plaza both have annual sales over 1 billion.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:34 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
After doing research I would rank the Mall Capitals as follows:

1. Los Angeles- Major malls that contributed a lot to popular culture, malls and cars go hand in hand.
2. Miami- The metro itself is a shopping destination and has many major huge malls
3. Houston- Because of the number and size of the malls
4. Philadelphia- For having the King of malls
5. New York- Big Daddy of stores and a pioneer in early shopping centers

Chicago, Minneapolis, Atlanta,, Phonenix, Seattle, Dallas, Orlanda and Las Vegas would come next

Old 07-17-2012, 07:41 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Good points KOP (Today more retail SF than MOA) did damage to CC Philly. Rumor (pretty decent speculation) is this week that a Saks, and Barneys are going to join our only Dept Store Macys in the coming 12/15 months (One to likely move into to NYC based Daffy space that went bankrupt, the company in total) plus other speculation on a century 21 in Market East (that I will believe when I see, ME/Gallery is an awful mall). That said KOP Mall is currently finishing a 800K SF addition and just approaved another 1 Million SF additon with another 1.4 million SF right accross the street under contruction. I hate these places. But to your points on location. KOP sits at the intersection of 5 highways a edge CBD of nearly 25 million sq ft of office space and some of the wealthiest zips in th country. Guess there is a reason why it does continue to be succesfull, best part to me is that CC shopping is better than it has been in probably 30+ years.

I hope the same for MSP and the DT; more SF scares me in these places honestly whether it be KOP or MOA or Tyspns I, II or a Galleria etc.
Sounds to me like you're getting the best of both worlds: inner city AND super-regional mall resurgence! Doesn't sound like what happened to Minneapolis.

The MOA's expansion is fluctuating from the 4.5 million SF original proposal to the current, "recession-appropriate", 2.0-2.5 million SF of retail space in addition to some new office space and a major hotel......so who knows what will shake out. It's as close to 100% leased as a mall can be and I've never been there on a "slow" day (it's always packed and there's always traffic going into or out of the mall).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City